Brigadoon Audition help

renthead92 Profile Photo
renthead92
#0Brigadoon Audition help
Posted: 8/18/06 at 12:46pm

Hey
I posted this on the Student Board, but nobody's replying. So, last night I learned that our Fall Musical this year is Brigadoon. I'm going for the part of Tommy. Now, I'm thinking about doing singing "Out There" from Hunchback of Notre Dame. Is that a good song for this role? Anybody have any monolouges? Thanks

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#1re: Brigadoon Audition help
Posted: 8/18/06 at 12:51pm

I would sing something more "classic" - nothing pop.

Look at "The World Around Us," "A New Town is a Blue Town," or "Hey There" from THE PAJAMA GAME - or other things of that nature.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#2re: Brigadoon Audition help
Posted: 8/18/06 at 12:53pm

Anything Rodgers and Hammerstein would also be appropriate. But yes, definitely no pop. BRIGADOON is one of the most lyrical musicals ever written.

renthead92 Profile Photo
renthead92
#3re: Brigadoon Audition help
Posted: 8/18/06 at 12:55pm

Ok, thanks. Does anybody know what Tommy's highest note is?

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#4re: Brigadoon Audition help
Posted: 8/18/06 at 12:57pm

It's nothing higher than a G. In fact, his highest note might be a G-flat. Updated On: 8/18/06 at 12:57 PM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#5re: Brigadoon Audition help
Posted: 8/18/06 at 1:09pm

Yeah, I think it's an F or F# (aka, G-flat) for Tommy. It's been a while, for me, admittedly.

But his highest notes are at the end of the opening verse for "Almost Like Being In Love," and the final notes in "There But For You Go I."

It's not as high as Charlie, who sings a whole mess of high Gs in Bonnie Jean and Come To Me, Bend To Me. You really need to be an "Irish Tenor" for those songs.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 8/18/06 at 01:09 PM

renthead92 Profile Photo
renthead92
#6re: Brigadoon Audition help
Posted: 8/18/06 at 1:39pm

Ok, thanks. Anybody have any monolouge ideas? It can only be a minute long. Thanks!

elmore3003
#7re: Brigadoon Audition help
Posted: 8/18/06 at 3:54pm

CAMELOT, King Arthur, end of Act One.

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#8re: Brigadoon Audition help
Posted: 8/18/06 at 6:55pm

Be prepared to sing up to F-sharps in ALMOST LIKE BEING IN LOVE, when Fiona and Tommy are singing together the final section of that song, and, depending on what score your production will use, you will have to sing up to either an E or F-sharp for THERE BUT FOR YOU GO I. For some reason, the score that was used in the London production has a key change for the final verse of THERE BUT FOR YOU GO I that raised the melody one full step thereby requiring Tommy to sing up to an F-sharp, whereas there was no key change in the Broadway production and Tommy sang an E. If you can, try to listen to the Angel CD with Rebecca Luker, Brent Barrett and Judy Kaye if you're unfamiliar with the terrific score. This version uses the Broadway score. GOOD LUCK! BRIGADOON is one of my favorites.

rKrispyt Profile Photo
rKrispyt
#9re: Brigadoon Audition help
Posted: 8/18/06 at 7:20pm

I'm choreographing this for a high school in the spring and someone passed this site along to me: it has tons of info on dancing requirements, vocal range, character descriptions, etc. for each of the characters

http://www.stageagent.com/cb/info.pl?title=Brigadoon

If I show you the darkness I hold inside, will you bring me to light?
Updated On: 8/18/06 at 07:20 PM

renthead92 Profile Photo
renthead92
#10re: Brigadoon Audition help
Posted: 8/19/06 at 9:12am

Ok, A friend of mine suggested doing "If I loved I You" from Carousel. Would this be a good choice?

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#11re: Brigadoon Audition help
Posted: 8/19/06 at 9:44am

If you sing it well, yes. I mentioned this in another thread, I know more people who have been cast in Broadway shows singing that song than any other.