pixeltracker

Yes, I know it's 'bad' theatre, but....

Yes, I know it's 'bad' theatre, but....

insomniak
#0Yes, I know it's 'bad' theatre, but....
Posted: 5/2/05 at 8:32pm

I like it way too much anyway.

Footloose. I have a huge soft spot for it. *ducks rocks*

What are your favorite shows that you don't tell your theatre-snob friends about?

Chrysanthemum62001
#1re: Yes, I know it's 'bad' theatre, but....
Posted: 5/2/05 at 8:34pm

Bombay Dreams. I saw it twice, and loved it! *bows head in shame*

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#2re: Yes, I know it's 'bad' theatre, but....
Posted: 5/2/05 at 8:35pm

I was going to try to keep my love for Chitty hush-hush.

Obviously that didn't happen.
::is ashamed but doesn't hide::

::sings title song and skips::

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 5/2/05 at 08:35 PM

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#3re: Yes, I know it's 'bad' theatre, but....
Posted: 5/2/05 at 8:36pm

I am a sucker for Camelot, and since no one mentions it I figure they don't like it.....

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

apdarcey
#4re: Yes, I know it's 'bad' theatre, but....
Posted: 5/2/05 at 8:37pm

some people here had violent reactions to dessa rose, but i am completely enamored with it.. also little women!

ashley0139
#5re: Yes, I know it's 'bad' theatre, but....

I have two that is the other way around. I absolutely LOATHE Grease and Annie, but I don't tell anyone (except BWW of course) that I do because everyone else loves them.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife
Updated On: 5/2/05 at 08:37 PM

BEKA531
#6re: Yes, I know it's 'bad' theatre, but....

um, wicked. is that wrong?

and the music man.

Elizabeth_DeBris
#7re: Yes, I know it's 'bad' theatre, but....
Posted: 5/2/05 at 8:38pm

Annie. *Ducks head*

I can't help it- that show is adorable (and what got me really interested in theatre).

insomniak
#8re: Yes, I know it's 'bad' theatre, but....
Posted: 5/2/05 at 8:50pm

Bek, I also harbor a secret love for the Music Man. Brings back good school theatre memories. re: Yes, I know it's 'bad' theatre, but....

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#9re: Yes, I know it's 'bad' theatre, but....
Posted: 5/2/05 at 8:51pm

Since when are THE MUSIC MAN, ANNIE, CAMELOT, etc - some of the most classic and best shows ever written - bad theatre? Come on now...

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#10re: Yes, I know it's 'bad' theatre, but....
Posted: 5/2/05 at 8:51pm

I have to agree with footloose. I have actually never seen it but i find the recording quite entertaining. re: Yes, I know it's 'bad' theatre, but.... i also have a soft spot for you're a good man charlie brown.

"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#11re: Yes, I know it's 'bad' theatre, but....
Posted: 5/2/05 at 8:53pm

The Music Man DEFINITELY isn't "bad" theatre. It may be theatre that people don't so openly profess their love for, but I think that's just because it's not as.... "cool" for lack of a better term, to be a die-hard Harold Hill fan as it is to be one of RENT or Wicked of whatever.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Elizabeth_DeBris
#12re: Yes, I know it's 'bad' theatre, but....
Posted: 5/2/05 at 8:56pm

Munk: I don't think it's that they're "bad theatre" so much as "theatre that is commonly dismissed as "cheesy" and/or "not posessing a hell of a lot of substance," by some people." Well, in the case of the shows you mentioned, anyway.

EDIT: *Points upward* What she said. Updated On: 5/2/05 at 08:56 PM

Johnnytoc
#13re: Yes, I know it's 'bad' theatre, but....
Posted: 5/2/05 at 8:57pm

*joins em with Chitty love*

"Chitty Chitty Bang Bang we love you..."

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#14re: Yes, I know it's 'bad' theatre, but....
Posted: 5/2/05 at 8:58pm

Oklahoma!--the make fun of me for being in it *none of them can stand that show* but I actually do like the show!

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#15re: Yes, I know it's 'bad' theatre, but....
Posted: 5/2/05 at 8:59pm

Okay, so shows I'm sometimes embarrased to admit that I atleast like (sometimes love):

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Annie
Little Women
Cats
Jane Eyre
Dance of the Vampires
Bombay Dreams

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Elizabeth_DeBris
#16re: Yes, I know it's 'bad' theatre, but....
Posted: 5/2/05 at 9:00pm

Oh, yeah... I forgot about Cats.
Spamalot too. I don't care if it was over-hyped, I thought it was hysterical, dammit.

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#17re: Yes, I know it's 'bad' theatre, but....

STAAAAAAAAAAAAAARLIGHT EXPRESSSSSSSSSS!!

I'm not really ashamed, I'll tell anyone who will listen that I love it!

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

apdarcey
#18re: Yes, I know it's 'bad' theatre, but....

zippyjen, i can't believe you just spoke that blasphemy! YOU'RE A GOOD MAN, CHARLIE BROWN is not bad theatre... it is one of my favorite shows.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#19re: Yes, I know it's 'bad' theatre, but....
Posted: 5/2/05 at 9:05pm

Not ashamed of it but, WICKED (can't you tell?). I am a bit ashamed of this one though- Seussical The Musical.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

insomniak
#20re: Yes, I know it's 'bad' theatre, but....
Posted: 5/2/05 at 9:06pm

I'm so glad I'm not alone. re: Yes, I know it's 'bad' theatre, but....

*tries to redeem self with 'good theatre'*
"You decide what's right
You decide what's good."

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#21re: Yes, I know it's 'bad' theatre, but....
Posted: 5/2/05 at 9:07pm

well i never meant to say it was bad theater i just find it kind of embarrasing to say that i love it! well i think i should get rid of that fear and start scraming "i love yagmcb!" lol

"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#22re: Yes, I know it's 'bad' theatre, but....
Posted: 5/2/05 at 9:08pm

I won't lie, there were parts of Brooklyn that were cute.

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#23re: Yes, I know it's 'bad' theatre, but....
Posted: 5/2/05 at 9:27pm

Little Women and some of Wicked. Not ashamed, just "bad" theatre that I like.

suzycat Profile Photo
suzycat
#24re: Yes, I know it's 'bad' theatre, but....
Posted: 5/2/05 at 9:31pm

Good Vibrations
Jane Eyre
Mamma Mia!