pixeltracker

Good belting song for an alto/soprano

Good belting song for an alto/soprano

BroadwayDreams2 Profile Photo
BroadwayDreams2
#0Good belting song for an alto/soprano
Posted: 10/24/05 at 4:12pm

I am an 18 year old female. I need a good belting song (preferably) to sing in my voice class. I am a soprano w/ a low E to high G range but I am more comfortable in the lower notes. An alto ranged song would probably work also. Does anyone know a good song for me?

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#1re: Good belting song for an alto/soprano
Posted: 10/24/05 at 4:15pm

"the story goes on" from baby. a wonderful belt song, and fun to sing.

also, "shy" from once....mattress.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

freelancer Profile Photo
freelancer
#2re: Good belting song for an alto/soprano
Posted: 10/24/05 at 4:31pm

"What I Did For Love". It's classic. I know that it can be overdone, but if it's done well, there are few better.

Also, the Linda Eder arrangement of "Anthem".

"I'm gonna jump straight up, kick a hole in the moon. Don't know exactly where I'm going, but I'm know I'm gonna get there soon." - Jerry Lukowski (Patrick Wilson) in "The Full Monty"
Updated On: 10/24/05 at 04:31 PM

Barnaby12345 Profile Photo
Barnaby12345
#3re: Good belting song for an alto/soprano
Posted: 10/24/05 at 4:50pm

How about "I'd Give my Life For You" from Miss Saigon

roquat
#4re: Good belting song for an alto/soprano
Posted: 10/24/05 at 6:16pm

Either of Amneris' solos from "Aida".

I ask in all honesty/What would life be?/Without a song and a dance, what are we?/So I say "Thank you for the music/For giving it to me."

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#5re: Good belting song for an alto/soprano
Posted: 10/24/05 at 6:35pm

"Anthem" is overdone and Aida's music is pretty high, difficult to belt. (but if you can hit the notes, go for it!)

I suggest:
"Where Am I Going" from Sweet Charity
"With Every Breath I Take" from City of Angels
"I'm Not At All in Love" from The Pajama Game
"Somewhere That's Green" from Little Shop of Horrors
"Happily Ever After" from Once Upon a Mattress
"I Can Cook Too" from On the Town

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#6re: Good belting song for an alto/soprano
Posted: 10/24/05 at 6:39pm

Agree with "Where Am I Going" from Sweet Charity and "What I did For Love" although at this point it's a bit overdone, like "On My Own". Pity because they're both such GREAT songs.

Actually I think "Happy to Keep His Dinner Warm" from How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying is a great one, even though not many people see it as real belty- it can be. Of course any of Sutton's songs from Thoroughly Modern Millie... " I want to Go To Hollywood"..wow there's just so many lol.

I guess it depends what kind of attitude you want for the song, what kind of character. Any in particular or does it not matter?

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

michelle4
#7re: Good belting song for an alto/soprano
Posted: 10/24/05 at 9:16pm

How high can you belt comfortably. How is your mix?

Videos