pixeltracker

Orchestra Members Going On Strike

Orchestra Members Going On Strike

fiyero8132
#0Orchestra Members Going On Strike
Posted: 10/18/05 at 2:17pm

I remember watching the news a few years ago and hearing about the Broadway orchestra members going on strike. I was wondering, in that case, is a show cancelled or is there alternate accompaniment methods? any remember what happened?

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#1re: Orchestra Members Going On Strike
Posted: 10/18/05 at 2:19pm

I believe the shows were cancelled.

Shawk Profile Photo
Shawk
#2re: Orchestra Members Going On Strike
Posted: 10/18/05 at 2:21pm

I had tickets to several shows at the time. There was some talk of the shows going on with canned music, but the actors decided to honor the strike, so thus pretty much every musical was dark until the issues were resolved. I think 42nd Street was under some other kind of contract so they were open, but other than that, the only activity at the theatres were the strikers handling out leaflets and people trying to get refunds for the cancelled shows.

'"Contrairiwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."' ~Lewis Carroll
Updated On: 10/18/05 at 02:21 PM

NJgirl
#3re: Orchestra Members Going On Strike
Posted: 10/18/05 at 2:25pm

i had tickets to chicago the night the actors union decided to strike with the musicians....i ended up see Cabaret at studio 54 that night which was one of the few shows running still bc they operated under a different contract.

Playbill9117 Profile Photo
Playbill9117
#4re: Orchestra Members Going On Strike
Posted: 10/18/05 at 2:29pm

Musicians, in the past, have USUALLY gone on strike (the few times that they have) to protest one of two things:

1. Unfair pay (they helped actors fight for fair pay during the Ziegfield days)

2. Protest of electronic and recorded accompaniment devices.

During this time, shows are typically cancelled because most actors (Harvey Fierstein and others) will not cross picket lines to get into the theatre.

Unfortunatley, many patrons lose their tickets and many are not refunded. The use of alternate accompaniment would only aggravate the situation, so almost every theatre will almost immediately negotiate with the musicians in order to get shows back on track.
Updated On: 10/22/05 at 02:29 PM

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#5re: Orchestra Members Going On Strike
Posted: 10/18/05 at 2:30pm

don't scare me with post header - I've got tickets to a few shows coming up, and don't want to go through what happened then again!

The smaller orchestras are not as good, and the canned music is terrible! Full orchestras are great!!!!

Playbill9117
#6re: Orchestra Members Going On Strike
Posted: 10/18/05 at 2:33pm

Musician strikes don't happen very often. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Most production companies know that the use of "canned" music is publicity suicide! Most simply never consider the use of electronic music.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#7re: Orchestra Members Going On Strike
Posted: 10/18/05 at 2:36pm

I noticed that the touring version of Les MIs, when at the NJPAC, only had a few pieces of real orchestra, plus a large synthesizer. I could tell the difference before looking down into the orchestra pit afterwards.

Playbill9117
#8re: Orchestra Members Going On Strike
Posted: 10/18/05 at 2:46pm

some of the less expensive systems don't sound very good.
A new system called ORCHextra (offered by MUSIC THEATRE INTERNATIONAL) is the best on the market. Many touring companies are using this currently.

The Hairspray tour and NYC productions are misleading because it appears that their only live music is a base, drums, and a keyboard. However, the rest of the band is downstairs being conducted via closed-circuit TV. They say that this is one of the reason for the full, rich sound they produce.

michelle4
#9re: Orchestra Members Going On Strike
Posted: 10/18/05 at 2:50pm

Here is what I know. Back in March of '03 the musician's union went on strike over the minimum number of orchestra members required in different theatres (it is based on theatre size). The members of AEA voted and decided to honor the strike of their fellow performers. Both unions walked in the picket lines outside the theatres. The strike shutdown 18 shows and lasted 4 day (I think). Mayor Bloomberg actually played a big part in getting the 2 parties to sit down and come to a resolution.

Playbill9117
#10re: Orchestra Members Going On Strike
Posted: 10/18/05 at 2:54pm

Oh yeah... I'd forgotten that's why they went on strike that time. Thanks!

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#11re: Orchestra Members Going On Strike
Posted: 10/18/05 at 3:24pm

If they do this season just run to Sweeney Todd!

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#12re: Orchestra Members Going On Strike
Posted: 10/18/05 at 3:29pm

NO

VIRTUAL

ORCHESTRA

Most ridiculous thing ever.

kateerin Profile Photo
kateerin
#13re: Orchestra Members Going On Strike
Posted: 10/18/05 at 3:47pm

The musicians struck because producers wanted to lower the minimum number of musicians per show and/or use virtual orchestras. Then IATSE followed in support of the musicians. this forced AEA to also join. Most of the shows were closed, and without an IATSE member present, in most cases no one was even allowed in the theatres.

"If your wanting a beginner, I shan't do..."

trpguyy
#14re: Orchestra Members Going On Strike
Posted: 10/18/05 at 4:00pm

The strike was about the minimum number of musicians the theater has to PAY, not to USE. Technically, a show could use only a virtual orchestra and no live music, but still be paying a dozen or so musicians to sit at home.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#15re: Orchestra Members Going On Strike
Posted: 10/18/05 at 4:02pm

There were big ads in playbills for a while

STOP VIRTUAL ORCHESTRA

And I completely agree with that.

Playbill9117
#16re: Orchestra Members Going On Strike
Posted: 10/19/05 at 4:09pm

I doubt if too many people support the use of "Virtual Orchestras" on the broadway stage. The developers of these programs designed them to be used mainly in regional theatres that have a lack of willing musical talent within the community. I live in a small town, and we have enough trouble coming up with actors- not to mention musicians.

It surprises most people to know that the developers of ORCHextra and other such programs are themselves musicians. They in no way intend to steal work from willing human musicians.

Videos