A novel idea?

actor/director
#0A novel idea?
Posted: 6/14/05 at 3:26am

Musicals have been based on novels and novellas since the modern musical was established. Based on recent novels, what do you think would make a good musical...or better yet...what do you think will be made into a musical that sucks?

To answer my own question, I think anythign by Nick Hornby would be amazing. On the contrary, I bet money that Harry Potter, Chronicles of Narnia, etc. will be made into musicals that will most likely ruin their source material.

Oppinions?

Jwaa
#1re: A novel idea?
Posted: 6/14/05 at 3:38am

I think most novels could make great musicals,

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

would be cool, lots of oppurtunities for great male solos and some great duets/chorus numbers with the father and neighbours and public etc

methinks the drama aspect of the boys Austistic circumstances would make a great monologues and interesting visual arrangement of set, designed to suit the way he viewed the world.

:)

x

Hairspraydoll Profile Photo
Hairspraydoll
#2re: A novel idea?
Posted: 6/14/05 at 4:03am

Lord of the Rings, the musical? Ha Ha

Be the change you want in the world....

actor/director
#3re: A novel idea?
Posted: 6/14/05 at 12:40pm

LOTR the Musical is coming out in 2006. 7 million dollars in tickets has already been sold. A Broadway run has yet to be announced.

ally_kay_on_broadway Profile Photo
ally_kay_on_broadway
#4re: A novel idea?
Posted: 6/14/05 at 12:52pm

i know...and its opening in canada....that makes us look REEEAAAALLL good.....*hides in shame*

"talent is wanting something hard enough to work for it" - my drama teacher :)

XOsweet_dancerOX Profile Photo
XOsweet_dancerOX
#5re: A novel idea?
Posted: 6/14/05 at 1:23pm

Harry Potter the musical? that would definetly ruin the material. I think they should leave that alone.

Kristin Chenoweth could barely control a Great Dane she trotted onto the stage. "Great, they gave me a dog that weighs five times what I do", she quipped. For the record, she weighs 93 pounds, and has a Maltese.

keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
#6re: A novel idea?
Posted: 6/14/05 at 1:27pm

Personally, I can't wait for "The Apprentice, the musical". It just sounds so awesome! Please note, I am being sarcastic.

"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete." --Brian Kaman

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#7re: A novel idea?
Posted: 6/14/05 at 1:27pm

Novels that would make good musicals:

"The First Wives Club" by Olivia Goldsmith
"The Life and Loves of a She-Devil" by Fay Weldon

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
#8re: A novel idea?
Posted: 6/14/05 at 1:29pm

I think "Memoirs of a Geisha" could be amazing in the right hands.

"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete." --Brian Kaman

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#9re: A novel idea?
Posted: 6/14/05 at 5:26pm

Obviously, "The Zombie Survival Guide" would be a horrid musical:) Though I'd like to see them try.

MY secret desire is to see "Party Monster" the musical...it WAS a book -"Disco Bloodbaath"- before it was a movie.

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

BroadwayGirlWicked Profile Photo
BroadwayGirlWicked
#10re: A novel idea?
Posted: 6/14/05 at 5:38pm

it would be cool to have like a show and like have many different eppisodes and every couple of months/ year they put a different one out

_CORRIE_--Most annoying member of 2005- AVATAR- Credit: copyright GregoryJbara.com-- DONT PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THAT NOT EVERYONE USES PUNCTUATION?

Theatreboy33 Profile Photo
Theatreboy33
#11re: A novel idea?
Posted: 6/14/05 at 6:21pm

My favorite novel, I have always thought would make for a good musical and/or play. It's called Fifth Business by RObertson Davies. Anyone else heard of it/read it?

PleaseChangeMe
#12re: A novel idea?
Posted: 6/14/05 at 6:35pm

The DiVinci Code, the Musical.

(LOL)

BroadwayGirlWicked Profile Photo
BroadwayGirlWicked
#13re: A novel idea?
Posted: 6/14/05 at 6:44pm

king tut the musical would be kinda cool

_CORRIE_--Most annoying member of 2005- AVATAR- Credit: copyright GregoryJbara.com-- DONT PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THAT NOT EVERYONE USES PUNCTUATION?

DefyGravity23
#14re: A novel idea?
Posted: 6/14/05 at 7:10pm

Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe has already been made into a musical. I don't think it was ever on broadway...but it is a musical. I know because I saw a local middle school do it. It was scary.

Yeah I'm just so excited for the Apprentice musical too. *also sarcasm* Will people actually go to that?

Videos