pixeltracker

New JEKYLL & HYDE: RESURRECTION Sound Clips- Page 2

New JEKYLL & HYDE: RESURRECTION Sound Clips

WildhornFanatic
#25re: New JEKYLL & HYDE: RESURRECTION Sound Clips
Posted: 2/27/06 at 1:59pm

I like it too. Thanks Jeremy for posting on here.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#26re: New JEKYLL & HYDE: RESURRECTION Sound Clips
Posted: 2/27/06 at 2:05pm

What is the point of a new JH recording?

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#27re: New JEKYLL & HYDE: RESURRECTION Sound Clips
Posted: 2/27/06 at 2:10pm

" I can't help but admire the tenancity of a man who clearly knows how to access and retain his fan base. Although I'll take lush gothic orchestration over rock any day, Wildhorn's writing has always been very modern pop-based, and so I think the Jekyll and Hyde score lends itself to that. Look at shows like Jesus Christ Superstar, which began as a rock concept album. "

Very well put! which is why I am always interested in sitting down with people like this to pick their brain and see where some projects are headed.

While Jeremy has already stated the reason for the CD, having seen the first incarnation of J&H in Concert, these arrangements could easily fit into the concert concept. In fact the concert itself seems to be evolving since its premier last summer. I would love to see a revised staging of songs like "The World Has Gone Insane". I can imagine some pretty wild things for an old gal!

For those asking about Facade, or chorus numbers, again, there are only the 3 actors up there telling/singing the story. It's very effective and easy to follow. Nothing is lost from the full production. I enjoyed it more, in fact.

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"
Updated On: 2/27/06 at 02:10 PM

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#28re: New JEKYLL & HYDE: RESURRECTION Sound Clips
Posted: 2/27/06 at 2:10pm

Umm...why is Emma a belter? Love Brandi's voice, but she should be singing Lucy. Um...yeah. "In His Eyes" was semi-painful. Sorry. Not a fan.

BSoBW3 Profile Photo
BSoBW3
#29re: New JEKYLL & HYDE: RESURRECTION Sound Clips
Posted: 2/27/06 at 2:40pm

Yea, Brandi would make an awesome Lucy.

IT took some getting used to. But, as Jeremy keeps saying, this is NOT meant to be performed.

Think of it AS a rock album telling the J&H story. Not as J&H, the Broadway Musical.

It is tough to grasp, and took me a while too. Listening to it was difficult because I was used to the Broadwy version. But I do think this is a very interesting concept, and once you let go of the fact that this is meant to be heard, not seen, I think it sounds great.

I could see "IF YOU ONLY KNEW" becoming a pop song - if it doesn't get very plot heavy, I don't think it is (?)

It is interesting to hear Emma as a belter...I mean, why not?

I am not a fan of Kate Shindle. I remember I read an essay she wrote - she is a very beautiful person, as well. But not so much with the voice.

The smallest stream is a valent river. It will drown me if it can.
Updated On: 2/27/06 at 02:40 PM

munkustrap178
#30re: New JEKYLL & HYDE: RESURRECTION Sound Clips
Posted: 2/27/06 at 2:48pm

This is the most pointless CD.

The original two disc recording is the best version of this show. "This is the Moment" here is energetic, but it's just stupid. The backgrounds on "It's a Dangerous Game" are embarrasing. It's like something from a forgotten 80's flop pop song.

How terrible and unnecessary.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

BSoBW3 Profile Photo
BSoBW3
#31re: New JEKYLL & HYDE: RESURRECTION Sound Clips
Posted: 2/27/06 at 2:51pm

Live, Rob Evan's Hyde was so different from his Jekyll. From what I hear on the recording - not so much.

Is this the song list of the concert by any chance?

I don't really get it - at all.

Updated On: 2/27/06 at 02:51 PM

munkustrap178
#32re: New JEKYLL & HYDE: RESURRECTION Sound Clips
Posted: 2/27/06 at 3:00pm

I hated the show, but I enjoyed the concept album very much. This CD is just god-awful. Who in their right mind would produce a third (or fourth) CD of this tragic show?

Jeremy Roberts
#33re: New JEKYLL & HYDE: RESURRECTION Sound Clips
Posted: 2/27/06 at 3:01pm

>> But, as Jeremy keeps saying, this is NOT meant to be performed.

That's not exactly what I said -- I said that this is not a representation of any previous staged productions. That doesn't mean that a director might want to make a future version based on these ideas (although that would be most difficult due to licensing issues)... we did not set out to re-conceive any stage production. The recording must stand on its own.

As for the "Emma belting" sub-thread... we went through this when Dracula clips first surfaced, and some people were horrified that Mina would dare "belt" a note... as someone who worked with (some would say) one of this generation's finest "belters" for more than 18 years - this issue is moot. It's ALL ABOUT the emotional impact of the lyric, not what part of the voice is used. Sometimes, Brandi sings Emma in a "head" voice, sometimes, the so-called "mix" - sometimes, an all-out "belt" -- and it has EVERYTHING to do with the lyric and the phrasing of the song... to compare a 4 bar section of "In His Eyes" and make an opinion on that is rather short-sighted.

The danger of releasing audio clips 30-seconds at a time, is that the listener will never hear the full dramatic range of the performance. Only the snapshot. So all I can ask for is that you withhold judgment of these types of things until you hear the entire arc of the song. We actually gave it some thought as we were doing it! I don't mean to crash the thread, but it's not fair to the performers to make a blanket statement without actually hearing the track.

www.globalvisionrecords.com

BSoBW3 Profile Photo
BSoBW3
#34re: New JEKYLL & HYDE: RESURRECTION Sound Clips
Posted: 2/27/06 at 3:09pm

Well, yeah. My comment was to the person who said that J&H is a musical. This CD is for the music, not the stage performance, per se. Of course any director could (rights aside) do as he/she wants.

But, OH, Dracula. The poor recording. Kate is NO Melissa. And doesn't come close - new orchestrations or not. She is the only part of these two recordings that turns me off.

I enjoyed this show (DRACULA) so much. So this recording is a collectible. That's all it will ever be to me, sad to say. Though James, Lauren, and Norm are fantastic (and would have been great in the show). I think there was too much hype around it, and it was impossible to appease.

(I think it was a marketing problem. We were all kept in the dark - I know, I - and some others - were expecting it to be the B'way songs + cut songs re-orchestrated. Obviously, it is not.)

Updated On: 2/27/06 at 03:09 PM

nick3594
#35re: New JEKYLL & HYDE: RESURRECTION Sound Clips
Posted: 2/27/06 at 3:11pm

actually, this new album is the 15th CD of Jekyll & Hyde that's been produced internationally. obviously people like it more than you think!

WildhornFanatic
#36re: New JEKYLL & HYDE: RESURRECTION Sound Clips
Posted: 2/27/06 at 3:15pm

Just approach the CD with an open mind. Just because you hate Frank Wildhorn and his "pop" music, don't bash the CD. People worked hard for a very long time on this. If you listen to the entire thing and not like it, that's different, but seriously, you can't judge the entire CD just on the clips.
Updated On: 2/27/06 at 03:15 PM

BSoBW3 Profile Photo
BSoBW3
#37re: New JEKYLL & HYDE: RESURRECTION Sound Clips
Posted: 2/27/06 at 3:16pm

J&H or Dracula?

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#38re: New JEKYLL & HYDE: RESURRECTION Sound Clips
Posted: 2/27/06 at 4:08pm

I really love J&H.

I'm not loving the clips that I have heard though. With the exception of the Epilogue which is very cool having the trio sing together.

For me it's taking what I loved about the OBC recording and taking that part out. And I don't like the fact that Emma is a belter. And I think the girls sound like Britany and Christina and not Broadway.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#39re: New JEKYLL & HYDE: RESURRECTION Sound Clips
Posted: 2/27/06 at 4:23pm

People worked hard for a very long time on this.

People work very hard on bad things all the time.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Phantom05 Profile Photo
Phantom05
#40re: New JEKYLL & HYDE: RESURRECTION Sound Clips
Posted: 2/27/06 at 5:26pm

I disagree with the comment "a musical is a mucial, and pop-rock is pop-rock"...The word "musical" does not denote a type of music, just a style of theatre. While I don't personally like the clips, I don't have a problem with musicals having a pop/rock score. I do think that a musical should lend itself to the period of the story that it's trying to convey, but hey, if the story takes place today then why not use modern scoring? Don't lump musical theatre in with one style of music, because it's not...If it were, then we wouldn't all love it now would we!

See Ya!

Phantom05

------- "We Drink Your Blood And Then We Eat Your Soul, Nothings Gonna Stop Us Let The Bad Times Roll" -------"Past The Point Of No Return, No Backward Glances, Abandon Thought And Let The Dream Begin"

BSoBW3 Profile Photo
BSoBW3
#41re: New JEKYLL & HYDE: RESURRECTION Sound Clips
Posted: 2/27/06 at 5:27pm

Phantom05 - I think the comment was referring to theatricality of the piece.

Yes, a musical is a broad genre - but it does convey a sense of theatrical performance...

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#42re: New JEKYLL & HYDE: RESURRECTION Sound Clips
Posted: 2/27/06 at 5:28pm

I for one am a huge J&H fan and absolutely love the clips of the music, some more then others. Rob Evan singing this is the moment is incredible!

"Judy Garland, Jimmy Dean, You tragedy Queen" ~ Taboo

"Watching a frat boy realize just what he put his d!ck in...ex's getting std's...schadenfruede" ~ Ave Q

"when dangers near, exploit their fear" ~ Reefer Madness the Musical

WildhornFanatic
#43re: New JEKYLL & HYDE: RESURRECTION Sound Clips
Posted: 2/27/06 at 6:28pm

I enjoy the clips.

Peter
#44re: New JEKYLL & HYDE: RESURRECTION Sound Clips
Posted: 2/27/06 at 6:47pm

I think "god awful" is an understatement here. Its kinda hilarious actually. Rob Evan is fine, but everyone else seems to be screachingly screaming everything, while the bombastic electric guitar driven music is so over-the-top garish now you can really see why the critics found so much fault with it in the first place.
Updated On: 2/27/06 at 06:47 PM

#45re: New JEKYLL & HYDE: RESURRECTION Sound Clips
Posted: 2/27/06 at 6:58pm

wish i could hear the clips. it IS interesting to hear that Emma is being belted..i got in trouble any time i tried to belt anything in the show..frank said emma was to be legit and mixed where applicable.
well..gee...too bad Emma didn't get her BETTER than Once Upon a Dream solo when the show was on broadway! thats show biz as they say. i was constantly reminded that it was lucky enough the Emma character existed at all. gotta LOVE show biz.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#46re: New JEKYLL & HYDE: RESURRECTION Sound Clips
Posted: 2/27/06 at 7:01pm

Imagine Evan on the DVD instead of Hasselhoff?

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 2/27/06 at 07:01 PM

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#47re: New JEKYLL & HYDE: RESURRECTION Sound Clips
Posted: 2/27/06 at 7:02pm

That would make me thrilled. I loved Rob Evan in this part.

"Judy Garland, Jimmy Dean, You tragedy Queen" ~ Taboo

"Watching a frat boy realize just what he put his d!ck in...ex's getting std's...schadenfruede" ~ Ave Q

"when dangers near, exploit their fear" ~ Reefer Madness the Musical

#48re: New JEKYLL & HYDE: RESURRECTION Sound Clips
Posted: 2/27/06 at 7:07pm

mr roxy, i don't have to imagine..i've seen it. evan was awesome on the flim too. unfortunately its not available for the general public. i wish there was an archive of joe mahowald out there.

#49re: New JEKYLL & HYDE: RESURRECTION Sound Clips
Posted: 2/27/06 at 7:08pm

oh, and without even hearing it..i must say that jeremy roberts is a genius and i am sure it is beautifully done. i would like to see HIM move on to some OTHER music he loves and record that.