pixeltracker

Can someone explain Patti LuPone?- Page 2

Can someone explain Patti LuPone?

lifeisacabaret
#25re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/22/06 at 8:47pm

I guess its an American thing partially. You guys go in for the whole 'hero-worship' thing, and buy-in to the idea that some people are beyond criticism.

It simply isnt that way over here. Over the pond crossed-wires i guess.
Updated On: 8/22/06 at 08:47 PM

aspiringactress Profile Photo
aspiringactress
#26re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/22/06 at 8:48pm

Regardless, some of your comments are a little ridiculous. 'Man in drag?' That should have nothing to do with 'getting' her.

"We don't value the lily less for not being made of flint and built to last. Life's bounty is in it's flow, later is too late. Where is the song when it's been sung, the dance when it's been danced? It's only we humans who want to own the future too." - Tom Stoppard, Shipwreck

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#27re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/22/06 at 8:49pm

Yes everyone is entitled to their opinion. I love that. I just think people should NOT spend their time starting threads about someone they do not care for and start one about a performer they enjoy.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

harris007 Profile Photo
harris007
#28re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?

she is truly amazing, and best thing about her, she does'nt pull the "medical issues" bs and miss weeks worth of shows, and correct me if i'm wrong but didnt she do like week of sweeny very sick?

Attend the tale of Bovine Boy His party threads we all enjoy But does he have Mad Cow Disease? He doesn't eat beef - but cows skating? - oh please!!! With cocoa!?! And lemonade!?! The heifer-mad poster of Broadway (World)

luvliza89 Profile Photo
luvliza89
#29re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?

Who doesn't like Patti?
Seriously that women's vocals are top notch. Sublime. Perfection. Call it what you will. Having always been a fan of her voice when I saw Sweeney Todd I was even more amazed. Her acting and singing talent is gigantic.

Can someone explain Patti LuPone? (by the way, where's the please?)
Yes, she's a f***king musical genius.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#30re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/22/06 at 8:51pm

Oh and to answer the question! How do you "get" Patti LuPone. Listen to her NEW ARGENTINA. f*cking brilliant.

lifeisacabaret
#31re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/22/06 at 8:51pm

Why? A negative opinion is as good a starting point for a discussion and dissection as a positive one.

And also, ok, "she has certain masculine facial features that sometimes become unusally apparrent". It really is the chinre: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#32re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/22/06 at 8:55pm

re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?

YEAH! She looks real masculine in those shots, mmhmm. *rolls eyes*

She is Italian and proud. She's a beautiful italian woman!

chealion313
#33re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/22/06 at 8:55pm

For me, it's the power of her voice. I first saw her in Evita more than 20 years ago and her voice and stage presence now is just as amazing as it was back then.

She gives me goosebumps every time I see her perform.

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#34re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/22/06 at 8:59pm

ljay, what is that top photo from? I recognize the one is "Baker's Wife," I think, and then I know the last one, but I can't place the first one.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#35re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/22/06 at 9:01pm

I think I was completely respectful in my opinion. I didn't start this thread to bash her. I just want to understand why so many people love her. To me she's just average. Then again, I haven't seen her in person.

#36re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/22/06 at 9:02pm

i'm happy to have this thread because it gives me another chance to publicly declare my love, admiration & devotion to Patti The LuPone!

Londonskyguy
#37re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/22/06 at 9:02pm

Its from Anything Goes

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#38re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/22/06 at 9:06pm

Elphaba3 used to have the same opinion of her, until I saw a clip of her perfroming "A New Argentina" from Evtia. It is hard to nail down what makes any performer great, but just seeing the energy that she puts out blows the mind.

Londonskyguy
#39re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/22/06 at 9:06pm

Elphaba See her in person and then perhaps you can form an enlightened opinion.

Londonskyguy
#40re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/22/06 at 9:25pm

Elphaba,, I didnt mean to be disrespectful either,, do forgive me.. Im just pointing out that to " understand" why someone likes something of someone,its a good idea to experience something first before forming an opinion. Often on these threads I read reviews which are then followed by the statement,, " but I didnt see the show",, or statements like " I love such and such,,,Im going to see it tomorrow for the first time",,makes no sense to me.
To answer your original question posed by your thread. I never had the opportunity to see her do Evita, but I was hooked on her at first hearing the original bway recording. The first time I saw her perform live was at a Celebration for the 75th anniversery of Shubert Alley. It was an invitation only thing one afternoon at the Shubert Theatre,, It was hosted by Berverly Sills and just about anyone who was anyone gave a little tribute to the Shuberts and many performed, yet it was an extremely casual event. Patti Lupone came out on stage very casually dressed , sweater, skirt, glasses.. and in one second threw her arms in the are and in that split second we saw her become Evita,, then after finishing singing Dont Cry For Me... on the turn of a dime she went into singing I get No Kick From Champagne from Anything Goes. and in that very quick moment she became another character.. It was all anyone could talk about at work for the next few days, It sounds corny but we all agreed that in that one moment we all witnessed true acting and singing talent.

#41re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/22/06 at 9:43pm

im actually working a on a project now to express my patti love!

stay tuned!

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#42re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/22/06 at 9:45pm

n69n - I can't WAIT to see your project re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#43re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/22/06 at 9:49pm

I get chills whenever I hear A New Agentina.

kgee30
#44re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/22/06 at 9:57pm

Good Lord, what needs to be explained here? Patti of course is a rock star, but if you don't like her, you don't like her. Why would an explanation change that? You could "explain" Wicked to me till the f***ing cows come home and I still wouldn't get it, much less like it.

Besides, we did this months ago: https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardname=bway&thread=884252
Updated On: 8/22/06 at 09:57 PM

ThenBlowOnIt1st Profile Photo
ThenBlowOnIt1st
#45re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/22/06 at 9:59pm

Dear god, I'm horrified.

Maybe not in the words Bobby used, but with the contemporary Broadway being as it is, her voice is NOT what people are used to, unfortunately. It reminds me of another singer I didn't like for a small period of time and then I hit myself on the head and was like "wait, THIS is real singing" and figured everything out. Patti LuPone wouldn't be so legendary if she didn't deserve it. The only reason there are arguments over it right now is because Broadway is starting to sound less and less like that and more and more like... *winces* pop, as sorry as I am to say. Sometimes I wonder what Broadway is coming to (especially when Avenue Q beat out Wicked for best musical, I mean, it's good, but MUSICAL means score and everything and I just don't hear as much genius in AQ as I do in Wicked...) and I'm afraid for it (or like when Patti didn't get that Tony). But then I see all of the people that love her, or love... Stephanie J. Block... or... *thinks* Carollee Carmello, maybe, and I feel a bit better. There's a place for pop and it shouldn't be Broadway, and it upsets me that the big people on Broadway are doing so much poppy stuff because they feel they need to appeal to the masses.

Anyway, Patti LuPone...
You need to see some sort of video of Sweeney, honey, because you're really not getting it.

"The audiences that inspire me are the ones that aren't asleep." - Patti LuPone. "I play it because it's sexy!" - Patti LuPone (on the TUBA). "We're not show-business people. We have a life." - Patti LuPone. "This is act two because I'm not done yet." - Patti LuPone.

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#46re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/22/06 at 10:01pm

Patti Lupone can sit and spit on me while reciting directions on how to make oat meal and she'd be perfection. don't mess with lupone or you'll get the horn HA no pun intended :)

matt schneider
#47re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/22/06 at 10:04pm

She is just plain amazing. I dont know if this is just showing how much she is adored, or weither how amazing she is, but during gypsey she got a standing avation after a song, not just for the bows.

The bushes of Tex were nervous recks because their son was dim, But look what happened to him~Dirrty Rotten Scoundrels~all about Ruprecht They say the thoughtful musicals dead on broadway~forbiden broadway : SVU~The crime scene Never say never, there's always one more person you can hit up~avenue Q.~the money song Life sucks, get a pacifyer~my own saying

matt schneider
#48re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/22/06 at 10:04pm

She is just plain amazing. I dont know if this is just showing how much she is adored, or weither how amazing she is, but during gypsey she got a standing avation after a song, not just for the bows.

The bushes of Tex were nervous recks because their son was dim, But look what happened to him~Dirrty Rotten Scoundrels~all about Ruprecht They say the thoughtful musicals dead on broadway~forbiden broadway : SVU~The crime scene Never say never, there's always one more person you can hit up~avenue Q.~the money song Life sucks, get a pacifyer~my own saying

gavrochegirl
#49re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/22/06 at 10:06pm

My God, you guys. If someone doesn't understand the appeal of Patti LuPone, it's not the end of the f*cking world. And maybe you should get to know a person better before you assume what their taste in music is like.

What the puck?!

Videos