pixeltracker

I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:- Page 4

I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:

CurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
#75re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/24/05 at 3:41am

I saw a man wearing a shirt promoting soccer that said "Escape Gravity." I, not even a huge Wicked fan, though "Don't escape it - DEFY IT!!!"

All of my friends are leaving at hte same time for vacations. I said to my dad "I'm all alone..." and he continued with me "with no one here besiiiide me."

Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#76re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/24/05 at 3:53am

'cause I can't go to bed until I refresh all the boards and no new threads pop up!

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

jam_man
#77re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/24/05 at 4:01am

In a thread on the off-topic board that was eventually deleated, I refered to my "FRIEND" as Sweeney Todd. BTW, I'm a guy, if that helps you out, there.

I know that in an early draft of The Music Man, they had a counterpoint number of "The Sadder-but-wiser Girl," and "My White Knight."

I can name every major Sondheim show in order with the year they were first produced. Of course, I'm sure most, if not all of us on here could do that, too. But I'm a "freak" in the "real world!" :)

I get Nathan Lane's Taboo ad-lib with his line from The Producers. Again, most of us on here do, too.

My freshman year, I did a paper on why Rent isn't an amorale musical. I gave so many examples of other muscals with possibly questionable subject matter that my english teacher wrote "overkill" and I think took a couple points off. And in an early draft, I had about a page an a half about things that (all eight of) the original cast members had done since they left Rent. I eventually cut that down to about four to five lines, mentioning only brefly about two or three of them.

"Who is Stephen Sondheim?" -roninjoey
"The man who wishes he had written Phantom of the Opera!" - SueleenGay

GO CARDINALS!!!

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#78re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/24/05 at 4:03am

HA, I have a feeling that in the "real" world, every single one of us who posts on this board is a "freak."

jam_man
#79re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/24/05 at 4:25am

I tried to go to sleep at about 10 minutes after 3 AM, but couldn't because BWW is starting to give me insomnia. Anyone else getting that way?

BTW, yes, Broadway World is MUCH better than the "real world." :)

GO CARDINALS!!!

Over_the_Moon
#80re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/24/05 at 4:37am

This has been slightly brushed on... but....

I don't think being a "theatre geek" has much, if anything, to do with all the cast recordings you own or how many Broadway shows you've seen, or even how many shows you've been in.

I'll go with the people that live theatre-- I haven't got anything in my life that doesn't revolve around the stage.

"what have we learned? Don't smoke... don't do drugs and don't sing 'Defying Gravity'." -CATSNYRevival

jam_man
#81re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/24/05 at 4:42am

Okay, I should really be going to bed, but one more.

The other day, I drove a friend home from rehearsal and intentionaly played A Little Night Music. He plays vilon (quite well, too), so he was impressed by the fact about it all being it 3/4 time. I played:
"You Must Meet My Wife" (to which he laughed at the appropriate parts)
"A Weekend in the Country"
"Send in the Clowns"
"The Miller's Son"
the finale - he even was asking about how it ended!

Every chance I get, I squeeze Sweeney Todd into a conversation with my theatre "liking friends" (ones who like doing shows from time to time, but still refer to us as "freaks") in hopes I can loan them my DVD, and whine them from the Catses and the Jesus Christ Superstars and onto the Sweeneys and Night Musics.

When our director was announcing a letter from MTI about sending mass birthday cards to Sondheim (which I wish I had done, but never got around to it), she read MTI's list of his shows, to which I said, "They forgot Gypsy." Then I remembered - MTI doesn't carry Gypsy, which I said to myself as if everyone older than 4 knew that.

And of course, it's quarter to 4 AM and I'm posting for the third time tonight about why I'm a theatre geek, while listening to, of all other things, Bounce!

GO CARDINALS!!!

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#82re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/24/05 at 4:44am

HAHAHAHA!

::awards jam_man a point::

jam_man
#83re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/24/05 at 4:45am

Wow! My first point! So many people to thank...

Okay, bed now - I mean it!!!!!!

GO CARDINALS!!!

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#84re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/24/05 at 4:49am

It's a point in the game of life...hopefully it will come in handy :0)

OK, my turn for bed! Really!

darkmist115 Profile Photo
darkmist115
#85re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/25/05 at 1:41am

sorry to steal this, but 'I simply live and breathe theatre' is absolutely true.
most content is when i'm on the stage or singing, and i know tons of random facts about lots of different shows.

Labashier
#86re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/25/05 at 2:00am

- Posted to my door I have an almost-exact replica of the Amenity 9 Fee Hike sign from Urinetown that I made for a black box production I was in earlier this summer.

- In essays in English and Science classes I have referenced Urinetown, Rent, and Weird Romance.

- When I have nothing better to do, I track down e-mail addresses of my favorite composers and send them fan mail.

- The last time I visited New York, I was there for two days (one night) and saw three shows.

- I have a gigantic drawer filled with programs from every show I have seen in the past five years, from Broadway Playbills to cheap pamphlets from god-awful community theater, and occasionally go through and try to find really cool connections.

- Instead of studying for my final exams last semester I spent the week before and the week of exams polishing my musical to enter it in the California Young Playwrights Contest

- I occasionally make my own shirts for my favorite shows using Photoshop, iron-ons, and blank white T-shirts

- Simply because I am proud to call myself a theater geek

TabooPhan1 Profile Photo
TabooPhan1
#87re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/25/05 at 2:35am

A: I have come to realize that despite my best efforts, I just don't like much music other than musical theatre...

B: I realized that if I didn't want to be involved in theatre, there would be almost nothing else in my life to pursue or look forward to.

C: Anyone who's ever met me, upon hearing my name, will say, "Oh, yeah... isn't that the theatre kid?"

:re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because::re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because: I really do just love it :re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because::re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:

I hold a degree in Musical Theatre from Montclair State University. It is useless. Now I'm funny for money. Oh, and I sing.

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#88re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/25/05 at 9:26am

"- I have a gigantic drawer filled with programs from every show I have seen in the past five years, from Broadway Playbills to cheap pamphlets from god-awful community theater, and occasionally go through and try to find really cool connections."

Ah ha! My friends and I have those. We call them our drawers of crazy. lol

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

Videos