final Good Vibrations?

birdboy782
#0final Good Vibrations?
Posted: 4/25/05 at 12:18am

Was anyone at the final performance of Good Vibrations today? Any closing speech? Creative team present? How was the cast? Anything at all would be great to hear about it...

Personally, I enjoyed the show when I saw it - largely due to the casts great energy and committment to it. I thought they were really talented -- and I couldn't sense any negativity from the first row. Which must have been quite a feat given the backstage drama and those reviews! Anyway, I wish all of those performers luck on their next job...I saw All Shook Up in Chicago...I'm guessing before some heavy revisions were made...as I certainly thought GV was a lot more fun. The ASU plot may have been better - but guess why? It's Shakespeare! Kind of painful to watch an Elvis spliced version of 12th Night, but that's just my opinion...Maybe if Good Vibrations would have ripped off Macbeth and tacked on the Beach Boys songs, the critics could have been fooled again...

bryan
#1re: final Good Vibrations?
Posted: 4/25/05 at 12:23am

no i did not go but it is sad to see it gone. do you think that this show should have had a cast ablum made of the show.

AlienOnBroadway
#2re: final Good Vibrations?
Posted: 4/25/05 at 12:32am

bryan babe, it ain't gonna happen. I'd love it if they got a cast album, but I really don't think anyone is going to finance it now...

birdboy: I didn't go to the show due to being geographically challenged, but I have some very awesome friends who did and filled me in during the day.
The show was HIGH energy and many of the cast were quite emotional during the show. David Larsen, in particular. (But heck, he's been Bobby since the Vassar production!) They sad that there were SEVERAL bursts of applause from the audience and a StandingO during and after Sail On Sailor, which apparently was OFF THE CHARTS INCREDIBLE today!

After the show, the cast appeared sad, but upbeat and appreciative of the crowd of people cheering for them as they exited the stage door.

I am sure that someone who was there can give you a more thorough account. I wish they had stuck it out until summer for the tourist crowds, but I can't blame the producers for pulling the plug due to finance concerns. It really is too bad for the cast, but I honestly believe a lot of them have bright futures on the stage. Be it on Bway or elsewhere...
Updated On: 4/25/05 at 12:32 AM

birdboy782
#3re: final Good Vibrations?
Posted: 4/25/05 at 12:32am

Yeah, I wish they would have stayed til summer, too. I'm really hyper critical of shows - and I may have gone into this with a different set of expectations - but that isn't a bad thing. I enjoyed it much more than some of the "serious" musicals or shows on Broadway right now. But once again, probably largely due to the casts great energy. They really gave it to us. Also exciting to see fellow young people with big talent getting their "chance" - and looking like they're really having FUN! Hope they find jobs soon! By the way, did anyone else see Allison Spratt on the non-eq tour of Cabaret as Sally? She was really great...

Updated On: 4/25/05 at 12:32 AM

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#4re: final Good Vibrations?
Posted: 4/25/05 at 1:05am

I saw it, and I have probably never seen such joy on stage before. Nor have I ever seen more tears. It was a beautiful theater experience. Yes, David Larsen cried quite a bit. So did Tituss Burgess and Brandon Wardell. During Sail on Sailor, the line between show and reality definitely blurred and there were many lines that felt all too real. When the three guys said goodbye to each other, when David Larsen turns and looks at the whole cast, all of "God Only Knows What I'd Be Without You" as the cast sang it to each other... people in the audience definitely started crying along with the performers. When David Larsen said his line about finally reaching that magical land called California and that summer being "the best part of us", I couldn't believe how true it felt.
Good Vibrations had more heart and soul this afternoon than I have seen in any show in a long time. I'm thinking about William Finn's song about Peggy Hewett where the tag line keeps singing "but look at the joy...". That's how I felt this afternoon. Flaws and terrible aspects and all, this incredible cast reminded me of what theater really is. The energy and the passion and the love for sharing a story with people... today, Good Vibrations really came together and touched a lot of people. And it did this other days as well.
I hope everyone in that cast is immensely successful. They definitely deserve it.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

birdboy782
#5re: final Good Vibrations?
Posted: 4/25/05 at 2:02am

Thanks for the great review...very touching. No speeches though? Any creative team members in attendance?

Jamie Pierce Profile Photo
Jamie Pierce
#6re: final Good Vibrations?
Posted: 4/25/05 at 9:40am

My best friend was in Good Vibrations and a cast album was recorded.

AlienOnBroadway
#7re: final Good Vibrations?
Posted: 4/25/05 at 9:45am

Ah. But recorded and produced are 2 different things, no?

More power to 'em if they attempt this. I have been on record (multiple times) saying I would love it if it happened. But I understand that $ makes the world go 'round...

Also: nice review ITF.

GirlfriendFromCanada
#8re: final Good Vibrations?
Posted: 4/25/05 at 9:46am

Awesomely put, InfiniteTheatreFrenzy.

I was there also, as I've been pushing for this since early in the previews. It's hard to cheer for the underdog, especially in theatre, but I'm so glad I did. It was a very fun ride, and I am so appreciative of that bright and talented cast for making it so much fun. Yesterday was an emotional show for all, obviously those on stage, but also those few of us who have enjoyed it despite what the critics said and justifications we had to make. It was a fun show and a great group of people performing it. "Sail on Sailor" was absolutely incredible yesterday and definitely what moved the cast from cheerful and excited to be doing the show to melancholy that it was almost over, and seeing the cast so emotional was heartbreaking, particularly David Larsen and Brandon Wardell. I wish that whole cast the best luck in the future. They deserve some great things, and now I just hope they can get them, because I want to see them some more!

suzycat Profile Photo
suzycat
#9re: final Good Vibrations?
Posted: 4/25/05 at 12:48pm

Thanks for the great reviews. I truly wish I could have been there. I was lucky enough to see the show both at Vassar and on Broadway and feel that I saw the Broadway debut of numerous gifted young actors. I wish them so much luck in future endeavors.

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#10re: final Good Vibrations?
Posted: 4/25/05 at 12:57pm

Awww I'm so glad there hasn't been any hate on this thread so far.

Suzycat, if you don't mind me asking, how was the show different at Vassar? I'm curious. I searched, but couldn't find anything so if you could explain, or point me to another thread, that would be great.

Does anyone have any online footage, either audio or video, Good Vibrations related? (Other than the videos on Broadway.com and the stuff on the official GV site.)

LouW95
#11re: final Good Vibrations?
Posted: 4/25/05 at 1:17pm

Once again, we have to thank the theater elitists in our own community and that includes some of our professional critics, who destroy just about everything which isnt "cutting edge" or "genius". We can thank these folks for the unemployment of another hundred or so members of community who were involved with Good Vibrations. Keep going and all we will have left are a few shows which are constantly revived by groups like Roundabout, win many awards but usually dont provide long term employment. We must all be thankful that these elitists did not get their way when they tried to badmouth Disney from coming to Broadway 11 years ago.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#12re: final Good Vibrations?
Posted: 4/25/05 at 2:22pm

Theater elitists? How about people with taste?

They destroy everything that's not cutting edge or genius? SPAMALOT, THE PRODUCERS, WICKED, etc. seem not to fall under either of those categories, so you have no point.

No, no one is responsible for the actors' unemployment other than the creative team. The show was dreadful and awful - the worst I've ever seen - stop blaming other people.

Elitists? Dude, get a f*cking life and get a clue. No one bashed Disney - BEAUTY got great reviews, so again, you have no point.

Stop making those with taste feel as if they're personally responsible for the unemployed actors in HORRENDOUS VIBRATIONS. JEsus Christ...

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

broadwayguy2
#13re: final Good Vibrations?
Posted: 4/25/05 at 2:34pm

"JEsus Christ..."

you called?

LouW95
#14re: final Good Vibrations?
Posted: 4/25/05 at 3:42pm

Munk's posting proves my point. If one believes he or she has a market on all the taste in this world, dont expect any to be left for others.
Updated On: 4/25/05 at 03:42 PM

munkustrap178
#15re: final Good Vibrations?
Posted: 4/25/05 at 3:45pm

Don't blame the closing of a show on "theatre elitists." There is no such thing. It closed because no one was going to see it, and rightfully so. When you produce garbage, what do they expect? It closed because it was terrible - not because of critics.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Plum
#16re: final Good Vibrations?
Posted: 4/25/05 at 4:29pm

Puh-lease. What is with this ridiculous attitude of calling anyone who dares to have preferences a "theater elitist"? If being an elitist means I like good shows better than bad ones, then go ahead, pin that label on me. I'll wear it proudly.

Good Vibrations closed because by the vast majority of accounts, it's a poorly-constructed and crafted show. I don't give a hoot that the cast was enthusiastic and energetic and trying so gosh-darned hard. Effort and enthusiasm might be good enough when you're watching a middle school production, but this is Broadway, the most prestigious center of English-speaking theater in the world. Trying isn't going to cut it, especially if you dare to charge $100 a ticket.

munkustrap178
#17re: final Good Vibrations?
Posted: 4/25/05 at 4:32pm

Oh Plum, shut up. You are just a theatre elitist. It is your fault GOOD VIBRATIONS closed.

Plum
#18re: final Good Vibrations?
Posted: 4/25/05 at 4:41pm

*weeps* I'm sorry! Next time I'll be sure to fulfill my solemn obligation to see every single show on Broadway, no matter how shoddily it was put together. And when I'm broke in 3 months, I'll at least have the satisfaction of knowing I supported all those people who are trying really hard.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#19re: final Good Vibrations?
Posted: 4/25/05 at 4:44pm

I think that the fact that Munk actually saw GOOD VIBRATIONS proves that he isn't a theatre elitist. if he were, he'd have had the good sense to stay away!

Now go sit in the corner with the dunce cap on, naughty elitist. Shame on you for liking good shows and disliking bad ones.

munkustrap178
#20re: final Good Vibrations?
Posted: 4/25/05 at 4:49pm

I know. I should lock myself in my room all day. I feel personally responsible for the closing of GV.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#21re: final Good Vibrations?
Posted: 4/25/05 at 4:51pm

Your punishment for being a theatre elitist is having to attend every performance of BROOKLYN for one week straight. Have fun.

#22re: final Good Vibrations?
Posted: 4/25/05 at 6:32pm

Hey! I love Brooklyn... And J52, is the cast album going to be released? I wanna hear some of this music... Anyone know where I can other than official sites...

Since its closed... its totally over... could there be a tour?

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#23re: final Good Vibrations?
Posted: 4/25/05 at 6:36pm

There's no reason to insinuate that everyone who has enjoyed Good Vibrations does not have taste. Haven't you ever enjoyed a show that you don't technically think is "good"?

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#24re: final Good Vibrations?
Posted: 4/25/05 at 6:39pm

Yeah...Mamma Mia....I guess I had fun then but looking back on it, it was pretty weak.

Videos