`* Audition Songs for Altos ?

iTaLiAn xOx StAr
#0`* Audition Songs for Altos ?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 4:06pm

Does anyone know of any Broadway songs that would be beneficial to a teenage alto?

I'm auditioning for "Bye Bye Birdie" and hope to be cast as Rose ... My director requires a Broadway-type song and I'd like to perform something I can belt, but most songs I know are Soprano.

Any ideas? Thanks!

~ Lexi xoxo

Garland Grrrl Profile Photo
Garland Grrrl
#1re: `* Audition Songs for Altos ?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 4:11pm

Turn Back Oh Man from GODSPELL
good luck!!

Mind is Mantra.

VonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
#2re: `* Audition Songs for Altos ?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 4:14pm

Typically, musical-theatre women aren't known as altos - it's mezzos and sopranos. Anyway, a great song for you if you really want to knock everyone's socks off is "Look At Me Now" from Lippa's The Wild Party. Very difficult, but amazing if you can pull it off. Also look at "It Will never Be That Way Again" from Ruthless! and "I Want To Go To Hollywood" from Grand Hotel.

Hope this helps!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3re: `* Audition Songs for Altos ?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 4:24pm

^ There are still some amazing alto roles in theatre. And there have been some wonderful altos in theatre history.

Great alto roles

- Roxie (Chicago)
- Charity (Sweet Charity)
- Ruth (Wonderful Town)
- Sally Bowles (Cabaret)
- Spider Woman (Kiss Of The Spider Woman)

and sooooo many more.

The female leading roles from those shows have great alto songs that make good audition songs.

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#4re: `* Audition Songs for Altos ?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 4:30pm

"Hold On" from The Secret Garden is a good "alto-range" song. It has some low notes in it where you can really show off your lower range.

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

Broadwayluva Profile Photo
Broadwayluva
#5re: `* Audition Songs for Altos ?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 4:38pm

Johnny One Note . . . Babes in Arms

VonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
#6re: `* Audition Songs for Altos ?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 4:52pm

"The female leading roles from those shows have great alto songs that make good audition songs."

That's true, but I've always been told to stay away from audition material from shows like those - the ones that've been done over and over like Chicago, et all. *shrug* I don't know.

Ruth Sherwood is a good one, though. "One Hundred Easy Ways" could possibly be an amazing song for an alto-range singer.

peggyandvelma Profile Photo
peggyandvelma
#7re: `* Audition Songs for Altos ?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 5:39pm

AH! I was gonna say "One Hundred Easy Ways". Plus, it's really funny and you can go over the top and show off your comedic skills. I love the Donna Murphy version.

No one is alone.

Videos