pixeltracker

`* "Bye Bye Birdie" or Other Shows for Youth Theatre?

`* "Bye Bye Birdie" or Other Shows for Youth Theatre?

iTaLiAn xOx StAr
#0`* "Bye Bye Birdie" or Other Shows for Youth Theatre?
Posted: 4/14/06 at 6:33pm

A former director of mine is beginning a theatre group in our area, the debut production being "Bye Bye Birdie."

If anyone's performed in a production of "Birdie," we'd really appreciate any suggestions you have regarding the show.

Any great experiences with the show? Anything you wish would've been done differently?

Also, we'd be thrilled if anyone has suggestions for possible future shows. The performers' ages range from 8 ~ 21, but age limits can vary depending on subject matter. For example, "Birdie" isn't available to anyone under the age of 13.

Thanks SO much for your help! It's truly appreciated. :)

brdwybound2 Profile Photo
brdwybound2
#1re: `* 'Bye Bye Birdie' or Other Shows for Youth Theatre?
Posted: 4/14/06 at 7:05pm

Just finished my production of Bye Bye Birdie a month ago. Really fun show for kids that age I think, I had fun! PM me for details or if you have questions.

somebody hold me too close...

VonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
#2re: `* 'Bye Bye Birdie' or Other Shows for Youth Theatre?
Posted: 4/14/06 at 8:00pm

Birdie is fun. I've worked with a youth theatre group in my area for the past few years, and some of our best productions have been Into the Woods [NOT the junior version. We attempted the adult one and it came off really well], Seussical, Annie, Guys and Dolls, and The Sound of Music. We're also doing Les Miserables [the school edition] later this year.

Our shows usually turn out really nicely. If you have any questions about the way we work feel free to PM me. :)

Renthead#1 Profile Photo
Renthead#1
#3re: `* 'Bye Bye Birdie' or Other Shows for Youth Theatre?
Posted: 4/14/06 at 8:16pm

Last summer I was just in Bye Bye Birdie where the ages varied from 7~17 I was Ed Sullivan, and a member of the teen chorous. Well I wish I could have been onstage more. Another great show that youth theatre could do would be Guys and Dolls.

Go ask Alice When she's ten feet tall

knows_too_much Profile Photo
knows_too_much
#4re: `* 'Bye Bye Birdie' or Other Shows for Youth Theatre?
Posted: 4/14/06 at 8:22pm

I've seen or been in great productions of the following shows done by that age group: The Wiz, Grease, Children of Eden, Once on this Island, The Music Man, Damn Yankees.

I Wish... Madeline Kahn could have played the Witch in Into the Woods. She would have rocked!

neomystyk29 Profile Photo
neomystyk29
#5re: `* 'Bye Bye Birdie' or Other Shows for Youth Theatre?
Posted: 4/14/06 at 9:53pm

I LOVE Bye Bye Birdie. I just finished it at my high school and we had an amazing cast. I played Hugo and it was one of the most fun parts I've ever had. We had a great talented cast and Mr. McAfee was excellent. It's a fun show full of energy and big dance numbers.

A show I'm performing this weekend and next weekend helping out with a childrens theatre is HONK!. It's the show that beat out the Lion King for the Olivier (London Tony) for BEST MUSICAL. It's the adapted story of the Ugly duckling. The music is fun yet not super difficult but the leads get some real meat to work with and there are several actors to feature with music and scenes. We're doing the junior version by the way, but the adult version can't be too different other than a few different songs and more characters. I play UGLY the lead. A good time. The aged in our show range from 9 - 17

overthemoon419 Profile Photo
overthemoon419
#6re: `* 'Bye Bye Birdie' or Other Shows for Youth Theatre?
Posted: 4/15/06 at 1:37am

I was Mae Peterson when I was sixteen. Not that I think I'm an authority on the role or anything, but if you have any questions regarding characterization or anything, just PM me and I'd be glad to answer them. Bye Bye Birdie is far from my favorite show, but it's really a ton of fun to perform.

"It's not for sissies, contrary to popular belief." - Tommy Tune, on musical theatre.

My avatar: Yummy, no?

WayWicked
#7re: `* 'Bye Bye Birdie' or Other Shows for Youth Theatre?
Posted: 4/15/06 at 2:21am

Oklahoma City University is doing it this summer for their excellent high school musical theater camp. I so wish I could go as a friend went last year and said OCU rocks. And I LUV Birdie!

PS- They're not doing "BAbes In Arms" as listed.

http://www.okcu.edu/music/academy/classes.asp

Happy Happy Joy Joy
Updated On: 4/15/06 at 02:21 AM

Videos