pixeltracker

Tarzan 6/28 review, Kevin Massey as Tarzan

Tarzan 6/28 review, Kevin Massey as Tarzan

magic168
#0Tarzan 6/28 review, Kevin Massey as Tarzan
Posted: 7/2/06 at 4:14am

Preface: I am not a "regular theater go-er" I've seen Phantom, La Cage aux Folles, Sound of Music, and probably some others I've forgotten...all for high school classes in San Francisco. I don't ever remember being overwhelmed by any of those productions. I recently saw Lion King a few months ago (on Broadway) and was duly impressed. So I'm probably the right demographic Disney is marketing to -- the tourist theater go-er looking for a bit of a spectacle.

Tarzan:

I bought tickets months ago in anticipation of this trip with my family. It was a damned if I do, damned if I don't situation -- I had no idea if the show was good (it hadn't opened yet), but if I didn't buy, I wouldn't get good seats.

So after reading the reviews and all the comments made here, I didn't have high hopes for the show.

Strickland was out for the night and Kevin Massey was in. I was a little disappointed in that. But he had a great voice and actually looked a little more macho than Strickland (tho definitely not as tanned!)

The first few minutes were amazing. What an incredibly creative and beautiful presentation of the shipwreck/water scene. The panther was very well done. But the rest of Act I was a mess. The choreography of the gorilla dance (where it was supposed to show how young Tarzan couldn't "swing") was a long series of tumbles and jumping around...and it was just...messy. The story was slow.

And oh my goodness. Who green lighted that spider? Who? It was like a high school production. The head even hissed like a balloon deflating when it "died."

Act II was a LOT better. The story flowed better, although it never reaches the level of anything spectacular.

The sets were fine for me. The lighting was nicely done and some parts were pretty beautiful.

The songs were a mixed bag -- the ones from the movie were enjoyable (as I enjoyed them in the movie too) and for the most part, the new songs were inane. ("You don't play with children enough. I don't? You don't! I do! You don't! I don't." Oh my gosh.) The only songs I thought were pretty good was Terk's "Who better than me?" and Jane's "For the first time"

Everyone in the cast gave a great performance though, and I was pleasantly surprised by Kevin Massey.

Is it a great show? No. Is it a fun show? I think it is. Was it worth the money? My mom loved it, and that made it worth it for me.

curly120
#1re: Tarzan 6/28 review, Kevin Massey as Tarzan
Posted: 7/2/06 at 4:22am

I was there that night too. I've seen Josh Strickland as Tarzan twice, Joshua Kobak as Tarzan last Saturday night, and Kevin Massey as Tarzan on Wednesday night. Josh S. has been the best by far, but Kevin was still much better than Josh Kobak. I'm pretty sure that this week was the first time that both standbys went on, so with that in mind I think they did a good job. But Josh S. has a much stronger voice than the other two...

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#2re: Tarzan 6/28 review, Kevin Massey as Tarzan
Posted: 7/2/06 at 4:23am

Glad you had a great time, I agree with most of your review, though i was very impressed by Jenn Gambatese's vocals and Merle Dendridge was great. Try to see The Wedding Singer if you have a chance!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#3re: Tarzan 6/28 review, Kevin Massey as Tarzan
Posted: 7/2/06 at 4:31am

Why was Strickland out?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

magic168
#4re: Tarzan 6/28 review, Kevin Massey as Tarzan
Posted: 7/2/06 at 4:33am

I was sitting row A, left and it was pretty loud. Not sure if I could really tell the difference between voices at that sitting position, Strickland or Massey. re: Tarzan 6/28 review, Kevin Massey as Tarzan

As far as future shows, I think it'll be a pretty long time before I visit NY again. re: Tarzan 6/28 review, Kevin Massey as Tarzan

magic168
#5re: Tarzan 6/28 review, Kevin Massey as Tarzan
Posted: 7/2/06 at 4:39am

I have no idea why Strickland was out...how do you find out?

curly120
#6re: Tarzan 6/28 review, Kevin Massey as Tarzan
Posted: 7/2/06 at 5:02am

I was sitting behind the conductor, so I asked him since it's weird that he's been doing the matinees for those days and not doing the evening shows...the guy said he was tired...but who knows if that's actually the truth...

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#7re: Tarzan 6/28 review, Kevin Massey as Tarzan
Posted: 7/2/06 at 9:51am

Why do you feel the need to constantly plug The Wedding Singer?

lol :)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#8re: Tarzan 6/28 review, Kevin Massey as Tarzan
Posted: 7/2/06 at 10:40am

I'd like to see Chester Gregory as Tarzan.

Videos