L.A. Theatre Scene

QMAN03 Profile Photo
QMAN03
#0L.A. Theatre Scene
Posted: 11/7/05 at 10:05pm

In response to the "lack of theatre" in L.A., I thought it would be great to start a trhead on it. Just post away. Updated On: 12/31/05 at 10:05 PM

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#1re: Mark Taper Forum in L.A.
Posted: 11/7/05 at 10:12pm

re: Mark Taper Forum in L.A.

Many say there isn't a bad seat in the forum. Here's the seating chart. Even in the back row, you're only in row 14.

This link should give you a more detailed view Updated On: 11/7/05 at 10:12 PM

TimeSuckage
#2re: Mark Taper Forum in L.A.
Posted: 11/7/05 at 10:13pm

There's almost no bad seats at the Taper. Sure the higher letters are going to be farther back but it's not a big house at all, and there are no compromised sight lines.

QMAN03 Profile Photo
QMAN03
#3re: Mark Taper Forum in L.A.
Posted: 11/7/05 at 10:37pm

So would seats c-5 and c-7 be good seats?

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#4re: Mark Taper Forum in L.A.
Posted: 11/7/05 at 10:41pm

I'll echo the comments from others. There isn't a bad seat at the Taper.

MouseInfo
#5re: Mark Taper Forum in L.A.
Posted: 11/7/05 at 10:45pm

There isn't really a bad seat, just stay in the center sections..especially if you are near the front. The side seats are really curved around the stage...still an excellent view, but not as great.

QMAN03 Profile Photo
QMAN03
#6re: Mark Taper Forum in L.A.
Posted: 11/7/05 at 10:49pm

Thanks to all you guys. I just bought tickets to Romance for November 19 seats c-5 and c-7. Hope the shows good.

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#7re: Mark Taper Forum in L.A.
Posted: 11/7/05 at 10:51pm

Echoing again -

A pretty small house. So, no really bad seats.

Enjoy.

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#8re: Mark Taper Forum in L.A.
Posted: 11/7/05 at 11:38pm

I LOVE the Taper...I do miss it while I'm in NYC.

It's like a much nicer version of Circle in the Square :0)

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#9re: Mark Taper Forum in L.A.
Posted: 11/7/05 at 11:42pm

Love the Taper. Too bad sometimes their season suck. But every once ina while you get gems. Master Class and Angels in America played there before their broadway engagements. As did Jellys Last Jam.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

QMAN03 Profile Photo
QMAN03
#10re: Mark Taper Forum in L.A.
Posted: 11/7/05 at 11:44pm

Cool, I love circle in the square, so everythings good.

YouWantitWhen????
#11re: Mark Taper Forum in L.A.
Posted: 11/8/05 at 12:09am

I saw two recent shows there that were both great.

"Eltricidad" and "Stuff Happens." I enjoyed both. And, thought Eltricdad was pretty amazing.

The current Mamet show "Romance" has been well received by friends of mine who have seen it.

Sometimes it has been hit and miss in past years, but hopefully the more experimental stuff will play at the Kirk Douglas Theater, which is a small house perfect for new shows and stuff that is a little out of the mainstream.

QMAN03 Profile Photo
QMAN03
#12re: Mark Taper Forum in L.A.
Posted: 11/8/05 at 12:11am

youwantitwhen, you can still see Romance. It just got extended another week to the 20th.

YouWantitWhen????
#13re: Mark Taper Forum in L.A.
Posted: 11/8/05 at 12:14am

Ohhh - I may have to do that then. I was going to try and stalk Patronus on Thursday when Chaperone opened, but now there are options . . .

Thanks for the heads up.

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#14re: Mark Taper Forum in L.A.
Posted: 11/8/05 at 12:18am

For those utterly confused at the moment - the Taper and the Ahmanson are literally next door to each other.

I say do it, youwantitwhen, and Patronus should know that I'll be pseudo stalking him as well! HA HA

QMAN03 Profile Photo
QMAN03
#15re: Mark Taper Forum in L.A.
Posted: 11/8/05 at 12:19am

No problem. Do you know of any other shows that are great in L.A. I live in S.D. so it's not that big of a drive for me to get up there.

P.S. Romance has great seats for the weekend of November 18.

YouWantitWhen????
#16re: Mark Taper Forum in L.A.
Posted: 11/8/05 at 12:27am

You know what is weird, I rarely see anything lately at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion - usually the Taper and Ahmanson. I guess that is because I am not an opera fan - which the DC houses pretty often.

The Dorothy Chandler is in the same complex as the and Ahmanson as well, and I think it is and holds 3,197 seats. The Ahmanson varies, but around 1500 I think, and the Taper holds about 750.

Well, that's the end of the LA Music Center 101 class, unless you want extra credit to discuss Disney Hall . ..

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#17re: Mark Taper Forum in L.A.
Posted: 11/8/05 at 12:28am

Sigh - still miss the Shubert

YouWantitWhen????
#18re: Mark Taper Forum in L.A.
Posted: 11/8/05 at 12:29am

Drowsy Chaperone starts previews this week at the Ahmanson

And The Wild Party is in SM and it supposed to be wonderful and I believe is in SM.

Popular and Patronus may have some more suggestions.

EDIT - Shubert - le sigh.

Saw so many good shows there. Updated On: 11/8/05 at 12:29 AM

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#19re: Mark Taper Forum in L.A.
Posted: 11/8/05 at 12:29am

Temporary.
Restraining.
Order.

Seriously, I was thinking of seeing "Romance" as well. I just went to Goldstar and they have some seats, but I'll try calling about Hottix tomorrow and see if I can make it work from there.

I never got around to seeing "The Wild Party", but I hear it's good. Popular could elaborate on that.

I just got free seats (plus $6.00 service charge) to see "J.O.B. The Hip-Hopera: The Bible's Book of Job REMIXED" for this Sunday night at the Stella Adler. It sounds amusing.

I am going to "The Drowsy Chaperone" on Thursday and quite possibly a staged reading on Wednesday, but I could work "Romance" in on Friday - why the heck not? re: Mark Taper Forum in L.A.
Updated On: 11/8/05 at 12:29 AM

QMAN03 Profile Photo
QMAN03
#20re: Mark Taper Forum in L.A.
Posted: 11/8/05 at 12:31am

I'm debating makind the 2 1/2 hour drive up yo ventura to see tick tick boom. Is there any HUGE reason i should?

YouWantitWhen????
#21re: Mark Taper Forum in L.A.
Posted: 11/8/05 at 12:31am

If you get ticks to Romance on Friday, let me know - I might try to go after work.

Restraining Order, what's a piece of paper between friends.

Edit: As for Tick Tick Boom - I know of a couple of folks who may be going - I will let them chime in since I have never seen it live. Updated On: 11/8/05 at 12:31 AM

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#22re: Mark Taper Forum in L.A.
Posted: 11/8/05 at 12:33am

If you look up Eslgr8's profile he has a site about all the upcoming L.A. shows.

Wild Party was great! I definitely recommend it... I assume they worked out the few technical kinks, but I saw it on the very first night so that's too be expected. I'm horrible at the reviews but plenty of people have written about it so do a search.

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#23re: Mark Taper Forum in L.A.
Posted: 11/8/05 at 12:35am

The music for Tick, Tick...Boom is pretty good. Wilson Cruz and Natascia Diaz are both wonderful in those roles. If you don't mind doing the drive, it's probably worth it.

Other ideas include:

- Sandra Tsing Loh's One-Woman Comedy Mother on Fire. (I haven't seen it but her books are quite amusing)
- "White Christmas" at the Pantages. I believe Brian D'Arcy James is in that production. He's fantastic.
- "Pump Boys and Dinettes" is playing at the El Portal in North Hollywood. That is one of my favorite shows. A lot of fun.

Popular Profile Photo
Popular

Videos