Curtains/Kander & Ebb

TicketMediaGuy
#0Curtains/Kander & Ebb
Posted: 6/1/06 at 11:14am

What's this I hear about a new Kander & Ebb musical? CURTAINS? Is it going to Broadway?

FranklinShepard-Inc.
#1re: Curtains/Kander & Ebb
Posted: 6/1/06 at 11:36am

I think it has a run somewhere else this summer, Philadelphia or L.A.

Well as far as the plot was revealed in a few articles it didn't sound like a helluva book. So I don't know if it has the guts for Broadway. The score will probably fine but it seems to me, Broadway has nowadays no place for old pro's scores. Unless they'd try writing a jukebox show re: Curtains/Kander & Ebb

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#2re: Curtains/Kander & Ebb
Posted: 6/1/06 at 11:41am

It had a hugely successful backer's audition some months ago in NYC. Most of the same cast (including stars Debra Monk and David Hyde-Pierce and supporting player Karen Ziemba) are taking it to the Ahmanson in LA this summer.

Roger Berlind is producing and has plans to bring it to Broadway.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#3re: Curtains/Kander & Ebb
Posted: 6/1/06 at 11:42am

It's being mounted in LA....And the tide could change on Broadway...Jersey Boys is a rare high point in jukebox musicals. The failures of Lennon, Good Vibrations, We Will Rock You (in Vegas), All Shook Up, Ring of Fire (and Hot Feet which isn't doing well) could mean that the love affair with jukebox musicals will end soon.

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#4re: Curtains/Kander & Ebb
Posted: 6/1/06 at 11:42am

ooh if Debra Monk is gonna be in it, it'll be good!

AndSoItBegins
#5re: Curtains/Kander & Ebb
Posted: 6/1/06 at 11:44am

CURTAINS, staring David Hyde Pierce will be doing it's pre-Broadway run this summer from July 25th - September 10th 2006 at the Center Theatre Group Ahmanson Theatre at the Music Center in L.A.

"Debra Monk, Edward Hibbert and Karen Ziemba would join announced star Pierce in the work. Production spokespersons could not confirm the casting of the trio of Broadway veterans Monk (Reckless, Chicago), Hibbert (Noises Off, Me and My ) and Ziemba (Contact, Steel Pier) — who appeared in an Oct. 31, 2005 reading."

From the website:
"CURTAINS is a backstage murder mystery and musical comedy set in the 1950’s Boston. After the leading lady’s mystifying curtain call demise, Frank Cioffi (David Hyde Pierce), homicide detective and musical theatre aficionado, is on the case! He’s got a tough job as the bodies pile up, the ensemble dwindles, and everyone is a suspect. And that second act needs work! Can Cioffi solve the murders and save the show before it reaches Broadway?

CURTAINS is both a classic whodunit and classic Kander and Ebb. Ahmanson audiences will be the first to see this brand new musical wonder before it heads off to New York for a Broadway run.

John Kander and Fred Ebb’s 40-year songwriting collaboration have produced distinctive, original, fantastical award-winning musicals for the stage including CABARET, ZORBA, CHICAGO, KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN, THE ACT, and for the screen FUNNY LADY and NEW YORK, NEW YORK, for which they created the classic title song. Rupert Holmes (book) is a multi Tony Award-winner for THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD."

http://www.taperahmanson.com/show.asp?id=313

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/99654.html

tabbynyc
#6re: Curtains/Kander & Ebb
Posted: 6/1/06 at 11:54am

I read that it was coming to Broadway after it's run in Los Angeles. It runs from July - Sept at the Ahmanson Theater in LA. Since it stars David Hyde Pierce, I'm sure it will be well received on Broadway, especially after the great job he did in "Spamalot". I am looking forward to it coming this winter.

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#7re: Curtains/Kander & Ebb
Posted: 6/1/06 at 11:57am

hell we need ANYTHING on Broadway that wasn't a movie first!

tabbynyc
#8re: Curtains/Kander & Ebb
Posted: 6/1/06 at 12:00pm

Does this mean Edward Hibbert is leaving "Drowsy Chaperone"?

sopranobiz Profile Photo
sopranobiz
#9re: Curtains/Kander & Ebb
Posted: 6/1/06 at 12:31pm

Jill Paice is slated to play David Hyde Pierce's love interest.

Jon
#10re: Curtains/Kander & Ebb
Posted: 6/1/06 at 2:31pm

Of course it should be mentioned that director Scott Ellis worked with David Hyde Pierce and Edward Hibbert on numerous episodes of "Frasier" (in addition to directing Monk and Ziemba in STEEL PIER.)

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#11re: Curtains/Kander & Ebb
Posted: 6/1/06 at 2:45pm

You had to bring up STEEL PIER?

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#12re: Curtains/Kander & Ebb
Posted: 6/1/06 at 2:46pm

The script is hilarious. It IS coming to Broadway this year after LA.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#13re: Curtains/Kander & Ebb
Posted: 6/1/06 at 2:47pm

I can't wait to see it. I hear Monk is just brilliant.

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#14re: Curtains/Kander & Ebb
Posted: 6/1/06 at 2:49pm

Monk is almost ALWAYS brilliant!

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#15re: Curtains/Kander & Ebb
Posted: 6/1/06 at 2:51pm

Take out that "almost" and you'll have it right. re: Curtains/Kander & Ebb

thevolleyballer
#16re: Curtains/Kander & Ebb
Posted: 6/1/06 at 3:46pm

I've got tickets to see it in Los Angeles for some time in July, August, and September. Three different parties have asked me to go, and so I accepted all three invitations. re: Curtains/Kander & Ebb I'll let you all know how it goes!

I hope this is another Drowsy-like experience for me. Ah, the joys of seeing a show way before it opens on Broadway, and being one of the first. re: Curtains/Kander & Ebb

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#17re: Curtains/Kander & Ebb
Posted: 6/1/06 at 3:50pm

I look forward to everyone's reviews/reports.

QMAN03 Profile Photo
QMAN03
#18re: Curtains/Kander & Ebb
Posted: 6/1/06 at 5:03pm

I already have tickets. Fifth row, dead center. I am pissing my pants just thinking about how awesome it's going to be (hopefully!!!!!!)

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#19re: Curtains/Kander & Ebb
Posted: 6/1/06 at 5:18pm

CURTAINS sounds like it has the potential to be a real hoot! I'm looking forward to seeing it.

thevolleyballer
#20re: Curtains/Kander & Ebb
Posted: 6/1/06 at 6:37pm

Qman, when are you going? What date?

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#21re: Curtains/Kander & Ebb
Posted: 6/1/06 at 7:35pm

Broadway NEEDS Kander and Ebb.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#22re: Curtains/Kander & Ebb
Posted: 6/7/06 at 4:59pm

Final Casting Announced

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#23re: Curtains/Kander & Ebb
Posted: 6/7/06 at 11:19pm

im going July 25th. Anyone else?

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#24re: Curtains/Kander & Ebb
Posted: 6/7/06 at 11:32pm

I'm going sometime in early August. I don't recall the exact date off hand.