pixeltracker

Has anyone done the MTI version of Into the Woods?

Has anyone done the MTI version of Into the Woods?

DirtyRottenGirl Profile Photo
DirtyRottenGirl
#0Has anyone done the MTI version of Into the Woods?
Posted: 1/2/06 at 2:35pm

I was just wondering if anyone has done the MTI version of Into the Woods. I have a few questions if you don't mind. What was the order of bows? I know when they did it on broadway the witch was last but was it because of who played them or because she is considered the lead. I also have some questions about costumes and the score.

tcoppola
#1re: Has anyone done the MTI version of Into the Woods?
Posted: 1/2/06 at 2:45pm

The MTI version is the only version.

DirtyRottenGirl
#2re: Has anyone done the MTI version of Into the Woods?
Posted: 1/2/06 at 2:50pm

well i know that but i was talking about the one that is available now. I assume it has changed since the one available is the revival.

Kringas
#3re: Has anyone done the MTI version of Into the Woods?
Posted: 1/2/06 at 2:55pm

Isn't bow order up to the discretion of the director?

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

BWAYboi_yes Profile Photo
BWAYboi_yes
#4re: Has anyone done the MTI version of Into the Woods?
Posted: 1/2/06 at 2:59pm

Bow order will be determined either by the director, or by contract negotiation. I can only assume because you came here to ask the question, that you won't be working on a scale where contract negotiation is going to be an issue, so the director will have the call. Typically, it will go to the witch. It's tradition.

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#5re: Has anyone done the MTI version of Into the Woods?
Posted: 1/2/06 at 3:02pm

I actually don't think it's changed much. "Our Little World" is added, but that's all that's really significant. If there are other changes, you'd have to know the show word by word to catch them.

And bow order is up to the director, but i believe the witch usually gets the last bow.

And the costumes are different for every production. If you're thinking of doing the show, do whatever you want with them, lol.

DirtyRottenGirl
#6re: Has anyone done the MTI version of Into the Woods?
Posted: 1/2/06 at 3:03pm

Does anyone have pictures of their costumes that could give me an idea or another question I had was did anyone use the slides that are available on MTI? If so how did it work and how much did they cost?

Belle-arina Profile Photo
Belle-arina
#7re: Has anyone done the MTI version of Into the Woods?
Posted: 1/2/06 at 6:17pm

Hey;

I just finished a production of Into the Woods last May. There weren't any real differences in the production. Our Little World is in the script, but there's also an "alternate" scene that you can do if you skip the song (we didn't skip it, which made me happy since I was Rapunzal! :)). As far as bows, I agree that's it's usually just up to the director, but as the witch is, by far, the largest part, she usually bows last--right after the baker and his wife. And I think costumes depend as well, but I do have pictures so PM me if you want some ideas. I did it at a college with a really amazing costume designer--she works for a regional theatre in the area so we can usually borrow their costumes. :) Hope this helped.

"No thoughts within her head, but thoughts of joy.....no dreams within her heart but dreams of love."

Footlooser Profile Photo
Footlooser
#8re: Has anyone done the MTI version of Into the Woods?
Posted: 1/2/06 at 7:59pm

It acctually is the "National Tour Verison" that is available. "Our Little World" is included as an optional song.
I may be wrong but I beilive that "Our Little World" is the only difference between the Original Broadway and the NTV.

"You know just because you put a smiley face after it doesn't change the fact that it was an a-hole comment." ~ Sumofallthings

iluvtheatertrash
#9re: Has anyone done the MTI version of Into the Woods?
Posted: 1/2/06 at 10:26pm

Our costumes were 1940's style. We took a postmodern approach to the musical, setting it in a 1940's hypnosis event where the narrator hypnotized the cast into believing they were fairy tale characters. So, we were all in 1940's garb so I don't think you'd want to see our costumes.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#10re: Has anyone done the MTI version of Into the Woods?
Posted: 1/3/06 at 1:20am

Um...WHAT? That's not only completely disrespectful to what Sondheim and Lapine intended, but just plain stupid. I'm sure you guys did a nice job, but that director should be taken out back and shot.

Jon
#11re: Has anyone done the MTI version of Into the Woods?
Posted: 1/3/06 at 8:11am

I imagine you think the director of the current Broadway revival of SWEENEY TODD should be shot as well.

Fosse76
#12re: Has anyone done the MTI version of Into the Woods?
Posted: 1/3/06 at 9:32am

"I imagine you think the director of the current Broadway revival of SWEENEY TODD should be shot as well."

I do. While it is entertaining, it is unecessary and gimmicky.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#13re: Has anyone done the MTI version of Into the Woods?
Posted: 1/3/06 at 10:05am

Bow order is always up to the director.

I don't believe they are licensing the most recent revival version, which had a couple of lyrical changes in certain songs. Sondheim rewrote the second verse to "Last Midnight" (hving the Witch sing it directly to the child). There were also changes to the end of "On the Steps of the Palace", where Jack and Little Red made an appearance. They added a brief scene for the 3 Little Pigs (which was completely unnecessary, IMO). There may have been other instances, but that's what I remember right now.

iluvtheatertrash
#14re: Has anyone done the MTI version of Into the Woods?
Posted: 1/3/06 at 10:30am

Jon, thank you. I appreciate that.

I will admit that during the rehearsal process, I thought the director was insane. However, when the show was performed, it added a new beauty to it. It made the lyrics and motives and ideas much, much, MUCH more powerful than they originally were. It made the characters more human instead of fairy tale characters and it made the entire world much more real, allowing the entire peace to be even more haunting and powerful to the audience.

We didn't change one thing except add one line at the beginning. I played the Baker and when I and the rest of the cast entered to our spots, we each had a prop in front of us - mine was an apron. The Narrator/Hyponotist smiled at us and said, "Please examine them." Once our props were on, he snapped his fingers, we fell asleep and the music began. "Once upon a time" - SNAP, we all woke up. Nothing else in the entire piece was different. Everything took place in this fairy tale land but our set and costumes were different.

It was beautifully directed and not gimmicky at all. It was and will remain to be one of the greatest acting experiences of my life.

Updated On: 1/3/06 at 10:30 AM

iluvtheatertrash
#15re: Has anyone done the MTI version of Into the Woods?
Posted: 1/3/06 at 10:14pm

*bump*

Videos