News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

BREAKING NEWS: The Lion King Accident

BREAKING NEWS: The Lion King Accident

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#0BREAKING NEWS: The Lion King Accident
Posted: 9/12/05 at 8:53pm

This is really sad...During a performance here in Birmingham, Al of "The Lion King". During the Elphant Graveyard Scene....Young Simba fell of the bones and injured himself..the show was stopped for 15 minuets to let the other "young simba" take his place...The child who played simba is okay...thank goodness..if more news comes I will be sure to tell you what happened or somebody else will fill you in.

Facebook...ME !!!

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#1re: BREAKING NEWS: The Lion King Accident
Posted: 9/12/05 at 8:57pm

wow, 15 minuets........that's a LONG time. Think how long it would be if it was 15 waltzes, or 15 Irish jugs!

seriously, glad the kid is ok

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#2re: BREAKING NEWS: The Lion King Accident
Posted: 9/12/05 at 9:00pm

I am too...you know you know when a fall looks fake...well that didn't look fake..you just knew that wasn't supposed to happen.

Facebook...ME !!!

stage_door76 Profile Photo
stage_door76
#3re: BREAKING NEWS: The Lion King Accident
Posted: 9/12/05 at 9:03pm

so i take it you were actually AT the show then?

"...But Kungurtseva reels off multiple fouettes and the tape is stopped so she can take a bow. The Jester, an abomination introduced to Swan Lake in Soviet times, extorts applause from the audience. The cuts don't help the storytelling, the production is bare bones and they go for the '50s-style happy ending. The audience cheers like mad at the end. It's the Russian ballet, after all..."

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#4re: BREAKING NEWS: The Lion King Accident
Posted: 9/12/05 at 9:17pm

No..thats how it was explained to me...sorry if I mislead...I'm going this SUNDAY .....YEAHHHHHH

sorry I'm excited.

Facebook...ME !!!
Updated On: 9/12/05 at 09:17 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#5re: BREAKING NEWS: The Lion King Accident
Posted: 9/12/05 at 10:08pm

Wow, could you shorten that? I'm sure I'm not the only one with a smaller screen resolution who has to scroll all the way over to read anything that's horizontal.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#6re: BREAKING NEWS: The Lion King Accident
Posted: 9/12/05 at 11:24pm

Is that better?

Facebook...ME !!!

LizzieCurry
#7re: BREAKING NEWS: The Lion King Accident
Posted: 9/13/05 at 12:31am

Yes, thanks!

RentBoy86
#8re: BREAKING NEWS: The Lion King Accident
Posted: 9/13/05 at 12:35am

Yeah, I can't wait to see it either. I mean its here for 6 weeks...

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#9re: BREAKING NEWS: The Lion King Accident
Posted: 9/13/05 at 1:00am

when is "lion king" closing???

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

RentBoy86
#10re: BREAKING NEWS: The Lion King Accident
Posted: 9/13/05 at 1:47am

on Broadway? I doubt anytime soon. Give it another 5-8 years.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#11re: BREAKING NEWS: The Lion King Accident
Posted: 9/13/05 at 1:59am

ugh

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

#12re: BREAKING NEWS: The Lion King Accident
Posted: 9/13/05 at 3:55am

Needs to be 5-8 days.

You've got to be deaf to enjoy that show.

#13re: BREAKING NEWS: The Lion King Accident
Posted: 9/13/05 at 4:35am

I guess Elton is lucky there are so many "Deaf people" out there that could be tricked into enjoying the score-- one of the biggest selling film sound tracks of all time, a broadway cast album that is a consistant best seller and a number one single. Of course all those folks don't have the refined tastes that would cause them to bash a beloved score on a broadway message board. Sad for them.

#14re: BREAKING NEWS: The Lion King Accident
Posted: 9/13/05 at 4:52am

I forgot to mention that I would've rather sat and home, watched the already-paid-for movie, ate some popcorn, and saved a few dollars.

The original The Lion King movie+soundtrack is beyond great. I just don't think it adapted well to the stage.

Like I said, it's stunningly visual.. but I was happier with the cartoon.
Updated On: 9/13/05 at 04:52 AM

Lizziemonster Profile Photo
Lizziemonster
#15re: BREAKING NEWS: The Lion King Accident
Posted: 9/13/05 at 5:36am

Maybe you just got un-lucky with the cast, I saw it in London and the lady who plays Rafiki (apologies for not for the life of me being able to remember her name or the possible poor spelling of the character name) was the same person who sang the oeping of the movie sound track, she was better in person than any CD could make her sound, I do agree with the point about it being a more visiual show though

#16re: BREAKING NEWS: The Lion King Accident
Posted: 9/13/05 at 8:51am

Lizzie that actress is currently playing Rafiki on tour-- she is spectacular.

And Full Metal Jacket your comments that Lion King was not adapted well to the stage is so spectacularly stupid that I'm struck dumb in response. Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but like "Intelligent Design" and Paper underpants, it's an idea so spectacularly dumb that I marvel at the depths of ignorance.

theninthshow Profile Photo
theninthshow
#17re: BREAKING NEWS: The Lion King Accident
Posted: 9/13/05 at 11:19am

Gugwana Dlamini is wonderful as Rafiki in the Cheetah Company tour (currently in Portland, OR). Larry Yando as Scar and Derek Hasenstab as Zazu are also amazing. Good show!

So much of me is made of what I learned from you. You'll be with me like a handprint on my heart and now whatever way our stories end I know you have re-written mine because I knew you.

HBP Profile Photo
HBP
#18re: BREAKING NEWS: The Lion King Accident
Posted: 9/13/05 at 12:13pm

Wow, poor kid, glad he's alright. I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed TLK years ago when I was younger. I went to see it again and was very displeased. The only part I liked was Circle of Life. The show wasn't that loud and I was like 4th or 5th row center. I didn't love it, but I also didn't hate it. Oh, well. How's the tour doing?

#19re: BREAKING NEWS: The Lion King Accident
Posted: 9/13/05 at 2:18pm

Did I mention I saw it back in 98? Even then, I thought the movie was a better experience.

But... it did give me a respect for Taymor. I love the woman. I wish she'd direct a new show.

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#20re: BREAKING NEWS: The Lion King Accident
Posted: 9/13/05 at 4:45pm

I've had the Cd for awhile...and I liked it...I here alot of people say that only "The Circle Of Life" part is the best are there anymore cool parts?

I can't wait to see it though..when I see it Sunday I will give a revies of what I saw.

Facebook...ME !!!

LizzieCurry
#21re: BREAKING NEWS: The Lion King Accident
Posted: 9/13/05 at 5:28pm

Not really.

I saw the tour in San Francisco, and frankly, the jokes that worked well on film fall flat on stage, and I kept getting the impression that Julie Taymor was 40 feet tall and cackling, "Dance, my puppets, dance!"

The cast was very talented, but they all seemed very held back by the tracks they were confined in. Depressing, really. The highlight of the show was the understudy Nala, who was great. I wonder if it's because she didn't get to go on much and was fresher on stage.

Dollypop
#22re: BREAKING NEWS: The Lion King Accident
Posted: 9/13/05 at 7:31pm

The "sound" of the LION KING obc is awkward. It just doesn't have the "pop" that most cast recordings have. The sound of this one is almost as bad as COCO's

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Bdwy24
#23re: BREAKING NEWS: The Lion King Accident
Posted: 9/13/05 at 7:38pm

The tour is doing very well. Rafiki that is on the Gazelle tour is amazing, as well as everyone else.

Not only did they have to stop the show when Young Simba got hurt, but a few days before that they had to stop the show during Circle of Life. The lights went down and they stopped and preset everything and started from the beginning and had to do up until the stampede with a bright light and spotlights. Sucks to be in the audience that night.

RentBoy86
#24re: BREAKING NEWS: The Lion King Accident
Posted: 9/13/05 at 7:42pm

i hope all goes well Sunday - if i go. anyone know if its selling out?

Videos