pixeltracker

Sweeny Todd Questions. Please Help!

Sweeny Todd Questions. Please Help!

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#0Sweeny Todd Questions. Please Help!
Posted: 1/2/06 at 6:54pm

My winter break was kind of depressing and dull, so my Mom's letting me skip school to take the train up to NYC and see a matinee on Wednesday. I really want to see Sweeny Todd.
Most of you guys seem more up on this stuff than I am, so I'm hoping you'll be able to answer a few questions:
1. I won't have much trouble getting tickets at the door for a wednesday matinee, will I? (weekly grosses suggest not, hopefully)
2. What time does the box office open so I can get them early?
3. Is there anything I need to know before seeing the show? Is there anything I won't understand because I haven't seen it before?
4. What's the chance of seeing Michael Cerveris (sp?) and Patti Lupone during a weekday afternoon show?

Thanks very much!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#1re: Sweeny Todd Questions. Please Help!
Posted: 1/2/06 at 6:57pm

The show is usually only on TKTS for the Wed. Matinee.

Only thing I think you should know before seeing the show is that it's taking place in a asylum and Tobias is basically sharing the story.

Also have an overview of the characters.

Otherwise you should be fine.
Updated On: 1/2/06 at 06:57 PM

Scarywarhol
#2re: Sweeny Todd Questions. Please Help!
Posted: 1/2/06 at 9:26pm

Wait, so I can't get tickets at the box office? I guess I need to buy online; I'm not standing in that line for a chance of getting tickets. Both times I tried that I ended up with nothing good.

ghostlight2
#3re: Sweeny Todd Questions. Please Help!
Posted: 1/2/06 at 9:41pm

Sure you can, but they'll cost you more. The line is not that long at TKTS (I did it for a weds night a couple weeks ago - got 3rd row mezz, off centre, fifty bucks and maybe twenty minutes in line. Don't know for sure when the box office opens. Certainly by noon, but likely as early as ten am.

So far, I believe Patti has only missed one show (illness) and Michael hasn't missed any (I'm pretty sure). So I'd say your odds are good.It's well worth seeing with them.

While this production of Sweeney is not as easy to follow as the original, if you pay attention and listen closely, I think you'll be fine.

Enjoy, be careful, and come back to tell us what you thought.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#4re: Sweeny Todd Questions. Please Help!
Posted: 1/3/06 at 12:27am

To answer your third question, I went in knowing only absolute basics of the show (barber kills people, makes them into pies) and LOVED it, so it's not like everyone needs to pass Sondheim 101 before they can enjoy it. Just pay attention to the lyrics and you should be able to follow everything.

The show was sold out last Friday, but I think that was because of all the tourists there for New Years, so you should be fine this week.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Isabella2
#5re: Sweeny Todd Questions. Please Help!
Posted: 1/3/06 at 1:29am

i have some advice for you. This is a great show but try NOT to be distracted by the fact that everyone plays their own instrument.(if you didn't already know that, then now ya know.) Be observent. watch and listen to everything extremely carefully. What instrument everyone is playing, and especially what everyone is saying. also watch the relationship between toby and donna lynne champlin closely.
Updated On: 1/3/06 at 01:29 AM

pab Profile Photo
pab
#6re: Sweeny Todd Questions. Please Help!
Posted: 1/3/06 at 1:35am

Oh just watch the show and enjoy it. It's not at all difficult to understand unless one is a complete moron. If you analyze too much you will end up sucking the fun right out of the experience.

The only way to be absolutely sure that you will get tickets is to purchase them online. You can choose the seats you like and not have to worry if the show will be sold out when you get there.

Enjoy!

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#7re: Sweeny Todd Questions. Please Help!
Posted: 1/3/06 at 2:55am

"also watch the relationship between toby and donna lynne champlin closely."

I had to look at my playbill just to figure out who you were talking about, so I wouldn't consider this to be essential for someone to know ahead of time.

Scarywarhol, like I said, you don't have to have this vast knowledge of the show or Sondheim and do a report on all the characters head of time to enjoy the show. I went in blind. The show is easy to follow and suggestions to analyze instruments and stuff like aren't necessary, regardless of what some Sondheim elitists would want to you to think.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

ghostlight2
#8re: Sweeny Todd Questions. Please Help!
Posted: 1/3/06 at 12:26pm

...or what pab said....

kateerin Profile Photo
kateerin
#9re: Sweeny Todd Questions. Please Help!
Posted: 1/3/06 at 12:58pm

you can get obstructed view orchestra seats at the box office for 36.00. Don't think you'll have a problem getting them.

I've been recommending to friends whho've never seen the show to at least read a synopsis before going. Can't hurt, and may help you enjoy it better.

Have fun!

"If your wanting a beginner, I shan't do..."

Scarywarhol
#10re: Sweeny Todd Questions. Please Help!
Posted: 1/3/06 at 3:00pm

Thanks for the help/advice everybody! I can't wait to see it tomorrow. The fact that I'm seeing a Broadway show when I should be in History class makes it that much sweeter.

Videos