new sweeney cd

children&art Profile Photo
children&art
#0new sweeney cd
Posted: 1/26/06 at 10:22am

i downloaded the cd from itunes last night and listened to it once, and i have to ask - what's everyone gushing about?

perhaps it loses something without the visual impact of the stage, and while i do like patti's less manic lovett, it just leaves me a little cold.

i enjoyed the lushness and the overbearing creepiness a full orchestra gave on the original and the concert cds. and i hate to admit it but cerveris' sweeney sounds affected and put upon.

perhaps it warrants another couple of listenings, i really thought that this cd would make me want to hop a plane to ny and see the show - but, no.

Don't f*ck with me fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.

hen88
#1re: new sweeney cd
Posted: 1/26/06 at 10:41am

It definitely would be better if you saw the show. But if that's not an immediately viable option, then I would suggest listening to it another couple of times. When I saw the show, it completely forced memories of the original production out of my mind. It was as though I was watching it for the first time again. Therefore, when I listened to the new cast recording, I judged it on its own merit and did not feel compelled to compare it to the OBC recording. If you give it repeated listenings, you will hear how intricate and inventive the orchestrations are. I think they don't so much truncate the music, as they put it on an entirely different playing field. There is so much nuance that can be heard for the first time to Sondheim's score that was rapped up or blended in the large and lush orchestrations by Jonathan Tunick.

I think the same goes for the performances. Cerveris is definitely not my favorite Sweeney vocally, but his performance is really astounding live. Since I saw it, I can definitely get into his performance on the cd as well. Yes - he comes off as a bit over-the-top and affected on the recording, but actually live - he is much more truthful and subtle than you could ever imagine. Patti, in my opinion, has never sounded better. She handle's all of Lovett's songs with such ease and style. She really has reinvented the role. The rest of the cast is just awesome. My personal favorites are Anthony and Johanna. They are totally the real thing - not just cardboard cut outs. And Pirelli is just astounding.

If you take the time, there definitely is richness to be beheld.

Updated On: 1/26/06 at 10:41 AM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2re: new sweeney cd
Posted: 1/26/06 at 12:11pm

I think the new orchestrations are WAY creepier than the original.

Seeing it live is a totally different experience.

I think the new orchestrations are absolutely brilliant and stunning. I find myself slowly not missing the original orchestrations anymore.

RentBoy86
#3re: new sweeney cd
Posted: 1/26/06 at 12:23pm

I'm so jealous of you all for seeing this show. I've never wanted to see a single production so bad in my life. Probably because I know this show will never tour and this is one of those once in a lifetime type productions. ugh.

hypertruffle
#4re: new sweeney cd
Posted: 1/26/06 at 1:43pm

I've only listened to the clips on iTunes and have yet to see the revival (FYI). The new orchestrations give a new wave of creepiness for me, but the actors left me a little cold. I do plan on seeing the revival soon and will buy the cast recording.

P.S- Off-topic, but has anyone heard the clips on iTunes? In 'Kiss Me II', I hear a cough at the part when Anthony reveals his name to Johanna. Am I hearing things?

"The cynicism you refer to, I acquired the day I discovered I was different from little boys!~All About Eve

littlewow
#5re: new sweeney cd
Posted: 1/26/06 at 2:33pm

Just saw the packaging.... wait until you see it... it's really nice. Lots of pictures.

anotherhundredpeople Profile Photo
anotherhundredpeople
#6re: new sweeney cd
Posted: 1/26/06 at 3:00pm

I definitely suggest seeing the show first of all; it is truly worth it. I think the simplicity of this production makes it creepier than the grandiose of the original . They have stripped everything pretty much down to just the music and lyrics. It is a chilling experience to watch, and, I think, to listen to.

-jess- "I think every actor on the stage should have a shirt that says,'believe it or not-I'm doing my best.'" -Alan Rickman

sadiem100 Profile Photo
sadiem100
#7re: new sweeney cd
Posted: 1/26/06 at 3:08pm

children&art- I agree with you. I downloaded my fav songs (A Little Priest, Not While I'm Around, etc.) and I didn't like them nearly as much as the OBC. Maybe it's the small amount of instruments that bothered me, but the all around "aura" of the cd is not what I would've expected Sweeney Todd to be like. I feel no need to see it now...

"Electricity sparks inside of me... and I'm free, I'm free."

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#8re: new sweeney cd
Posted: 1/26/06 at 3:53pm

Just from listening to it on itunes (plan on buying it on Sunday at the show), I think its absolutley brillant! Granted I've seen the show twice but its just gorgeous on record. Yeay for Sweeney!

On a side note, I find it hilarious how Patti enunciates her line "What a sweet affectionate child it is". Much different from her "whatahubbadaba Billy " line that I was listening to this morning from Anything Goes. I love her to death but she cracks me up!!!

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson
Updated On: 1/26/06 at 03:53 PM

children&art Profile Photo
children&art
#9re: new sweeney cd
Posted: 1/27/06 at 2:35pm

okay listened to it again. still not fully convinced.

patti definitely plays a cooler, calmer, but just as disturbing mrs. lovett. love michael's disinterest during "by the sea". and "not while i'm around" is splendid.

but...maybe it would help, i dont know, if since i havent seen the show, if i knew the concept. i have heard of white coffins, mental institutions, prop wall like in "my own wife". is it tobias' recounting of the events to doctors in the insane asylum?

oh, and a final note. i'm sure it is more dramatic onstage but when sweeney discovers who the beggar woman really is, it kind was flat and empty whereas before i remember getting chills at that part.

Don't f*ck with me fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.

littlewow
#10re: new sweeney cd
Posted: 1/27/06 at 2:46pm

yeah, general concept of the show: Toby in an insane asylum, they give him his violin to tell the story. all the characters inhabit the space...in his mind, in the asylum....and stay on stage the whole time. The way it's handled in the beginning and the end is really haunting...I love it. The sound design for it is wonderful!

Yankeefan007
#11re: new sweeney cd
Posted: 1/27/06 at 2:47pm

"oh, and a final note. i'm sure it is more dramatic onstage but when sweeney discovers who the beggar woman really is, it kind was flat and empty whereas before i remember getting chills at that part."

I haven't listened to that on the CD yet....in fact, I'm only half-way through disc one. On stage, though, I remember it falling flat, only because I could barely hear the dialogue.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#12re: new sweeney cd
Posted: 1/27/06 at 5:22pm

Going into the show (I saw it in November) I was thinking I probably would not buy the CD. I don't buy revival CD's. Aftre seeing the show and having been completely blown away, I can't wait to hear it. I am sure it may take a bit of getting used to. 1- because I love the original so much and 2- It has now been 2 months since I have seen it so it is not as fresh in my mind. But it is mine next Tuesday!

Just give the world Love.

Videos