#25re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 11:56am

Sure, The Distinctive Baritone. Agreed. re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Updated On: 10/30/05 at 11:56 AM

442namffug Profile Photo
442namffug
#26re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 11:58am

Best12bars...I never said anything about lifting! I'm not worried about anyone stealing or breaching copyright laws.

Go back and read my posts. Don't put words in my mouth. re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
THAT'S a personal attack. Updated On: 10/30/05 at 11:58 AM

USTheater.TV Profile Photo
USTheater.TV
#27re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 12:01pm

Thanks for all this. It's good feedback.

If we take it one step at a time like I have.

1. Use it as a marketing tool, trailers etc to encourage audiences.

2. Start to use it for New Writings and Fringe Plays for much needed publicity.

3. From there, work out the cost models, copy protection and performers rights for the big productions.

That's the steps I'm taking and 1 and 2 commenced last week. Waiting on the debate in the industry before 3. There's a lot of people with strong and assertive opinions over it but if we discuss these in a calm way, we can resolve them and work out the best for all concerned. I have been in discussions with Equity and several other industry bodies on these very matters and they have also been thinking about them for a while and have their plans in place ready for its growth.

Keep 'em coming.....

USTHEATER.TV - Passionate About Theater (Live and Online)

_________________ www.uktheatre.net
Updated On: 10/30/05 at 12:01 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#28re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 12:03pm

With a DVD you relive the experience. Imagine a DVD of the original Follies ?

Those who do not want them do not buy them. It should be availble to those who want it. Imagine DVD'S of flops. If people bought them they would reduce the loses incurred by investors & this would get more people to invest . The problem is the cost would be prohibitive

Another option is taping it & than putting it on Pay per View after the show has run its course. One person shows should definitely be filmed

Poster Emeritus

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#29re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 12:05pm

Doug, your posts remind me of a mean politician who would want to knock down a park in a nice quiet town to put in a mall.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

MackieManiac
#30re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 12:08pm

Every broadway show has a press reel. 30 minutes of footage taped and edited down to a 3 minute reel used to sell the show.

Yes you can lift a performance by memory.. but it will never be exact.

iheartcheyenne123 Profile Photo
iheartcheyenne123
#31re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 12:11pm

I really dont think musicals should b videotapped...b/c then whts the point in going to the theater if you juss can watch it at home??? People wouldnt go to the theater as much b/c they could juss watch it at home...whts the point? Theater should be fresh and LIVE! You dont get the same feeling when watching it at home as you do in the theater. I respect yr opinon but i just dont agree..

--Alex-- "They're singing, "Happy Birthday" You just wanna lay down and cry Not just another birthday, it's 30/90 Why can't you stay 29 Hell, you still feel like you're 22 Turn 30 in 1990 Bang! You're dead, what can you do?" --TTB

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#32re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 12:13pm

Theatre is supposed to be live.

LET the music and television and movie industries take over the internet. There will soon no longer be a reason to go out to the movies. And then the only thing left to do aside from sitting on your ass all day would be to go out and see a show!

It would only HELP the theatre industry!

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

442namffug Profile Photo
442namffug
#33re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 12:14pm

Ooo yay CapnHook is intelligent too! Whooppe.

USTheater.TV
#34re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 12:14pm

Woweee.... it's certainly got the fuels fired. I am getting GARBAGE and CRAP and MEAN POLITICIAN - Very personal and not very pleasant. But thankfully I am also getting some good constructive feedback from those who see it less of a threat and more of a way of increasing theatre audiences.

I am ONE PERSON. I am not an industry and I am not a multi-national. I am not about to take over the world, though perhaps because I have a great brand name and concept that people feel threatened. I'm an actor with some web design skills. Remember that in your replies please. I feel rather intimidated by some bullying remarks.
http://www.ustheater.tv

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#35re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 12:15pm

WickedGeek28---I think this is a good point here. If you (or others) want Broadway to be "a park in a nice quiet town" then I can see why you would take offense. But if you want Broadway theatre to reach the masses on a more global scale, maybe it's time to put up a "mall" of new approaches.

Back in the Golden Age, America looked to Broadway for art and culture. Its shows affected the nation. Today, America does not do that. Only New York and the small cultural societies around the country do that. (The "PBS" crowd.) But the masses at large barely know that Broadway exists. A plain, simple fact.

So, really... the big question is, do we want to keep Broadway as the relatively small, elite art form that it has become, or do we want to go out an reach the masses again. The millions of people who would otherwise never see a stage show. Since they won't come to us anymore... should we go to them now?

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

LionessInWinter
#36re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 12:19pm

I really had no intention of getting into this debate as it's being argued quite well by those involved, but I do take great exception to this statement....

>>>People who want shows taped so they can enjoy them in their own homes are twirts who are wither too lazy to travel to NYC to see them.<<<<

Excuse me, but I find this generalized statement rather insulting. How do you know why some people can't get to London or NY or wherever else to see plays if they don't live in the area? There are several plays each season I've wanted to see in London, but in the past couple of years I've had a significant financial downturn. I was out of work for almost a year, ran out of unemployment and most of my savings, and was just barely keeping my head above water. Couldn't afford a play where I live just a quick train ride away let alone a plane ride across the ocean away.

I live in NYC and just in the past couple of months have been able to afford an occasional play if I got a really good discount. I had a trip planned to London 2 years ago, but had to cancel as the closing to buy my apt happened at the time I had set aside and I wasn't jetting off on a vacation literally a day after I moved when I had stacks of boxes and furniture to come back to. It was the only time I could go, which is why I planned it then in the first place, but the closing date came up after months of delay and I couldn't change it.
I'm happy if I can afford a cheap weekend vacation away now, which usually entails going somewhere I can stay with friends.

I've had a few friends get over to London in the past 6 months who saw some things I won't ever get to see that I'd been dying to see, so this would be an option for people like myself. At least I could see it in some form and have a discussion with them about it. Does that mean I'd actually utilize it? Not necessarily, depends on cost, but it's still an option for people like me. If I saw it after the run was over vs. while it's still playing so as not to affect ticket sales, that's fine.

I love live theater and there is nothing like it, but as someone brought up above, I also love live concerts (probably more than anything). I have some DVD's of concerts and while it's nothing like the real thing, with a decent hookup to my stereo, it's an enjoyable substitute, especially if it was a concert I enjoyed in person and would like to see it again and again.

I'm certain to be flamed over this, but just wanted to express my opinion as I didn't appreciate that one blanket statement. Now if it's someone who lives nearby the theaters and just doesn't make the effort, I'd agree with that statement wholeheartedly. :)

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#37re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 12:22pm

so "good" feedback is from those who agree with you? And everyone who does not is "mean?" or their opinions are "garbage?"...Aw poor baby....GROW UP......you asked for opinions, you got them.

While I can see the value of taping musicals for posterity,

I cannot see pay-per-view Broadway....it's just wrong....

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

USTheater.TV
#38re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 12:24pm

LIONESS - Well said. Perhaps the incomes of those on this site and living in New York are not those I am aiming at. A taxi driver in Edinburgh at last years fringe said that paying £7 to see a fringe play was expensive. I want him to still see that play. At £3 or £4 online. A much reduced experience but why deny him the pleasure of theatre because we've priced it out of the pockets of the ordinary person. £3 times 10,000 is better than 200 at £7. It will still keep the productions wealthy but reach out to those who deserve to see theatre as well as the wealthy.

USTHEATER.TV - Passionate About ALL People Seeing Theatre

gavrochegirl
#39re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 12:28pm

Look...

...this isn't going to work, period. It's very wrong, and ruins the thrill of live theatre.

What the puck?!

iheartcheyenne123
#40re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 12:32pm

so wrong in my opinion...theater should be LIVE and should be an experience one should never forget!! NOT on the computer!!Going to see the show and watching it at home are completely different things!! Sure it is the same show but its not LIVE, which it should be!! its just so so so wrong...sry but i believe going to NYC and seeing a show should be an EXPERIENCE..not played on a computer.

--Alex-- "They're singing, "Happy Birthday" You just wanna lay down and cry Not just another birthday, it's 30/90 Why can't you stay 29 Hell, you still feel like you're 22 Turn 30 in 1990 Bang! You're dead, what can you do?" --TTB

442namffug Profile Photo
442namffug
#41re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 12:33pm

Exactly.

Good feedback, all of a sudden, is only feedback from people who are ignorant enough to support you? But, constructive criticism and voices of reason who oppose your website is not feedback?

USTheater.TV
#42re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 12:33pm

It's working and you've only made me more determined show how it can work. I had no idea the level of fear and angst that exists in Broadway over this. I guess Chicago and Philadelphia will be more embracing.
Passionate About Promoting Theatre

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#43re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 12:35pm

The concern over "lifting" is moot. Currently most, if not all shows ARE recorded for the archives and anyone with a legitimate reason can go view a show AFTER it's no longer playing on Broadway - for research purposes.

Nothing can ever replace a live performance of a show, but that doesn't mean a video recording is a bastardized version of the show. Case in point are the Sonheim musicals currently on DVD. While they can't replace sitting there in the audience watching, they certainly are a great opportunity to relive the show - and for those people that might not ever get the chance to see the show (or because it's cost prohibitive).

I think some shows could never truly be captured in the way they should be on video. Some things just work better live. I don't think I would want to watch City of Angels on video because there was just something so magical about being there.

I also think that any video release of a show should come a few years (at least) after a show has closed. It should never be released during the run (for obvious reasons).

There definitely needs to be a REASON to release a particular show to the masses. A once in a lifetime performance, an important piece of work, a show not likely to be revived but worthy of preserving, etc.

All that being said - all parties involved should be compensated for their efforts. Which is why many videos do not get released. It's very expensive to make everyone happy. You can't think of releasing a video without making payments to all the unions, there's the cost of the production, marketing, etc.

We all know that cast recordings are incredibly expensive to produce and quite often do not make their money back. Video is a far greater endeavor.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka
Updated On: 10/30/05 at 12:35 PM

iheartcheyenne123
#44re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED

have you ever experienced the thrill of a live broadway show USTheater.TV ???

gavrochegirl
#45re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED

Oh, please.

Stop promoting your stupid website because someday, you're going to get caught.

"so wrong in my opinion...theater should be LIVE and should be an experience one should never forget!! NOT on the computer!!Going to see the show and watching it at home are completely different things!! Sure it is the same show but its not LIVE, which it should be!! its just so so so wrong...sry but i believe going to NYC and seeing a show should be an EXPERIENCE..not played on a computer."

Brava!

What the puck?!

USTheater.TV
#46re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 12:36pm

Good feedback is when it is debated with more than IT WON'T WORK - GARBAGE AND CRAP - They don't fuel debates. I'm quite happy hearing two sides of an discussion but aggression and dogma are not GOOD FEEDBACK. They just get in the way of proper justification and scares off sensible people who don't want to get involved in case they get flamed. I really do think posters should take a chill pill before they type.

Updated On: 10/30/05 at 12:36 PM

iheartcheyenne123
#47re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 12:37pm

thanks gavrochegirl!

iheartcheyenne123
#48re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 12:38pm

ooooo please!

gavrochegirl
#49re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 12:38pm

No problem, iheart. Oh, and call me Gav. re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED

Well, do you expect ALL good feedback? Do you expect for your site to be a winner in everyone's book?

I expect for your damned site to be shut down, that's what I expect.

What the puck?!