Chicago Spelling Bee

DrVincento2
#0Chicago Spelling Bee
Posted: 11/11/05 at 3:33pm

Does anyone know when they will be holding auditions for the Chicago Production of Spelling Bee?

Fosse76
#1re: Chicago Spelling Bee
Posted: 11/11/05 at 7:10pm

probably sometime next year.

JACXR71 Profile Photo
JACXR71
#2re: Chicago Spelling Bee
Posted: 11/16/05 at 5:06pm

Tara Rubin Casting

The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
Date: Monday, December 5th
Time: 10 AM-4 PM By appointment
Audition Location: Actors Equity, 125 S. Clark, Chicago.

Type / Restrictions: Tara Rubin Casting announces auditions for THE 25TH ANNUAL PUTNAM COUNTY SPELLING BEE , Seeking all roles for the Chicago company; also future replacements for Broadway and future companies; see Equity website for character breakdown. Erik Woodall and David Petro will attend with casting authority.
Material to Prepare: Prepare a contemporary musical theatre song. Bring sheet music in your key; accompanist provided. Actors auditioning for Vice Principal Panch are not required to sing and will be given sides to read at the audition. Bring headshot/resume.
Contact Info: Appointments will be taken by Equity beginning 9:30 a.m. Monday, November 28th. Call 312-641-0406 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. and 3:00-4:30 p.m. only.

Audition Posted On: 11/16/2005

If I lay here
If I just lay here
Would you lie with me and just forget the world?

RentBoy86
#3re: Chicago Spelling Bee
Posted: 11/16/05 at 9:27pm

so its only for Equity memebers?

#4re: Chicago Spelling Bee
Posted: 11/16/05 at 9:44pm

do you have to be 18?

jesseeinstein
#5re: Chicago Spelling Bee
Posted: 11/16/05 at 10:29pm

Anyone know if there's a non-equity casting call for it?

RentBoy86
#6re: Chicago Spelling Bee
Posted: 11/20/05 at 2:04am

Bump, anyone know?

carlobarlo
#7re: Chicago Spelling Bee
Posted: 11/20/05 at 2:25am

It's an equity call, but if you're non-equ you can still go... You just have to be on the waiting list. I doubt they are going to cast anyone non-equity for this though... In the original notice it says they will be casting "adults" so over 18 is most likely a must. I don't think there will be a non-equ call, this is a big job for all the equity members in Chicago... I don't think the union would be too thrilled if they cast any non-union actors... but who knows, If someone is perfect for a role? It could happen!

Fosse76
#8re: Chicago Spelling Bee
Posted: 11/20/05 at 11:45am

'I don't think the union would be too thrilled if they cast any non-union actors.'

Why not? As soon as they are cast they would be required to join the union anyway. That said, I'm sure there will be a huge turnout, so I doubt they will see any non-equity.

otis33 Profile Photo
otis33
#9re: Chicago Spelling Bee
Posted: 11/20/05 at 1:07pm

You should go even if you're non-equity...you might get in. That being said, at the recent Los Angeles auditions, not all the equity people got in because of the large turn out. But you never know.

spellingbee_ROCKS007 Profile Photo
spellingbee_ROCKS007
#10re: Chicago Spelling Bee
Posted: 11/20/05 at 1:19pm

good luck who ever is trying out!!!

I can finally afford to see a Broadway show! -Norbert Leo Butz

RentBoy86
#11re: Chicago Spelling Bee
Posted: 11/21/05 at 4:49pm

I'm from Alabama and I'm thinking of going, but maybe not. Don't really want to waste my time, although I think it would be a good experience.

jesseeinstein
#12re: Chicago Spelling Bee
Posted: 11/21/05 at 4:56pm

I do know that they only want to cast from locals and the chicaago area.

RentBoy86
#13re: Chicago Spelling Bee
Posted: 11/21/05 at 5:13pm

as to not pull a Wicked?

voiceactor
#14re: Chicago Spelling Bee
Posted: 11/30/05 at 1:23pm

I just checked in with Actors Equity. Non-Equity can walk in and get on the waiting list. Its liable to take forever though....

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#15re: Chicago Spelling Bee
Posted: 11/30/05 at 2:03pm

I'm going to the audition on Monday. Looking forward to waiting a loooooooooooooong time.

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

spellingbee_ROCKS007 Profile Photo
spellingbee_ROCKS007
#16re: Chicago Spelling Bee
Posted: 11/30/05 at 2:14pm

oh! good luck!

I can finally afford to see a Broadway show! -Norbert Leo Butz

Jon
#17re: Chicago Spelling Bee
Posted: 11/30/05 at 4:24pm

They want to cast locals so they don't have to pay per diem (living expenses). They will not cast anyone under 18.

If you are non-equity, you will have to join. many of the original cast of RENT was non-equity prior to getting cast in the show. Adam Pascal had never been in a legit show. He was a rock musician.

bebe de broadway Profile Photo
bebe de broadway
#18re: Chicago Spelling Bee
Posted: 11/30/05 at 6:18pm

I might audition if I can get out of my theater classes at school (they're strict about attendence). I got a call today from my modeling agency about auditioning. I love this show... I hope i can go. I'm non equity, but would be thrilled to even be a miniscule part in a professional show.

"I'd rather be 9 people favorite thing than 100 people's ninth favorite thing." http://youtube.com/profile?user=nekoexcel

Creative Lunatic
#19re: Chicago Spelling Bee
Posted: 11/30/05 at 6:27pm

There are no small parts in this show. It is an ensemble and what is so wonderful is how each of the spellers, Mitch, Rhona and Panch all have great featured roles. With the multiple casting, even if eliminated early you are still very much a part of The Bee.
The Broadway cast all love their characters

#20re: Chicago Spelling Bee
Posted: 12/10/05 at 10:07pm

how do you find out when/where the auditions are?

Videos