What's in YOUR iPod?

Tirso de Molina
#0What's in YOUR iPod?
Posted: 5/7/06 at 5:03pm

okay, folks, it's poll time: what theater cast albums, concert recordings, etc., do you load onto your iPod or pop into your Walkman for working out at the gym or going running or whatever? what are the best shows/composers/performers to keep the adrenaline pumping while you're exercising?!

I was listening to the Sondheim "scrabble album" on the stairmaster today -- I kept replaying "America" to get me through the highest-level parts of the "rolling hills" program!

"Sweet summer evenings, hot wine and bread / Sharing your supper, sharing your bed / Simple joys have a simple voice: It says why not go ahead?"

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#1re: What's in YOUR iPod?
Posted: 5/7/06 at 5:05pm

The best thing to work out to, I think, is "Hairspray." Almost every song is fast and upbeat.

I plan on making a playlist of my favorite "belty" songs.

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#2re: What's in YOUR iPod?
Posted: 5/7/06 at 5:07pm

Definitely Hairspray. And Out Tonight.

iso_pop
#3re: What's in YOUR iPod?
Posted: 5/7/06 at 5:08pm

RENT.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#4re: What's in YOUR iPod?
Posted: 5/7/06 at 5:08pm

I do enjoy exercizing to anything upbeat and happy. Hairspray is always good, as is parts of A Chorus Line and Chicago.

However, I can never work out while listening to Sondheim (except parts of Company). I just want to stop and listen to the song, and I forget about the fact I'm suppossed to be exrecizing.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#5re: What's in YOUR iPod?
Posted: 5/7/06 at 5:10pm

I workout/dance to usually big ensemble numbers or dance numbers. Company, side by side, tick tock, I hope I get it, montage, music and the mirror, tornado ballet, Aquarius, Fame, Pippin Finale, Day by day... things like that...oh! and my Sailor Moon Musical cd's.

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"
Updated On: 5/7/06 at 05:10 PM

BSoBW2
#6re: What's in YOUR iPod?
Posted: 5/7/06 at 5:11pm

Reefer Madness and Bat Boy.

dirty rotten guy Profile Photo
dirty rotten guy
#7re: What's in YOUR iPod?
Posted: 5/7/06 at 5:13pm

Hah, I love when my friends borrow my iPod expecting to find modern music but instead it is almost entirely cast albums. It is so funny when they open up the artists part and they are like "who the hell are these people?" re: What's in YOUR iPod?

Broadway albums on my iPod:
-Aida
-Cabaret
-Chicago
-Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
-Grease
-Little Shop of Horrors
-Once Upon a Matress
-Spamalot
-Sweeney Todd
-Sweeney Todd (revival)
-Sweet Charity
-The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
-The Threepenny Opera

"The hallmark of aristocracy is responsibility. Oh brother, that got me, that did me in!"

JoeGillis
#8re: What's in YOUR iPod?
Posted: 5/7/06 at 5:18pm

Broadway in my I-POD :

Rent - OBC
Aida
Bright Lights, Big City
Wicked

Random B'way songs:

Another Hundered People
Meadow Lark
Songs from the Last Five Years
Songs from Spelling Bee
and
Songs from Piazza

picturetaker9211 Profile Photo
picturetaker9211
#9re: What's in YOUR iPod?
Posted: 5/7/06 at 5:18pm

almost the whole rent album
a few hairspray songs
almost of all you're a good man charlie brown re: What's in YOUR iPod?

"Some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, take the moment & making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious ambiguity."
-Gilda Radner

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#10re: What's in YOUR iPod?
Posted: 5/7/06 at 5:20pm

As little as I work out (though I think ill start more because I got a really nice gym bag because I drink so many propel fitness water) brooklyn is fun to work out to.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#11re: What's in YOUR iPod?
Posted: 5/7/06 at 5:21pm

If I'm running, I can be listening to almost anything...

Shiksa Goddess2
#12re: What's in YOUR iPod?
Posted: 5/7/06 at 5:24pm

I was actually looking for a good cast album to work out to last night, and I ended up listening to my pop songs on shuffle instead. I have everything I own on my iPod, but I think I need to make a playlist of faster songs from musicals if I'm gonna be able to work out to them.

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#13re: What's in YOUR iPod?
Posted: 5/7/06 at 5:25pm

listing all 3,000 songs would be pointless....

but i can honestly work out to ANYTHING.

i've worked out to Nine before. I've also worked out to Light in the Piazza

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

ashley0139
#14re: What's in YOUR iPod?
Posted: 5/7/06 at 5:28pm

It is so funny when they open up the artists part and they are like "who the hell are these people?

That happens to me ALL THE TIME. Norbert Leo Butz? Heather Headley? I tell them they have to look in "albums" to understand it.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

dirty rotten guy Profile Photo
dirty rotten guy
#15re: What's in YOUR iPod?
Posted: 5/7/06 at 5:31pm

Hah, that is exactly what I tell them too. But generally by that time they just hand it back to me and go find someone with "real music".

"The hallmark of aristocracy is responsibility. Oh brother, that got me, that did me in!"
Updated On: 5/7/06 at 05:31 PM

ProducersFan
#16re: What's in YOUR iPod?
Posted: 5/7/06 at 5:34pm

I love taking my iPod into the studio when I'm working on my stained glass and can dance around to Broadway songs - it's best when no one is there and I can sing along. It's not a pretty picture. re: What's in YOUR iPod?

"If you start from a place of joy and charm, you can get away with a lot in the second act. It may be that that's my life. I'm not sure." ~Roger Bart

Maryjoannejean Profile Photo
Maryjoannejean
#17re: What's in YOUR iPod?
Posted: 5/7/06 at 5:43pm

pictures of my kitties!!

Practically Perfect Profile Photo
Practically Perfect
#18re: What's in YOUR iPod?
Posted: 5/7/06 at 5:48pm

Hairspray and Rent are great for working out to, and I also listen to some Dirty Rotten Scoundrels numbers, and Rich Man's Frug, Something Better Than This and I'm A Brass Band from Sweet Charity. Strangers Like Me from Tarzan is good too!

Mary P x

i love idina Profile Photo
i love idina
#19re: What's in YOUR iPod?
Posted: 5/7/06 at 6:45pm

Hairspray, Rent and Wicked are all really fun to work out to, be carefull on the treadmill tho because sometimes if you lip-sync while you run you slip off re: What's in YOUR iPod?

respeck Profile Photo
respeck
#20re: What's in YOUR iPod?
Posted: 5/7/06 at 6:53pm

Dreamgirls is good to workout to.

YOU CAN SWEAT YOUR WAY TO THE TOP!!

RentBoy86
#21re: What's in YOUR iPod?
Posted: 5/7/06 at 6:57pm

Nothing. I wish I had an IPOD.

MissElphie Profile Photo
MissElphie
#22re: What's in YOUR iPod?
Posted: 5/7/06 at 7:05pm

Right now:

Avenue Q
BARE Sampler
RENT movie and OBC
Wicked OBC
Bright Lights, Big City
Lippa's The Wild Party
Dirty Rotten Scoundrals
Spamalot
The Woman in White
See What I Wanna See

As well as a lot of non-musical stuff.

JustABroadwaybaby2
#23re: What's in YOUR iPod?
Posted: 5/7/06 at 7:30pm

I have all the songs from Avenue Q's "Mix tape!"
Cast Albums I have:
Some OBC Pajama Game stuff
Hair.
Oliver.
Fiddler.
The Producers.
Hello, Dolly!
How to Succeed in Buisness Without Really Trying.
New Pajama Game (of course)
Rent obc and Movie (Out Tonight and Glory from movie are so good to run to!)
Wicked.
Spelling Bee.
Oklahoma!
A few songs from Les Miserables.
I know, I know. I am not a well-rounded theatre person.
But I do have every song from the PBS special Broadway:The Golden age, which has classic songs from things like Showboat, 42nd street, South Pacific, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, that sort of stuff. But I don't HAVE an iPod. I have an MP3 player.

"I'm thinking about how if you took the W in answer, and the H in ghost, and the extra A in aardvark, and the T in listen, you could keep saying WHAT but no one would ever hear you because the whole word would be silent." Please support BC/EFA at goodsearch.com! Search for anything, and your charity will get a cent!
Updated On: 5/10/06 at 07:30 PM

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#24re: What's in YOUR iPod?
Posted: 5/7/06 at 7:40pm

I don't work out to my iPod, but I have the following cast recordings on it:

Bare: A Pop Opera
Beauty And The Beast OBCR
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
The Last Five Years
Les Miserables CSR
Les Miserables 10 Anniversary
The Light In The Piazza
RENT OBCR
RENT OST
Sunset Boulevard American Highlights
Wicked

I also have a selection of songs from High School Musical, because I love that movie. I bet you could work out really well to Get'cha Head In The Game and Stick To The Status Quo. re: What's in YOUR iPod?

I tend to read a lot while listening to my iPod, and some books require me concentrating, which I can't do if I can hear and understand lyrics, so I also have a smattering of classical. Karl Jenkins's The Armed Man: A Mass For Peace, Carnival Of The Animals, some miscellaneous Saint-Saens and Tchaikovsky among others, aaand I have the Gladiator OST and the three Lord Of The Rings OSTs.

I <3 my iPod. His name is Javert. :3

Videos