Buying tickets on Craigslist

BroadwayJunkie Profile Photo
BroadwayJunkie
#0Buying tickets on Craigslist
Posted: 8/4/06 at 2:01pm

Has anyone done this? I'm going to be in NYC next weekend and I really wanna see Wicked. I placed an ad on Craigslist asking for one ticket, that I'd be willing to pay $80. I quickly got an email from a guy, "I have 1 that I don't need because of a change in schedule. I'll will sell if, you are willing to pay $80. It is located in Orchestra Section, Row Y, Seat 2 at the Gershwin . Where are you located? pls let me know if you still need it."

Anyway, I emailed him back saying that I *might* be interested and that I'd get back to him in a couple of days. I also explained that I don't live in the city so I would need to meet him the "day of" in front of the Gershwin.

Is $80 a fair price for this seat? I wish it wasn't so far back. I've been in the Gershwin before (isn't that where Oklahoma played a few years ago?) and it's so big. My main concern is I'd relaly like to see this show, but it's sold out and I don't want to get scammed.

30/90 Playout
#1re: Buying tickets on Craigslist
Posted: 8/4/06 at 2:07pm

Well, you would wind up paying him when you picked it up so it would be harder to get scammed.

#2re: Buying tickets on Craigslist
Posted: 8/4/06 at 2:47pm

...unless the ticket was counterfeit

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#3re: Buying tickets on Craigslist
Posted: 8/4/06 at 2:50pm

Check ticketmaster before you buy it from him, I wouldn't spend $ 80 on seeing Wicked, but it's probably true, since he responded to your ad. Also you can try the lottery!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-
Updated On: 8/4/06 at 02:50 PM

BroadwayJunkie
#4re: Buying tickets on Craigslist
Posted: 8/4/06 at 3:04pm

It's sold out, like I said. ;-( Also, tickets for the rear orchestra are $100-$110.

As far as being sold a counterfeit ticket, I wouldn't but it until I showed it to the person behind the ticket counter.

I can try to get a ticket through the daily lottery they have, but chances of winning that are so slim!

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#5re: Buying tickets on Craigslist
Posted: 8/4/06 at 3:06pm

The tix for $55 don't sell out usually...try those on ticketmaster.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

missyrose87
#6re: Buying tickets on Craigslist
Posted: 8/4/06 at 5:01pm

He might not be able to meet you in front of the theatre before the show if he had a change of plans... If he can't make it to the show for whatever reason, how could he meet you in front of the theatre of the show he couldn't make it to in the first place?

BroadwayJunkie
#7re: Buying tickets on Craigslist
Posted: 8/4/06 at 5:17pm

Well, if he can't meet me *sometime* that day, then I won't buy the ticket-it's that simple. I'm not coming into the city ahead of time just to buy the ticket in person, and I won't pay him for it via mail. I live 3 1/2 hours away.

COOOOLkid
#8re: Buying tickets on Craigslist
Posted: 8/4/06 at 5:46pm

Why don't you try Sweeney rush? re: Buying tickets on Craigslist

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

SCBWannabe Profile Photo
SCBWannabe
#9re: Buying tickets on Craigslist
Posted: 8/4/06 at 5:51pm

I bought tickets for Tarzan from someone on Craigslist. They even happened to be e-tickets and I didn't have a problem.

Anna_Elizabeth Profile Photo
Anna_Elizabeth
#10re: Buying tickets on Craigslist
Posted: 8/4/06 at 6:44pm

If it helps, I've sold and bought tickets on Craigslist before with no problems, but it also helps to be flexible. All my transactions were in person though.

Videos