Billy Elliot on Broadway

stageishome
#0Billy Elliot on Broadway
Posted: 8/19/06 at 10:21pm

Does anyone have any information about the production of Billy Elliot that is supposed to begin on Broadway sometime in 2007? Is it an official go? Timeframe? Etc... Thanks!

gavrochegirl
#1re: Billy Elliot on Broadway
Posted: 8/19/06 at 10:22pm

I've heard it's being put on hold indefinitely...

What the puck?!

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#2re: Billy Elliot on Broadway
Posted: 8/19/06 at 10:22pm

currently, there are plans for the show to go to Toronto first, next season... i believe

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

JamesMacon Profile Photo
JamesMacon
#3re: Billy Elliot on Broadway
Posted: 8/19/06 at 10:32pm

I heard something about the 2007-2008 season...

It would be amazing if it came!

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#4re: Billy Elliot on Broadway
Posted: 8/19/06 at 11:19pm

It was goin to Toronto first, but apparently its on hold according to the casting directors.

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#5re: Billy Elliot on Broadway
Posted: 8/19/06 at 11:30pm

I thought I would hate this show then I bought the cd and fell in love with it!

"Passion can drive you crazy but is there any other way to live"

sadiem100 Profile Photo
sadiem100
#6re: Billy Elliot on Broadway
Posted: 8/20/06 at 1:27am

This is an excellent show- saw it in London a few months ago. It would be awesome if it came to Broadway!

"Electricity sparks inside of me... and I'm free, I'm free."

Jesus
#7re: Billy Elliot on Broadway
Posted: 8/20/06 at 2:19am

What with the current state of things in Toronto, mostly thanks to the Lord of the Rings fiasco, Billy Elliot is likely to go to Chicago instead. However I believe that all plans, right now, are on hold as the Mirvishs attempt to salvage their industry with some higher offers on Elliot.

beuk-et-moi
#8re: Billy Elliot on Broadway
Posted: 8/20/06 at 7:21am

It has to come to Broadway,it is the best production i saw in London last month, and i had an Americain boy playing Billy so perhaps that is a sign.

As much people around the globe need to see this. period.

Hawker
#9re: Billy Elliot on Broadway
Posted: 8/20/06 at 8:50am

There have been only two show CD's I've bought that have been collecting dust: "Mack and Mabel" and "Billy Elliot".

I had extraordinarily high hopes for the show after seeing the film but from the beginning of this show with the staging borrowed from "Evita"--a newsreel clip to launch the show--to the musicalization of "Dear Mommy" and Billy's gentile, sweet grandmother (in the film)morphing into an embittered old woman kvetching about her dead abusive husband I found the show misfired on all cylinders.

There are certainly enough BE fans to launch the thing in a big way but I wouldn't at al be surprised if American audiences and critics were not as ovationary as their British counterparts. As a matter of fact, one critic abroad after seeing Grandage's relaunch of "Guys and Dolls" suggested that if "Billy Elliot", by comparison, were the best the Brits could do, West End musical theater was in big trouble.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#10re: Billy Elliot on Broadway
Posted: 8/20/06 at 11:54am

random question:

What Billy sings on the cast recording?

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#11re: Billy Elliot on Broadway
Posted: 8/20/06 at 12:00pm

The American critics already loved BILLY ELLIOT, hawker - Ben Brantley in the New York Times said it was something like the best new musical of the past ten years.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#12re: Billy Elliot on Broadway
Posted: 8/20/06 at 12:11pm

I love Elton John- on Broadway and off. I adored the movie. I bought the CD and was VERY happy to find it wonderful, funny and uplifting re: Billy Elliot on Broadway I hope it does come to Broadway. When/if it does, it will be a hit, I feel it re: Billy Elliot on Broadway

After LESTAT, I'm sure Sir Elton wishes it well, too.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

JamesMacon Profile Photo
JamesMacon
#13re: Billy Elliot on Broadway
Posted: 8/20/06 at 12:21pm

Liam Mower sings on the cast recording.

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#14re: Billy Elliot on Broadway
Posted: 8/20/06 at 12:38pm

Billy Elliot is a VERY British musical and of course American critics wud think Guys & Dolls better cuz its American. But Guys & Dolls is nowhere as gd as Billy.
Billy is certainly one of the best musicals produced in the last few years. And it's got alot of heart and suits everyone. Im not sure whether it appeals to the Americans but I heard some American audiences who absolutely loved it. Direction was clever, set simple, amazing choreography, stunning lighting, spectucular performances from cast (esp the kids), what more do you want?
Hawky, what musicals do you like? And Doyle's M&M was one of the most touching/clever shows I've seen... loved it more than Sweeney actually.

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

Hawker
#15re: Billy Elliot on Broadway
Posted: 8/20/06 at 12:56pm

"The American critics already loved it".

That's not ENTIRELY true. As a matter of fact the New Yorker's review was scathing and it's particularly difficult to find many reviews from this side of the Atlantic.

One reviewer voiced similar concerns to my own:

"Could a show so rooted in a particular region that it requires a dictionary page in the program ever play New York? It’ll take a rewrite, certainly, but much of the material seems strong enough to survive the transplant."

And, as I said, John Lahr, who is not Ben Brantley's spear carrier was unusually brutal in his lack of affection for the show. This quote is from an article discussing American ambivalence concerning the musical:

"It has been hailed as the best musical ever, and had British critics raving over the 'exhilarating' and 'terrific' performances.

But Billy Elliot the Musical has failed to make such a positive impact on the other side of the Atlantic. The New Yorker magazine has launched a scathing attack on the Elton John show, describing it as 'mawkish', 'repetitive' and 'camp'.

The verdict of John Lahr, the senior theatre critic for New York's most influential magazine, could damage the musical's chances of a transfer to Broadway.

In a two-page denunciation of the show, Lahr, who has written 17 books on theatre, dismisses Billy Elliot as being riddled with 'narrative vulgarities', 'thematic bankruptcy' and general 'sloppiness'."

It wasn't long ago that "Jerry Springer the Opera" took down every conceivable award in its category among UK theater critics and in a country where "The Lion King" could still be playing to packed houses while "Ragtime" languishes as road show, I would suggest that the jury is still out on this one.

Hawker
#16re: Billy Elliot on Broadway
Posted: 8/20/06 at 1:15pm

"Hawky, what musicals do you like?"

"Carousel", "West Side Story", "Ragtime", more recently "Jersey Boys", "Contact", "Crazy for You", "Les Miserables", "Sunday in the Park"... .

I much prefer drama: "Amadaeus", Lincoln Center's 50th Anniversary production of "Our Town", "Take me Out", "Don Carlos", "Mary Stuart", "Breaking the Code"..., "GlenGary GlenRoss"..."Metamorphoses".

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#17re: Billy Elliot on Broadway
Posted: 8/20/06 at 1:24pm

Good points, Hawker, but John Lahr honestly isn't influential enough a critic to keep a show from transfering or to insure a transfer. ELLIOT is definitely coming to New York. Last I heard it was not going to play Toronto, but was planning on coming straight to Broadway.

No musical is universally loved. But a musical as well crafted, directed, and choreographed should do just fine overall with New York critics.

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#18re: Billy Elliot on Broadway
Posted: 8/20/06 at 1:57pm

I enjoyed the show live but, Elton John's score is EASILY the weakest link in the entire musical. What really catapults this show is the GREAT cast and excellent direction by Mr Daldry.

Even so, the show isn't really "the best musical ever" or anything like that and I'm sort of shocked that anyone would suggest that. It's entertaining, has heart etc but the best musical? or even the best NEW musical? Please. That's quite an accolade.

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

MargoChanning
#19re: Billy Elliot on Broadway
Posted: 8/20/06 at 2:50pm

Lahr has zero power or influence in the NY theatre scene and has become something of a joke in many circles in the last several years with his reviews that are nothing more than rambling facile synopses of plot (that often give away the ending of the play being reviewed) filled with quote after quote of the text and have little in the way of critical analysis. He's grown very lazy over the years and is a prime example of someone who burnt out on his job a decade ago, but is retained simply because of name and reputation. It's quite telling that the editors of the New Yorker are relying more and more on Hilton Als to review major New York theatre openings rather than Lahr -- not sure if Lahr is being gradually pushed out or not, but most people have known for years that if you want to read a coherent, intelligent, incisive theatre review in the New Yorker, you read Als and not Lahr.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#20re: Billy Elliot on Broadway
Posted: 8/20/06 at 3:22pm

they should just hire you. Obviously.

TIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
#21re: Billy Elliot on Broadway
Posted: 8/20/06 at 4:55pm

[quote]Hawker: It wasn't long ago that "Jerry Springer the Opera" took down every conceivable award in its category among UK theater critics and in a country where "The Lion King" could still be playing to packed houses while "Ragtime" languishes as road show, I would suggest that the jury is still out on this one.[/quote]

I don't know how someone who professes to love theatre could dare to be so blatantly racist, not to mention downright rude and ill-informed! >:<

So what if you personally dislike Billy Elliott? Is it because it's too 'foreign' for you and you don't think US audiences have the capacity to be stretched? If so, I suggest you are projecting your own shortcomings onto other people. Is your ignorance of other countries a badge of honour for you or something? If you'd expressed your reservations about the show without resorting to cultural stereotyping I'd have given your reservations some consideration: as it is I think you're missing out by not being open to things outside your experience. Either way it's your loss! >:[

Seen some shows in my time....

Hawker
#22re: Billy Elliot on Broadway
Posted: 8/20/06 at 6:59pm

Re: "Good points"

I sincerely hope it's a blockbuster. It will bring a lot of young new kids to the theater (and make some other tickets easier to score.)

There just seems to be such a vast differance, however, between what Brits turn into legends on numerous occassions and what is received with a lesser ovationary regard that I take such stellar raves less seriously than I once did.

The early press on "Jerry Springer" was so ovationary that I felt certain it would make the crossing as a megahit and yet it is floundering now.

What gives?

Hawker
#23re: Billy Elliot on Broadway
Posted: 8/20/06 at 7:09pm

"I don't know how someone who professes to love theatre could dare to be so blatantly racist, not to mention downright rude and ill-informed! >:<"

I have little to add to that than your are either being deliberately obtuse or incapacitated. How does questioning the viability of a Billy Elliot transfer or suggesting that "Ragtime" was--in the purist sense of a book musical--far superior to "The Lion King?" imply racism, especially in light of the fact that "Ragtime" dealt seriously with issues of race and cultural assimilation.

You are seeing prejudice in a place where it does not exist just as Jimmy Swaggert saw decadence and lust in everything and everybody before he was found to be consorting with prostitutes.

I have been an advocate of citizens of other cultures and minoritites against accusations of everything from defamation to murder and I have found it almost infallibly reliable that when one human being trots out the race card, it is the accuser that has the problem and not the accused.

Updated On: 8/20/06 at 07:09 PM

mrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
#24re: Billy Elliot on Broadway
Posted: 8/20/06 at 7:13pm

Jerry Springer never transfered because of serious problems between the producers.

I cant recall the details...they will be on the net somewhere!

Also its not that great a musical. Nice in the National on a limited run but flopped in the commercial open ended West End production.

Billy is a completely different kettle of fish. Oh and as for British audiences turning things into "legends" that dont deserve to be.... come over and see the complete lack of standing ovations at most West End shows. It happens rarely and then you can usually find a tourist as the causere: Billy Elliot on Broadway

Heck we dont even applaud "stars" when the appear on stage.

Videos