pixeltracker

"Dont Rain On My Parade" Who sang it first?

"Dont Rain On My Parade" Who sang it first?

FosseBoi
#0"Dont Rain On My Parade" Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 9:45pm

My family was at supper tonight, and a disscussion of AI came up. I brought up that LaToya girl from last season. I said that when she sang "Dont Rain On My Parade", that she was very good. Then my mother said,"Yes, Liza and Judy would have been proud." To which I replyed," Why? Babs was the first to sing it." And she said,"No, Judy was." Which brings me to this: Who sang it first? When/Where? THANKS!

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#1re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 9:47pm

Since Babs was the original Fanny in Funny Girl, I would assume it was her

#2re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 9:47pm

who is Latoya? Jackson? I doubt Latoya Jackson recorded anything by Jule Styne.

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#3re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 9:48pm

Babs? '64 CR ?

Ast star2b said.

Updated On: 5/23/05 at 09:48 PM

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#4re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 9:50pm

BABS

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

MargoChanning
#5re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 9:50pm

????

I haven't heard of anyone singing any of the music of "Funny Girl" before opening night with Babs as Brice. If it wasn't Steisand, I'll be very interested to hear how Garland or anyone else sang it before her. It's not impossible (Styne was always pushing to have pop hits on the charts of his compositions), but I haven't heard about it.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

FosseBoi
#6re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 9:51pm

bwaystar- Thats what I thought, but I wanted to make sure I was right. Sometimes I think my mother doesnt know what shes talking about(i.e. Bway stuff)

Chita- NOT Latoya JACKSON! LaToya ?London? from last seasons Amer. Idol!

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

broadwaystar2b
#7re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 9:53pm

Although if you want to be really specific, it might have been Anne Bancroft re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
I'm 100% positive it was Babs

#8re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 9:54pm

You mean their are two sets of parents who named their child Latoya?!!!!!

MargoChanning
#9re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 9:56pm

Well, Jermaine Jackson did name his son "Jermajesty."

I'm just saying ......

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#10re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 9:57pm

Hey Chita, I heard on the radio yesterday that Brooklyn has noticeably become a popular name for children. And no, not because of the show. The report said it started with David Beckham naming his child Brooklyn; but it's still freaky.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

#11re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 9:57pm

Margo:NO HE DIDN'T?!!!!

Updated On: 5/23/05 at 09:57 PM

broadwaystar2b
#12re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 9:58pm

chita33, I think one of the original members of Destiny's Child was also a LaToya
Although to be fair, the LaToya from American Idol last season was a very good singer and a very polished performer

MargoChanning
#13re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 10:00pm

Chita:

Couldn't you just die?

#14re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 10:03pm

And now I just found out Jermajesty's mother is Randy Jackson's ex-wife!

So someone on a blog said Thus: "Hi, my name is Jermajesty Jackson. I'm my own ex-cousin."
Updated On: 5/23/05 at 10:03 PM

Adoannie925 Profile Photo
Adoannie925
#15re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 10:16pm

Margo: I have a recording of Judy singing it. I can send it to you over AIM or something like that...PM if you're interested.

re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?

MargoChanning
#16re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 10:20pm

OH, I know Judy sang it. I've heard it.

The point is whether she was out there singing it BEFORE Streisand sang it opening night.

"Hi, my name is Jermajesty Jackson. I'm my own ex-cousin."

PRICELESS.

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#17re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 10:21pm

Margo - I've seen people named Afrodita and another person named Bhavana.

My favorite is this family's last name is Clear. Their daughter: Krystal.

Jon
#18re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 10:26pm

Well, to be technical, the first person to sing it was probably Jule Styne or Bob Merrill - in one or the other's living room!

iluvtheatertrash
#19re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 10:44pm

If my parents named me such a ridiculous name, I might go jumping off of a bridge. A very, very, very LARGE bridge over very, very, very DEADLY waters.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

FosseBoi
#20re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 10:53pm

I LOVE the this thread jacking! PLUS this is my thread, so is alright with me if we continue it. I've heard from multiple ppl about 3 bros named orangejello, redjello, some other name...was it greenjello?...ANYWAY, the names arnt pronounced like their spelled. You kindof have to run it all together to get the right pronounciation.

#21re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 11:32pm

I'm surprised no one mentioned Diana Ross and The Supremes who recorded the songs from FUNNY GIRL. Yep, nearly the full score all with a Motown Sound.

But La Babs got there first.

MargoChanning
#22re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 11:42pm

Jose, I've heard La Ross do FUNNY GIRL. Ugh. Berry Gordy's efforts to get those girls to crossover were not always the wisest. One hasn't lived until you hear Miss Ross strain her way through "Don't Rain on My Parade."

#23re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 11:55pm

Yes, Margo, it is a strange album indeed. The "You Are Woman" number is beyond bizare.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#24re: 'Dont Rain On My Parade' Who sang it first?
Posted: 5/24/05 at 12:22am

Judy first sang Don't Rain on My Parade with Liza at the Palladium in London on November 8, 1964. Funny Girl had opened the previous March, so clearly Barbra sang it first.

And the Supremes Sing Funny Girl was as memorable as the Supremes Sing Rodgers and Hart--another of Berry Gordy's odd crossover ideas.

Updated On: 5/24/05 at 12:22 AM

Videos