#1re: The first international production of 'Spelling Bee'
Posted: 9/28/05 at 5:07am

Put Kane McErvale in this!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#2re: The first international production of 'Spelling Bee'
Posted: 9/28/05 at 5:19am

"last year’s finalist - eliminated for health reasons - William Barfee (Magda Szubanski in her MTC debut)"

They're having a WOMAN play Barfee?

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

circusfreak
#3re: The first international production of 'Spelling Bee'
Posted: 9/28/05 at 5:33am

Magda Szubanski is a comedic idol down here in Australia (alot of you might know of her from the movie Babe). She will be perfect for it.

stage_door76 Profile Photo
stage_door76
#4re: The first international production of 'Spelling Bee'
Posted: 9/28/05 at 6:48am

i'm quite excited. although i don't know about marina. i'm sure she'll be funny and vocally flawless...but something strikes me as odd about her casting.

christen o'leary terrifies me (you know i kove you darling!)

it'll be a hit. i'm so gonna go and see it!

tell your friends!

"...But Kungurtseva reels off multiple fouettes and the tape is stopped so she can take a bow. The Jester, an abomination introduced to Swan Lake in Soviet times, extorts applause from the audience. The cuts don't help the storytelling, the production is bare bones and they go for the '50s-style happy ending. The audience cheers like mad at the end. It's the Russian ballet, after all..."

Creative Lunatic
#5re: The first international production of 'Spelling Bee'
Posted: 9/28/05 at 9:22am

Just thinking about a female playing Barfee.....It should bring all sorts of interesting subtext to the budding romance between Olive and William.

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#6re: The first international production of 'Spelling Bee'
Posted: 9/28/05 at 11:03am

Marina? Hmm....that's cool. I hear she was great as Christine.

lfae Profile Photo
lfae
#7re: The first international production of 'Spelling Bee'
Posted: 9/28/05 at 11:29am

"They're having a WOMAN play Barfee?"

I don't know a thing about Spelling Bee (which one is Barfee? I saw them at Bway on Bway and the Katrina Benefit) but trust me, if anyone can pull off a male role, it'd be Magda re: The first international production of 'Spelling Bee' She's a fantastic comedienne.

I heard about this at the stage door of Wicked last night, oddly enough. I'm from Melbourne and someone commented to me (upon hearing the accent) how they'd like to go to Aus next year to see Spelling Bee...and I was all "huh"?

Marina and Christen will make it extra fantastic :) Christen especially. Can't wait!

bongoboy Profile Photo
bongoboy
#8re: The first international production of 'Spelling Bee'
Posted: 9/28/05 at 11:47am

i loved, loved LOVED Magda in Kath & Kim which was on Trio (still may be). Direct TV axed Trio, though, the bastards.

Urban
#9re: The first international production of 'Spelling Bee'
Posted: 9/28/05 at 1:08pm

I wonder if all us Melbournians on the board here (yeah, like all 3 of us) should go to Spelling Bee together?

stage_door76
#10re: The first international production of 'Spelling Bee'
Posted: 9/28/05 at 9:50pm

oh, you're a melbourne local are you? all my family and stacks of friends still live down there!

PM me if you want and let me know where you're from!

oh, how exciting!

"...But Kungurtseva reels off multiple fouettes and the tape is stopped so she can take a bow. The Jester, an abomination introduced to Swan Lake in Soviet times, extorts applause from the audience. The cuts don't help the storytelling, the production is bare bones and they go for the '50s-style happy ending. The audience cheers like mad at the end. It's the Russian ballet, after all..."
Updated On: 9/28/05 at 09:50 PM

Urban
#11re: The first international production of 'Spelling Bee'
Posted: 9/30/05 at 1:15am

Sweet. You in Sydney or Brisbane?

stage_door76
#12re: The first international production of 'Spelling Bee'
Posted: 9/30/05 at 4:00am

lol. not quite urban. i'm in NYC these days!

Urban
gettinhep Profile Photo
gettinhep
#14re: The first international production of 'Spelling Bee'
Posted: 9/30/05 at 4:06pm

I'm an MTC subscriber. I can't miss this one.

'Try not to have a good time...this is supposed to be educational.' - Lucy Van Pelt