News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Ny Trip...help!

Roger246 Profile Photo
Roger246
#0Ny Trip...help!
Posted: 6/27/06 at 9:38pm

I might be going to NY for my first time in November. Here are the possible shows I think I might want to see:

Les Miserables
A Color Purple
Sweeney Todd
Jersey Boys
Grey Gardens
A Chorus Line

I have a couple questions:
01) What shows should I definetly book orchestra seats for and which ones balcony would be fine for?
02) Will John Lloyd Young still be in Jersey Boys then?
03) same question for LaChanze
04) Any changes to which shows I was thinking of seeing? Any not worth it? Different ones?

Thanks for the help!

Ashleydanielle
#1re: Ny Trip...help!
Posted: 6/27/06 at 10:03pm

I loved Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. It was hilarious, although I know Norbert Leo Butz is living sometime this summer. It should still be great though. I laughed so hard throughout this show. The theatres in New York aren't huge so you won't be real far away. When I went I saw Dirty Rotten and saw a few rows back in the Mezzanine which was fine, good view. I think I would prefer front row mezzanine or a close orchestra in general for all the shows. I saw Wicked I think in row 5 orchestra. It was a fantastic seat. I wouldn't have wanted to have been closer because of things going on overhead. So in general either the first few rows of the orchestra or mezzanine are excellent!

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#2re: Ny Trip...help!
Posted: 6/27/06 at 10:08pm

When I sat in the Broadway Theater for La Boheme, I was in the back of the rear mezz, then moved forward to the front of the rear mezz. Either way, although the view was fine, I remember it being too far back. Maybe you should try getting orchestra seats for Color Purple.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

VonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
#3re: Ny Trip...help!
Posted: 6/27/06 at 10:08pm

Definitely see Grey Gardens, Sweeney Todd, and Jersey Boys. The Color Purple isn't fantastic... I'd recommend The Drowsy Chaperone or Spelling Bee instead.

As for seating... dunno too much about most of the shows you mentioned, but for Sweeney, close orchestra seats are the best.. the actors love to "play" with the audience [IE in the asylum scene, Donna Lynne Champlin will freak you out with those scissors...] and it's just that much more intense.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#4re: Ny Trip...help!
Posted: 6/27/06 at 10:11pm

LES MIZ is a MUST. A CHORUS LINE, too, really. I would also see DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS. Those three are incredible, very different and quite possibly three of the best Broadway musicals ever.

Balcony for LES MIZ. The Broadhurst is a tiny theatre and you want a full view of the stage for effect.

ACL and DRS are OK in the orceshtra, but get seats far back on the floor.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#5re: Ny Trip...help!
Posted: 6/27/06 at 10:12pm

Sweeney is a great choice! It is a very, very goood show. I'd say go for orchestra seats, isnce I've been told(never sat there, but I am in 11 days) thata it is a show that is much better close up.

Your othere choices also sound fantastic. However, if you are a Sondheim fan, you might want to check out the new revival of Company coming in the fall. It's directed by John Doyle in the samme style as Sweeney, and people who saw the show in Cincinnati said that the concept works better in Company than in Sweeney.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

#6re: Ny Trip...help!
Posted: 6/27/06 at 11:54pm

I was ROW O in the orchestra for DRS & I loved it.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#7re: Ny Trip...help!
Posted: 6/27/06 at 11:59pm

I sat in either the 8th, 9th, or 10th row for DRS, near the aisle on the right - great seats.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Roger246 Profile Photo
Roger246
#8re: Ny Trip...help!
Posted: 6/28/06 at 10:55am

Thanks for all the help!

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#9re: Ny Trip...help!
Posted: 6/28/06 at 11:04am

Do not sit in the rear mezz at The Color Purple. The Broadway Theater is way too big and those seats aren't even worth the reduced price. Any other show on your list is playing at a small enough theater that you will see everything just fine. Enjoy!

luvtheatre11
#10re: Ny Trip...help!
Posted: 6/28/06 at 11:43am

Definitely DRS and ACL. Les Miz, too. Drowsy Chap. and Wicked are fun, too. Sweeney Todd is good, but definitely sit closer to the stage if you can. DRS , we were in first Mezz, and had no trouble at all seeing or hearing anything. The theatre isn't very big. I thought Drowsy was fine from Orch stage left. I think we were row n and could see everything fine.

luvtheatre11
#11re: Ny Trip...help!
Posted: 6/28/06 at 11:43am

Definitely DRS and ACL. Les Miz, too. Drowsy Chap. and Wicked are fun, too. Sweeney Todd is good, but definitely sit closer to the stage if you can. DRS , we were in first Mezz, and had no trouble at all seeing or hearing anything. The theatre isn't very big. I thought Drowsy was fine from Orch stage left. I think we were row n and could see everything fine.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#12re: Ny Trip...help!
Posted: 6/28/06 at 11:50am

You should try to see The Wedding Singer.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#13re: Ny Trip...help!
Posted: 6/28/06 at 11:51am

I would also suggest not sitting to close for the Color Purple. I sat 4th row on the right and although I could see everything, It was just a bit to close. I would suggest sitting about 10 rows back so you can take everything in. And I think it is a wonderful show.

Just give the world Love.

Videos