New Joseph Tour - Minneapolis

LouieLovesTheater Profile Photo
LouieLovesTheater
#0New Joseph Tour - Minneapolis
Posted: 9/14/05 at 11:40pm

Just a quick note to say that I was pretty impressed with this new tour of "Joseph..." Is it still totally tacky and over the top -- oh yes (it really looks like it could make a home at the Luxor in Vegas) but it's quite well performed by a totally energetic cast.

Amy Adams has some killer money notes and while she cracked a bit at the performance I saw and ran out of steam she more than made up for it with the rest of her singing. She's still cute, still perky, and knows how to work the audience.

The show has a nice, brisk run time of 2 hours on the dot. While I could have done without the modern stuff they added (TWO times they bring out a cell phone to take a "picture" of Joseph and his family) and the strange footwear the show on the whole was solid and enjoyable.

The biggest drawback to the show - Patrick Cassidy. First off...he's about 20 years too old for the part. Secondly, he's wearing what has to be the worst wig EVER in a tour. Not only does it make him look like a hobo but a hobo that is losing his hair. It's awful. He started off the show with a strange European accent that faded in and out -- totally ridiculous. Dude's got a great six pac/pecs/ab region but at times it was totally distracting bceause he seemed to always be trying to make himself flex and look toned. He needs to lay off the bronzer too. I just have never cared for him and this role did nothing to make me change my mind. I think he would make a MUCH better Pharoah in a few more years.

Yeah, it's a major quibble but overall I truly enjoyed the evening. The ensemble and Adams totally makes up for Cassidy's miscasting.

rclocalz Profile Photo
rclocalz
#1re: New Joseph Tour - Minneapolis
Posted: 9/14/05 at 11:54pm

thanks for the review

http://www.glamsmash.com/ - Glamsmash Productions, a video production company in the heart of New York City

RentBoy86
#2re: New Joseph Tour - Minneapolis
Posted: 9/15/05 at 12:28am

wish it was coming down here.

Wavetree Profile Photo
Wavetree
#3re: New Joseph Tour - Minneapolis
Posted: 9/15/05 at 12:39am

Yeah you hit the nail right on the head with the whole Patrick Cassidy/hobo deal. I saw it last week in Milwaukee and those abs were just...unnatural. He certainly didn't ruin the show at any rate, and Amy Adams totally impressed me. This cast definitely plays up the campy aspects of the show in a very self-aware manner.

exedore
#4re: New Joseph Tour - Minneapolis
Posted: 9/15/05 at 6:21am

Are they using the same direction and set design (not to mention the hideous bike-helmet themed costumes) as the prior Troika productions?

AARocks
#5re: New Joseph Tour - Minneapolis
Posted: 9/15/05 at 9:17am

Thanks so much for the reviews!! I can't wait to go see the show.

LouieLovesTheater Profile Photo
LouieLovesTheater
#6re: New Joseph Tour - Minneapolis
Posted: 9/15/05 at 9:52am

No...THANK THE LORD they did away with the previous concept. I just remember the previous Patrick tour where all the men wore these weird shirts that were designed to make them look shirtless and buff...it was awful.

I also have to ad that his "coat" was h-i-d-e-o-u-s...I kept thinking "a little goat blood might actually make it wearable".

And yes...the cast knew what show they were in and played up the camp...but not in an overly annoying way.

QueenAnne82 Profile Photo
QueenAnne82
#7re: New Joseph Tour - Minneapolis
Posted: 9/15/05 at 10:12am

Thanks for the review! Too bad about Patrick, but great to hear it's an awesome show. I'll be sure to add my Chicago review when it hits here in Nov!

Everything in this room is *eat*able. Even I'm *eat*able. But that is called cannibalism, my dear children, and is in fact frowned upon in most societies. ~Willy Wonka

It's TRUE! GET A FREE IPOD!!! It's really easy http://premiumipods.freepay.com/?r=15232098 Ask me any questions about it.

I love Ana Gasteyer and Chicago Theater!!!

Tenorman
#8re: New Joseph Tour - Minneapolis
Posted: 9/15/05 at 10:27am

I just saw the show in Minneapolis, and it was amazing. Amy Adams totally carries the show - she is amazing and perfectly cast in the narrator roll. Patrick Cassidy just plain sucked. His singing and acting were no good, and his abs were very distracting as he flexed them through the whole show. The company was very good - and the ladies loved the Pharaoh! If there was a better Joseph in the cast, this show would be perfect, but I still enjoyed it very much. Someone, call the Wig Master!!!!!
Updated On: 9/15/05 at 10:27 AM

ticenewyorkcity Profile Photo
ticenewyorkcity
#9re: New Joseph Tour - Minneapolis
Posted: 9/15/05 at 12:20pm

could someone post a cast list?

thne really useful group site is being really UNuseful
d

peach
#10re: New Joseph Tour - Minneapolis
Posted: 9/15/05 at 12:49pm

Thanks for the reviews. The tour is coming my way later in the year, so I'll be sure to compare and contrast.

Glad to hear it's using it's camp wisely. That camp humor and the Luxor-esque tackiness of it all, is what makes this such a fun show - to perform in or to see.
Updated On: 9/15/05 at 12:49 PM

Videos