pixeltracker

Why does everyone love WICKED?- Page 4

Why does everyone love WICKED?

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#75re: Why is WICKED so POPULAR?
Posted: 5/18/06 at 6:03am

I only wish I hadn't read the book before seeing the show. I was expecting something dark and ominous, with great lyrics and soaring melodies. I guess I've just never been a fan of Schwartz' work. But anything that gets people into the theatre has some merit. It certainly is providing a lot of employment in the industry.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

RENTingFAME Profile Photo
RENTingFAME
#76re: Why is WICKED so POPULAR?
Posted: 5/18/06 at 9:38am

I'm in the same boat, redhotinnyc. Considering the amazing material they were working with, I think Wicked could have been so much better. It's a perfect commercial show that will most likely run for a very long time, but it's not the book. It's something completely different. My favorite parts of Wicked are the costumes and the lighting, technical stuff, not the story or anything. *shrug* whatever. I saw it twice in Chicago and that's quite enough for me - $25 seats in the first row both times.

Measure your life in love, RENTheads, and keep it always in your heart.

Avatar: Me with Al Larson, Jonathan Larson's father.

#77re: Why is WICKED so POPULAR?
Posted: 5/18/06 at 9:51am

Go and see WICKED, if you must. Hopefully you'll grow out of it someday, although many people here seem to have trouble moving on re: Why is WICKED so POPULAR?

#78re: Why is WICKED so POPULAR?
Posted: 5/18/06 at 10:04am

Wicked is about acceptance, which is why so many pre-teens are obsessive about it. They most likely don't know it now, but they can relate to the character of Elphaba, because she isn't accepted.

In my opinion, it's a great show. Sure, there are better written scores and books, but it projects a good moral for younger kids.

Not to mention that the material itself draws in a huge crowd. The Wizard of Oz is a story that most of America grew up with, unless you were living underground. So of course, people are interested in how these characters that we know so well are going to look and act on stage.

I just think people need to stop whining. Wicked's here, it's popular, get over it. Constant bantering isn't going to get rid of it.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#79re: Why is WICKED so POPULAR?
Posted: 5/18/06 at 11:03am

As amazing as the book is, it is completely useless as a theatre piece, "as is." There is SO much narrative in it that things have to be cut, changed and rethought to make it work on stage (or in a film adaptation). They tried for a long time to do that, until Schwartz got involved, and Marc Platt said the early attempts to do a more faithful adaptation of the book were all disappointing failures. My guess is that it would play something like "Dune." Interesting characters in cool settings, spouting ENDLESS amounts of psychobabble, political theory and religious arguments. Oh, and somewhere along the way, we'd get a fragmented story about a witch who wanted to do good. It would bore the brains out of most people as they twitched in their seats.

I'm not saying Schwartz and Holzman did the ultimate adaptation of this story, but they were definitely on the right track by focusing and consolidating the story's time line, characters and major plot points. Whether they struck the right "tone" by bringing out a lot of humor and pumping up the "college/tweener" appeal of the story is debatable. It sure keeps most audiences involved and invested in the outcome though. If they were 38-year-old, isolated, cold women, as they are at the end of the book, I'm not sure we'd have the same interest in these ladies and their situations. Sad, but true.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 5/18/06 at 11:03 AM

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#80re: Why is WICKED so POPULAR?
Posted: 5/18/06 at 12:29pm

Agreed - it's terrible and useless.

My new favorite quote:

"If you like or seen Wicked it doesn't mean you know much about musical theatre or Broadway."

-Muscle

Do you get dimmer by the hour?

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

elphaba432 Profile Photo
elphaba432
#81re: Why is WICKED so POPULAR?
Posted: 5/18/06 at 4:27pm

People enjoy Wicked because the message in the story is not only important to women but to children.

Just because I got the lead doesn't mean you can't be my understudy!:)

WickedRentEder Profile Photo
WickedRentEder
#82re: Why is WICKED so POPULAR?
Posted: 5/18/06 at 4:33pm

<>

Wrong! I normally don't do to shows with flying anythings and couldn't care less if the score is pop, classical or what not, as long as it's GOOD! I've seen all types of musicals and Wicked to ME, is right up there with Sound of Music (which is my favorite ever). I find Wicked being so big it seems bigger than life at times, yet it has a simple and familiar plot(s).

It IS the 'popular' show at the moment, but it's an amazing show! If I had the money I would've seen it more than once. I felt no ounce of regret paying what I paid for it (and that's a lot to say)!

cturtle Profile Photo
cturtle
#83re: Why is WICKED so POPULAR?
Posted: 5/18/06 at 5:26pm

being a fan of WICKED has nothing to do with not growing out of it or not moving on. i'm not obsessed with the damn thing ...

... even if i DID plunk down 50 bucks at the oz dust boutique for the book WICKED: THE GRIMMERIE. but i just couldn't resist! ha re: Why is WICKED so POPULAR?

RIP glebby <3

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#84re: Why is WICKED so POPULAR?
Posted: 5/18/06 at 5:37pm

Oh, cturtle! You gotta check the discount Web sites. You paid too much in a moment of "passion" for your show.

re: Why is WICKED so POPULAR?

That's how they GET YA.

elphaba432---I'm neither female nor a child, so that's not the reason as far as I'm concerned. I'm glad it reached you on those levels, but there's more to it than that.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22