Reba's wonderful!

fiyero8132
#0Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 9:19pm

I'm just watching South Pacific on tv and Reba's doing so well. I was worried about how she would hold up considering her country background. She is so well suited to the part and her voice sounds glorious.

Yankeefan007
#1re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 9:23pm

Stokes should teach a Master Class in singing.

BroomstickBoy Profile Photo
BroomstickBoy
#2re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 9:24pm

Stokes singing "Some Enchanted Evening" and those sailors.....

and Lillias White, is this being released on dvd too?

I don't WANT to live in what they call "a certain way." In the first place I'd be no good at it and besides that I don't want to be identified with any one class of people. I want to live every whichway, among all kinds---and know them---and understand them---and love them---THAT's what I want! - Philip Barry (Holiday)

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#3re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 9:30pm

Uh-oh. Alec Baldwin is sweating!

hushpuppy Profile Photo
hushpuppy
#4re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 9:58pm

She keeps messing up the lines.
"I'm bromidic and bright as a moon-happy night pouring light on the dew"

NOT

"I'm bromidic and bright as a moon-happy night pouring OUT on the dew"

And she's got the lyrics in front of her. Grrrrrrrrr

'Our whole family shouts. It comes from us livin' so close to the railroad tracks'

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#5re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 10:05pm

Oh please - it was a concert with limited prep time. Lauren Kennedy used to mess those words up all the time too and she did a full run. The words are basically nonsensical - if it really bothered R&H estate they would have made her go back and re-record it - especially for the cd release.

Michael Bennett
#6re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 10:05pm

Updated On: 4/26/06 at 10:05 PM

PitPro2004 Profile Photo
PitPro2004
#7re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 10:10pm

Reba is utterly charming! The whole show is great!

So glad I saw her in Annie Get Your Gun!!

I know the CD came out last Tuesday, but the DVD?

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium!"

Thesbijean
#8re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 10:12pm

She was very charming, though a little flat in Wonderful Guy...

hushpuppy Profile Photo
hushpuppy
#9re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 10:16pm

Don't "Oh Please" me. Every gay boy over the age of 30 knows every lyric to SOUTH PACIFIC by heart so it isn't too much to ask a professional singer/actress to get them right. Especially when she's 'on book'.

But yes, it's great fun to see and hear, especially since I was way up in the nosebleed section at Carnegie Hall when I saw it live. "This Nearly Was Mine" will tear a hole in your heart.

'Our whole family shouts. It comes from us livin' so close to the railroad tracks'

Michael Bennett
#10re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 10:20pm

Last I looked, Reba wasn't a gay man over or under the age of 30. Though she could maybe pull off Victor/Victoria.

My point is - that this was a one time only concert version. Even being on book, an actor can flub a lyric.

And that really is a small flub. If she had come out and sang - "Some Enchanted Evening - You may feel a stranger - you may feel a stranger across a padded room" or something I'd have been more stringent.
Updated On: 4/26/06 at 10:20 PM

stokesrocks Profile Photo
stokesrocks
#11re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 10:24pm

This thread should be changed to Stokes is wonderful! That man is the BEST! Jason Danieley is great too! I personally don't think Reba is right for the part.

#12re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 10:33pm

I haven't seen this since I was a kid. I didn't realize how hilariously surface the script is. What fun.

Michael Bennett
#13re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 10:34pm

Well honey, Stokes is even more NOT RIGHT for the part than Reba. But that's why they are doing it as a concert version.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#14re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 10:38pm

I wouldn't have minded the lyric flub if she hadn't been staring right into her book both times she flubbed the same line.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

brdwaybaby17 Profile Photo
brdwaybaby17
#15re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 10:40pm

I agree Michael... considering he's black and everything... lol
But his voice fits perfectly.
And Reba kicked butt on Honey Bun... she's much better without the script in her hands...
But then again, who isn't.
Who is playing Cable?

guitargeek0624 Profile Photo
guitargeek0624
#16re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 10:42pm

I saw Brian Stokes Mitchell in Man of La Mancha twice, and haven't heard him sing since. I was flipping through the channels, and all of a sudden I hear his voice, and I *knew* it was him. I kept watching, and he was incredible! Reba surprised me as well; I honestly never knew she could sing!

"A little rebellion, now and then, is a good thing." - Thomas Jefferson

stokesrocks Profile Photo
stokesrocks
#17re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 10:43pm

Well, maybe he doesn't "look" the part but his voice is pure and beautiful as usual. Jason Danieley is playing Cable.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#18re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 10:43pm

"Reba surprised me as well; I honestly never knew she could sing!"

What?

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

guitargeek0624
#19re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 10:50pm

All I know about her is that she has a show on the WB, apparantly. So she has a history in theatre? I honestly didn't know, sorry.

Updated On: 4/26/06 at 10:50 PM

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#20re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 10:53pm

She's a country music superstar. She came to theater very late in her career. And a tv show, even later.

Updated On: 4/26/06 at 10:53 PM

guitargeek0624
#21re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 10:55pm

That makes sense, heh. I never really thought of a country musician doing theatre, but she's good!

hushpuppy Profile Photo
hushpuppy
#22re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 10:57pm

In case anyone missed it, the DVD is $24.99 and the CD is $17.99. The number to call is 1-800-336-1917

jaesdare Profile Photo
jaesdare
#23re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 11:04pm

I want to be serenaded by Brian singing Dulcinea while proposing on his knees....anyways he was stupendous, I didn't enjoy Reba much... LILLIAS WHITE IS MY IDOL...
okay I'm done

jimmycurry01
#24re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 11:04pm

A lot of people don't follow country music at all, it is perfectly plausible not to know she sings, i know more than a few people who don't know who she is. As for messing up the lyric while reading the script, haven't you ever been reading out loud and ended up tongue tied a little bit? They got to rehearse this as a whole one time. We can't expect perefction from a one night concert woth little rehearsl time.

Videos