Avenue Q Review 4/4

kyguy78 Profile Photo
kyguy78
#0Avenue Q Review 4/4
Posted: 4/8/06 at 9:55pm

This was the show I'd been dying to see for months now and it did not fail to live up to the hype! My wife wanted to try the "Wicked" lotto and we went and it wasn't as crazy as I thought, but we lost as I told her we would.

We got tickets to Avenue Q in the rear mezz, but there were some seats in the front mezz we got to move up into after Act I. Honestly, the theater is so small there's really not a bad seat there.

I was just amazed at how seamlessly they seemed to switch puppets and actors out with ease. Plus the framework of the show makes it very accessible and when the little pre-taped bits pop up, they don't take away anything from the actors and just add to what's going on. The two hours plus just flew by and the show moved at a steady clip. And most importantly, the audience was with the cast every step of the way. I lost count of how many times the actors had to hold for laughs and applause. The audience gave the cast a standing ovation and I loved the show so much, I bought one of the signed Trekkie Monster posters they sold afterwards.

I thought Mary Faber was excellent as Kate and Lucy. I know some people have said she's just copying Stephanie, but I didn't think that was the case, at least based on just hearing the cast recording. I actually thought she did a great job with Lucy and she made Kate very real to me. My wife actually got a little teary eyed during "There's a Fine, Fine Line."

Barret was very good as well, but his singing voice isn't as good as John's. He does have a great prescence and he plays Princeton very understated and Rod a little more over the top.

Christian stole the show for me though. His Nicky and Trekkie were terrific and both had me in stitches all night.

The entire show was great; better than I even thought it would be! From singing boxes to hot puppet sex to everything else, this was one of the best shows I've ever seen. I saw the "Wicked" tour in Cincinnati and having seen both of the shows now, I can honestly see why Avenue Q won the Tony (I'm prepared to face the slings and arrows). It moves at a much faster clip and there's not a single wasted moment in the show, unlike in Wicked where I thought there were a few times the show kind of bogged down.

Yankeefan007
#1re: Avenue Q Review 4/4
Posted: 4/8/06 at 9:58pm

Avenue Q winning was a no-brainer. I've seen it twice already and it's still as fresh as the first time.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#2re: Avenue Q Review 4/4
Posted: 4/8/06 at 10:00pm

What did you think of Ann Sanders?

Madhatter Profile Photo
Madhatter
#3re: Avenue Q Review 4/4
Posted: 4/8/06 at 10:00pm

Great review, glad you liked the show, it's one of my favorites. I completly agree with what you said about Wicked and Avenue Q and hpw dieffernt they are. Wicked has its slow moments then Avenue Q just flies by with no problem.

kyguy78 Profile Photo
kyguy78
#4re: Avenue Q Review 4/4
Posted: 4/8/06 at 10:04pm

I thought Ann was really good and my wife even commented on how strong her voice sounded. I'm sure that's kind of a tough part to get into, but I bet it's a lot of fun too.

mint0621 Profile Photo
mint0621
#5re: Avenue Q Review 4/4
Posted: 4/8/06 at 10:17pm

Trekkie is my favorite too! Glad to see Christian's doing a good job after Rick has gone...

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#6re: Avenue Q Review 4/4
Posted: 4/8/06 at 10:38pm

"Barret was very good as well, but his singing voice isn't as good as John's"

Really? Interesting, I actually thought Barrett was a better singer than John.

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#7re: Avenue Q Review 4/4
Posted: 4/8/06 at 10:39pm

Great review, and yes, Avenue Q should have won without a doubt over Wicked. It has so much more artistic value. The only awards Wicked should have won were Costuming, lighting, and best actress.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#8re: Avenue Q Review 4/4
Posted: 4/8/06 at 10:42pm

And that's what it DID win correct?
I know it won costume and actress...forget whether or not it took lighting...

ANYWAYS...

YAAAAY AVENUE Q!

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

broadwaybaby221
#9re: Avenue Q Review 4/4
Posted: 4/8/06 at 10:43pm

"Christian stole the show for me though. His Nicky and Trekkie were terrific and both had me in stitches all night."

I adore Christian! He stole the show for me too. So very talented.

~Sara~

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#10re: Avenue Q Review 4/4
Posted: 4/8/06 at 10:49pm

Princeton- yes! The Tonys worked out perfectly that year.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#11re: Avenue Q Review 4/4
Posted: 4/9/06 at 12:47am

I've never seen Mary or Christian.
That does it. I will try and go sometime this week.
After seeing Festen, I need something fun. Updated On: 4/9/06 at 12:47 AM

Videos