pixeltracker

Scarlett Johansson/Sound of Music

Scarlett Johansson/Sound of Music

Funny Face Profile Photo
Funny Face
#0Scarlett Johansson/Sound of Music
Posted: 8/1/06 at 1:55am

I read today that Andrew Lloyd Webber shot down Scarlett Johansson's chance to play Maria in the London Revival of Sound of Music because of her and her people's "outrageous demands". I don't know if that's true (a rep of hers says it was due to scheduling conflicts not Hollywood demands), but I'm definitely leaning towards scheduling conflicts as the real reason. If you look at her IMDb page, you'll see thats he has seven film projects going on, which would rule out doing a substantial stint in a West End musical, unless he decided to drop everything.

Anyway, what are your thoughts? Personally, I think she's a pretty good actress, although very over-rated. She looks very much the part, to me. I'm just curious about her voice. Has anyone heard her sing? I just find it odd that everyone keeps rushing to these big name stars to do musicals, without even thinking about whether or not they can sing (Keira Knightley/My Fair Lady rumours anyone?), or maybe they truly can and I'm just pre-judging.

EDIT: woops, didn't mean for all that bold action
Updated On: 8/1/06 at 01:55 AM

OnMyWay Profile Photo
OnMyWay
#1re: Scarlett Johansson/Sound of Music
Posted: 8/1/06 at 2:07am

Hmmm...I haven't heard about this. Thanks, though. It's interesting. I seriously doubt that she can sing, but you never know.

"People that excel in the arts understand that the journey is the reward...the result an added bonus. Every day I act or train is a blessing and a dream come true. If Broadway beckons so be it. I have a personal definition of success that is unshakable by a possibly unobtainable goal." -HamletWasBipolar

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#2re: Scarlett Johansson/Sound of Music
Posted: 8/1/06 at 2:37am

She sang Summertime on the Unexpected Dreams: Songs From The Stars cd. If you look it up on Amazon you can probably hear a clip. I found it to be pleasant.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#3re: Scarlett Johansson/Sound of Music
Posted: 8/1/06 at 8:42am

She actually can sing...quite well too. She was filming a movie on my campus this past year, and her tent thing was right in the middle of campus, so all kinds of people (including me) were standing around watching, and trying to get autographs. She was singing in her tent while she was on break. I was surprised that a star of her quality who is able to sing hasn't been snatched up yet by some Broadway stunt casting people, or by some kind of movie musical.

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#4re: Scarlett Johansson/Sound of Music
Posted: 8/1/06 at 12:42pm

The quote I read from ALW was that she wasn't happy with the money 18,500/wk (I actually don't remember if that is dollars, pounds or euros) and she required two full time assistants backstage.

Their argument was why would she work for that when she can $10M a movie. The stage can't support that kind of salary. Obviously, Julia Roberts and others have thought the experience was worth the cut in pay!

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#5re: Scarlett Johansson/Sound of Music
Posted: 8/1/06 at 12:46pm

Thats not half of what Idina Menzel is getting paid and Johansson is a bona fide movie star. I don't blame her for being less than pleased with that offer...

littlewow
#6re: Scarlett Johansson/Sound of Music
Posted: 8/1/06 at 12:49pm

no matter how I look at it, I think she would be awful in the role.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#7re: Scarlett Johansson/Sound of Music
Posted: 8/1/06 at 12:51pm

I listened to a clip on iTunes, MrMidwest. She's not terrible, but this is certainly not the voice for Maria.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#8re: Scarlett Johansson/Sound of Music
Posted: 8/1/06 at 12:54pm

I agree. I can't find the original article, but if is pounds then it is about $35,000/wk. Nathan Lane and Mathew Brodrick both made over $40k, but the economics of London may be different than broadway and Scarlett may not be as big a draw there as here. In the same article ALW was not to high on the financial viability of the London theaters in the near future.

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#9re: Scarlett Johansson/Sound of Music
Posted: 8/1/06 at 1:01pm

It's possible that she's just singing in a certain manner for that particular song, emcee.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#10re: Scarlett Johansson/Sound of Music
Posted: 8/1/06 at 1:04pm

Possibly. I wonder if her voice is even high enough, though? I mean, her speaking voice is low, too.... though I don't know how much speaking voice dictates singing range, at all.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#11re: Scarlett Johansson/Sound of Music
Posted: 8/1/06 at 1:10pm

The keys are lower in the musical than they are in the movie, aren't they?

Funny Face Profile Photo
Funny Face
#12re: Scarlett Johansson/Sound of Music
Posted: 8/1/06 at 1:12pm

I kind of agree with her though. If it became a smash, it would largely be because of her, and therefore she's right in wanting to get a pretty good share.
I just don't think it's a good idea for her right now, anyway. She is a very in-demand actress, and has filming projects coming out of her ears. If this was something she really wanted to do, it would have to be #1 on her priority list, and right now movies seem to be whats he's most worried about, and she doesn't have time for a "passion" project.

Michael Bennett
#13re: Scarlett Johansson/Sound of Music
Posted: 8/1/06 at 1:38pm

The good news, is that the offer seems to indicate that Scarlett Johansson has musical talent and an interest in musical theatre. Perhaps Broadway is somewhere in her future, and her name would probably fill seats.

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#14re: Scarlett Johansson/Sound of Music
Posted: 8/1/06 at 1:44pm

ALW is far better off, going with this yet to be discovered Maria, on the reality television show, in the UK. He gets about a billion times more publicity, and many more people will want to see the show, once they vote for the Maria. Johansson doesn't have the drawing power of a reality television show.

Michael Bennett
#15re: Scarlett Johansson/Sound of Music
Posted: 8/1/06 at 1:52pm

I don't know that that is true. There was a hit BBC reality show last season called THE PLAYS THE THING where an unknown playwright had a script selected for production in the West End. Business was non existant. There has also been some talk that the winner of the "reality show" may only be a "part time" Maria and that some other West End name will do the remainder of the performances.

Scarlett Johanson is pretty hot at the moment. I think she would have filled more seats than an unknown or even a proven West End star like Ruthie Henshall or Maria Friedman.

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#16re: Scarlett Johansson/Sound of Music
Posted: 8/1/06 at 1:59pm

THE SOUND OF MUSIC doesn't usually have issues filling seats, no matter who's in it. I still say that somebody who the public watched and got to know and voted for, will draw more of those who wouldn't have otherwise gone, and those that would have gone will go, regardless. Does anyone actually go see a film because Scarlett Johansson's in it? But, we'll have to wait and see.
Updated On: 8/1/06 at 01:59 PM

Michael Bennett
#17re: Scarlett Johansson/Sound of Music
Posted: 8/1/06 at 2:03pm

Well, the last Broadway revival of THE SOUND OF MUSIC didn't have names and did not turn a profit, so having a gimmick of some kind is probably a good idea for this new production in London.

lifeisacabaret
#18re: Scarlett Johansson/Sound of Music
Posted: 8/1/06 at 2:14pm

Michael Bennett, it was Channel 4, not the BBC, and it has only just closed (on Saturday)- hardly last season. Average houses were 50% with weekends performing better. I saw the show, and it was bizarre to say the least, but I would have gladly seen it again, for the excellent performances (Maxine Peak was STUNNING) and the excellent set/technical design (interesting use of video and flown set).

The project was a Sonia Friedman (VERY successful producer on Broadway and in the West End) and Channel 4 co-production.

Michael Bennett
#19re: Scarlett Johansson/Sound of Music
Posted: 8/1/06 at 2:20pm

I meant the reality show was last season. That's generally how Americans refer to series that have already ended their run.

I saw the play in London last month and enjoyed it. It had lots of flaws but the scene work was strong and the piece had lots of promise, I agree.

My point is - that a reality show doesn't necessarily fill seats in a legitimate theatre.

Updated On: 8/1/06 at 02:20 PM

lifeisacabaret
#20re: Scarlett Johansson/Sound of Music
Posted: 8/1/06 at 2:30pm

Ah, the word series is rarely used (if ever) in that context over here. Never in theatre either, whereas someone might say 'last season on broadway', i have never heard anyone say 'last season in the west end'.

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#21re: Scarlett Johansson/Sound of Music
Posted: 8/1/06 at 2:37pm

"That is not the voice of Maria?"

Have you ever listened to the OBCR of The Sound of Music? Mary Martin may have been beloved, but she was no great shakes as a singer. Sort of Gwen Verdon without the vocal twitches. That, coupled with the fact that she was 47 when she was supposed to be playing a woman of, what, 23? Scarlett IS close to 23. Hers really is closer to "The Voice of Maria."

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699
Updated On: 8/1/06 at 02:37 PM

Videos