Carrie - Original Workshop Cast

ThePinballWizard Profile Photo
ThePinballWizard
#0Carrie - Original Workshop Cast
Posted: 3/31/06 at 11:35am

I was thinking actually this morning about this show for some reason. I remember seeing a partial cast list for the Workshop Cast of Carrie and thought to myself, what would the show would have been like with these people in it?

Margaret White: Maureen McGovern
Carrie White: Annie Golden
Chris Hargenson: Liz Callaway
Ms. Gardner: Laurie Beechman
Ensemble Member: DONNA MURPHY

If the show would have not been so overdone and have a different director I'm pretty sure that it could have or would have worked. To hear Maureen McGovern sing Eve Was Weak or to hear Laurie Beechman sing Unsuspecting Hearts would have been amazing. Any thoughts?

"Isn't it strange that we spend most of our time learning to do what they put people in asylums for." - Jane Fonda on Acting

Garland Grrrl Profile Photo
Garland Grrrl
#1re: Carrie - Original Workshop Cast
Posted: 3/31/06 at 11:38am

i have this on tape. annie is great -- liz is great as well but her material is so-so. maureen has a great voice but is just not gripping. i also have a few of the songs done by barbara cook which always make me laugh, for some reason. there's just no one who sings it like betty and l. hately.

Mind is Mantra.

ThePinballWizard
#2re: Carrie - Original Workshop Cast
Posted: 3/31/06 at 11:42am

That's so funny to think about Barbara Cook playing Margaret White. She's a great performer but not necessarily in this genre of musical theater. I do remember hearing somewhere that after the closing night of Carrie in London she gave the producers a present. They opened it and inside was an axe and note that stated you're going to need it for this show.

"Isn't it strange that we spend most of our time learning to do what they put people in asylums for." - Jane Fonda on Acting

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#3re: Carrie - Original Workshop Cast
Posted: 3/31/06 at 11:45am

I always wondered about the fact that Annie Golden and Maureen McGovern are playing mother and daughter when they are roughly the same age.

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#4re: Carrie - Original Workshop Cast
Posted: 3/31/06 at 11:55am

I am not a big fan of Cook, so I find it very funny to hear her mess up "Carrie" on the tape I have. It just doesnt work. McGovern's voice is glorious on "How the Boys..." but there is nothing behind it, as GG said. Betty is IT.
Another weird age thing is that Darlene Love's understudy was Lillias White (who I would've taken a life to see.) She must've been a kid.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#5re: Carrie - Original Workshop Cast
Posted: 3/31/06 at 11:57am

okay...looked it up...Lillias was born in 1951! I thought she was much younger than that! I guess she was perfect for the part.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

WChafin Profile Photo
WChafin
#6re: Carrie - Original Workshop Cast
Posted: 3/31/06 at 1:01pm

The Original Workshop Cast was as follows:

Maureen McGovern (Margaret White)
Annie Golden (Carrie White)
Laurie Beechman (Miss Gardner)
Liz Callaway (Chris)
Laura Dean (Sue)
Todd Graff (Tommy)
Peter Nepture (Billy)

The Ensemble Members were: Julie Cohen, Lisa Curtis, Elisa Fiorillo (who later when on to have a minor pop hit with "Who Found Who" and recorded with Prince), Cynthia Hunt, Donna Murphy and Karen Ryan.

Please visit Michael Rupert's MySpace Page includes rare and live performances.
Updated On: 3/31/06 at 01:01 PM

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#7re: Carrie - Original Workshop Cast
Posted: 3/31/06 at 1:19pm

Great cast...I've only heard Maureen at the backer's audition...maybe she wouldve grown in the role.

I'd love to hear Annie's "I'm Not Alone" and "Carrie."

Anyone know why none of these kids stayed with the show?

ThePinballWizard
#8re: Carrie - Original Workshop Cast
Posted: 3/31/06 at 1:57pm

I thought Liz Callaway played Chris not Sue? It should be vice versa.

WChafin Profile Photo
WChafin
#9re: Carrie - Original Workshop Cast
Posted: 3/31/06 at 2:01pm

You're right. Was typing too fast. Changed it.

Please visit Michael Rupert's MySpace Page includes rare and live performances.

AuditioningWaitress
#10re: Carrie - Original Workshop Cast
Posted: 4/2/06 at 1:22pm

Wow I didn't know Laura Dean played Sue...I loved her in FAME! It's hard to imagine Liz Callaway as Chris..She's such a sweetheart!!!

Videos