pixeltracker

can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked- Page 2

can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked

brdlwyr
#25Gene Wygandt
Posted: 3/24/05 at 10:18am

Congratulations to three time Jeff Award winner Gene Weygandt who will play the Wizard. Also, Steppenwolf member Rondi Reed will play Madame Morrible!

baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
#26Gene Wygandt
Posted: 3/24/05 at 10:25am

I disagree that Hugh Jackman was stunt casting. Hugh has a decent amount of stage roles under his belt. That fact that he became a major movie star who returned to the stage is not stunt casting in my opinion.

The truly beautiful should be lawfully restricted from wearing clothing; and the truly butt-ugly should be lawfully mandated from going naked.

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#27Gene Wygandt
Posted: 3/24/05 at 10:27am

i heart hugh..HE is damn good...people who think not I think are just not giving him a chance!

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

sfs1414
#28Gene Wygandt
Posted: 3/24/05 at 10:53am

I saw here in Funny Girl in Pittsburg. She sang very well. Very nasally at some parts. But it worked.

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#29Gene Wygandt
Posted: 3/24/05 at 11:09am

but can she do Elphaba?

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#30can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked
Posted: 3/24/05 at 11:30am

Someone obviously thinks she can do it. She had to audition, I'm sure they didn't just give it to her. As far as it being stunt casting. It's not like she is that huge of a name.

She will probably be feirce and then people will be like, "Ana is life!"
Updated On: 3/24/05 at 11:30 AM

PerhapsACreamPuff Profile Photo
PerhapsACreamPuff
#31can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked
Posted: 3/24/05 at 11:36am

I'd say she's a big enough name for stunt casting. SNL personalities are fairly well known in the US and a lot of them go on to gain even more recognition. Obviously she had to audition, and I'm sure she has a solid voice, but I wouldn't be surprised if she edged out someone who was slightly better qualified just for the name.

Whether or not she's good, it's still going to be hilarious seeing all the 14 year old girls adding "OMG ANA GASTEYERRRRRR!!!11!!1OMG" to their gushing agenda.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Hilda, Hilda, wake up! I've invented a maneuver.

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#32can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked
Posted: 3/24/05 at 11:46am

I would define stunt casting as hiring someone famous from TV, films, or recording (but lacking a strong theatrical background) simply because their name will sell tickets. Melanie Griffith and Drew Lachey are examples of stunt casting. It is most unfair to include Hugh Jackman in this list. He had proven himself to be not only a stage actor but an accomplished muscial theater leading man prior to his Broadway appearances. From Playbill: "Hugh last appeared on the New York stage starring opposite Audra McDonald in a concert production of Carousel at Carnegie Hall. Other stage appearances include Curly in Oklahoma! at Britain's National Theatre (Olivier Award nomination), Joe Gillis in Sunset Boulevard (MO Award - Australia's Tony Award) and Gaston in Disney's Beauty and the Beast (MO Award nomination)." I would hardly call someone who had had three award nominated leading roles in major musical theater productions an example of "stunt casting."

Mimi Imfurst
#33can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked
Posted: 3/24/05 at 12:01pm

tell me that boy from oz would have sold any tickets without hugh and ill agree. regardless of how good he was, or what he had done in the past- he was cast becase of his name and because it sold tickets. I think his name was bigger than the boy from oz font. granted- hugh was AMAZING, and totally well deserving of the part, but come on- you can't tell me he wasnt a shell in because of his movie fame too.

I think that when a celebrity (outside of the theatre world) is cast in a role and them playing the role is the focus of the advertising- the producers are in a stunt casting mindset.

NYC's Most Retarded Drag Queen The Mimi Show: hosted by Mimi Imfurst features Broadway stars Tuesdays @ 10:30pm Weekly! June 13th: Hairspray's Michelle Dowdy, June 20th: Aida's Lori Ann Strunk, June 27th: Composer Katie Thompson No Cover- No Drink Minimum OW BAR: 221 E 58th Street (between 2nd and 3rd) www.owbar.com

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#34can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked
Posted: 3/24/05 at 12:06pm

I had the pleasure of seeing Gastayer in "The Vagina Monologues" a few seasons ago. She is a fine actress. As for her singing, many of her best SNL sketches were built around her vocal abilities. I believe there is a "legit" voice there. She had the guts to do Fanny in "Funny Girl" and we all know what a treacherous course that is to navigate. I have tix for the show in Chicago prior to Gastayer taking on the role, but am already making plans for a return trip to see her. I too think she will surprise a lot of people.

PerhapsACreamPuff
#35can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked
Posted: 3/24/05 at 12:07pm

Another component of stunt casting, though, is that without the Hollywood name, the actor would never get the role. Joey Fatone would have been turned down if he auditioned for Mark and had never been in Backstreet Boys. If Hugh had never done X Men and whatever other big hollywood films, I have virtually no doubt that he still would have played Peter Allen and not that they would have brought in some big name movie star instead.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Mimi Imfurst
#36can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked
Posted: 3/24/05 at 12:10pm

I sure he could have landed the the part, but the show would never have opened without hugh. (stunt casting) Boy from oz had more problems than a therapy session with liza minelli.

for instance- i watched it thinking, who stole the scenery? where did it go? or where is peter allen's chorus. A true peter allen show would have a huge chorus of dancing girls (and boys) its sad to see a huge song about wanting to be a rocket done with 6 girls. (and mirrors to try to mask it?- please) If the producers hadnt shelled out so much money paying hugh's sallary, im sure that they could have affrorded the much needed set and chorus.

NYC's Most Retarded Drag Queen The Mimi Show: hosted by Mimi Imfurst features Broadway stars Tuesdays @ 10:30pm Weekly! June 13th: Hairspray's Michelle Dowdy, June 20th: Aida's Lori Ann Strunk, June 27th: Composer Katie Thompson No Cover- No Drink Minimum OW BAR: 221 E 58th Street (between 2nd and 3rd) www.owbar.com
Updated On: 3/24/05 at 12:10 PM

#37can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked
Posted: 3/24/05 at 12:18pm

This board is obsessed with "Stunt Casting." First, no one seems to be able to spell Anna Whats-her-faces name. Can we agree that the very definition of stunt casting include the fact that most people can spell the "superstar's" name? Second, go out on the street right now and ask 100 people "who is Anna Gasteyer?" What's the percentage who can identify her? 3%? 4% That would be generous I'd say. The Producers of this show are betting $10,000,000 on this production. They are not going to cast someone who can not play the part. I will predict right now: If they are 1 week into rehearsals and she hits a wrong note, she will be recast. This is a tremendous undertaking here in Chicago. They will NOT allow a secoond rate performance.

And finally, Perhaps a Cream Puff, you may never post on this board again. Really. Joey Fatone was never in Backstreet Boys. Got that? Never. In. Backstreet. Boys. Go look it up.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#38less of a typical babe -- a good thing
Posted: 3/24/05 at 12:22pm

Actually, with her look and demeanor, she may give us something closer to the MaGuire Elphaba. A strong face, and a bit of edge that oddly enough pays homage to the Margaret Hamilton character MaGuire's book makes no bones about that sort of 'look' -- so that her emerging as a witch felt plausible. She was never a typical heroine, or a 'babe.' -- Idina, wonderful as she was, is a babe. Gasteyer will be a commanding presence, no? As for her age, she's probably not way older than Menzel (5 years?) And the role might benefit from some well used comic energy.

And maybe it's just my taste, but since she's striking but not pretty,' she'll contrast even better with Glinda. AND: doesn't it make the late-bloming romance with more typical Fiyero more poignant? Kinda of Fanny/Nicky's it, which helps, to me. He will fall for this woman because of who she is.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 3/24/05 at 12:22 PM

GirlforTartaglia Profile Photo
GirlforTartaglia
#39can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked
Posted: 3/24/05 at 12:23pm

I wish Ms Gasteyer luck! :)

And the other thing about the Phantom Lady was, Bert, she realized, in the city that never sleeps... What did she realize, Kitten? That all the songs she'd listened to, all the love songs, that they were only songs. What's wrong with that? Nothing, if you don't believe in them. But she did, you see. She believed in enchanted evenings, and she believed that a small cloud passed overhead and cried down on a flower bed, and she even believed there was breakfast to be had... Where? On Pluto. The mysterious, icy wastes of Pluto.

Mimi Imfurst
#40can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked
Posted: 3/24/05 at 12:37pm

i want to say that, by in no means am i employing the idea that Anna can't sing and act the part, i actually think she can... i just cant remember how well she sings. For me that's a totally different issue than stunt casting.....I actually believe in stunt casting, on certain terms.

JC14
#41can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked
Posted: 3/24/05 at 12:47pm

Since we're being picky...it's Ana Gastayer.

GirlforTartaglia Profile Photo
GirlforTartaglia
#42can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked
Posted: 3/24/05 at 12:51pm

Sorry

And the other thing about the Phantom Lady was, Bert, she realized, in the city that never sleeps... What did she realize, Kitten? That all the songs she'd listened to, all the love songs, that they were only songs. What's wrong with that? Nothing, if you don't believe in them. But she did, you see. She believed in enchanted evenings, and she believed that a small cloud passed overhead and cried down on a flower bed, and she even believed there was breakfast to be had... Where? On Pluto. The mysterious, icy wastes of Pluto.

commasplice
#43can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked
Posted: 3/24/05 at 12:54pm

"Since we're being picky...it's Ana Gastayer."

Actually, it's Ana Gasteyer, unless IMDB and IBDB are wrong.

On the subject of casting, I read in today's paper that local actress Heidi Kettenring has been cast as Nessarose.

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#44can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked
Posted: 3/24/05 at 1:15pm

I'm sure she'll be great. She has a lot of power and I thnk will act it well. I think being older will give us a different take on the role. I would not be surprised at all to see her move to the Gershwin when Shoshana leaves. She is well known in NY.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

PerhapsACreamPuff
#45can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked
Posted: 3/24/05 at 3:23pm

Perhaps a Cream Puff, you may never post on this board again. Really. Joey Fatone was never in Backstreet Boys. Got that? Never. In. Backstreet. Boys. Go look it up.

Er, NSync, whatever, sorry but the idea's the same.

4 8 15 16 23 42

#46can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked
Posted: 3/24/05 at 3:27pm

"Er, NSync, whatever, sorry but the idea's the same."

It's like saying that Stephen Sondheim sucks since he wrote Cats.

PerhapsACreamPuff
#47can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked
Posted: 3/24/05 at 3:36pm

No, I didn't say Joey sucked. I said he was given special consideration because of NSync. If Joey Fatone had come in and auditioned for Mark without any prior fame, there would have been a much slimmer chance of him getting the part than if he came in with a big name when they wanted to pull in bigger crowds. Whether or not he actually performed the part acceptably is a different issue.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Di2
#48can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked
Posted: 3/24/05 at 3:49pm

you guys are f*cking HILARIOUS!

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#49can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked
Posted: 3/24/05 at 3:52pm

Casting Joey McIntyre in Wicked was possiblity the worst stunt-casting ever. I have my doubts about Ana, but hopefully she'll prove me wrong.