pixeltracker

Can someone explain Patti LuPone?- Page 6

Can someone explain Patti LuPone?

mejusthavingfun Profile Photo
mejusthavingfun
#125re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/24/06 at 12:41pm

She's also not really famous. If anyone recognizes her it's from "Life Goes On."

camp_actor
#126re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/24/06 at 12:49pm

No, you're right, she's not really famous. I guess the majority of the general public is missing out. We've already established that fame doesn't really have anything to do with talent. Look at Paris Hilton.

mejusthavingfun
#127re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/24/06 at 12:50pm

I was just thinking when I posted to this how much Paris and Patti have in common. At least on this board.

#128re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/24/06 at 12:50pm

"hater"

camp_actor
#129re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/24/06 at 12:52pm

Their names both begin with P!

Prince Charles as well!

That is SO freaky!

mejusthavingfun
#130re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/24/06 at 12:55pm

They both have annoying voices, can't act, both "starred" lame television series, both think they are intelligent and dead “serious” about their craft (whatever that might be). Paris is A list though..Patti is barely E.

camp_actor
#131re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/24/06 at 12:58pm

And yet I'd still rather invite Patti to my birthday party. I'd get her to belt Happy Birthday to me, and then we could act out a scene from Yentl together.

Actually, that is such a good idea. So sending a letter to Patti to invite her to my 21st.

#132re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/24/06 at 1:09pm

gosh, you think meryl streep cant act, you think patti cant sing, who DO you think is capable?

camp_actor
#133re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/24/06 at 1:09pm

re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?

Patti says: Don't be hatin' on me B*****S!

mejusthavingfun
#134re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/24/06 at 2:17pm

hmm actresses? Sally Field, Jamie Lee Curtis, Cheno, Bjork, Lansbury, Oprah (see Beloved), Lisa Kudrow, Monroe, Hepburn, are some of my favs…

That pic is ****tieous btw.

pants2 Profile Photo
pants2
#135re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/24/06 at 2:50pm

bobbybubby, i'll explain sho bean. she has an amzing range of notes, and sounds in her voice, amazing riffs, and a stage presence exceeded by few in MUSICAL theatre today, especially with the expectations she had to live up to

Can, can I have it?

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#136re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 8/24/06 at 4:39pm

AGHH!!!!!!

Whew! I thought she was going to eat me.
Dang this huge screen.

bardolator
#137re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 9/6/06 at 1:47pm

"Maybe not in the words Bobby used, but with the contemporary Broadway being as it is, her voice is NOT what people are used to, unfortunately. It reminds me of another singer I didn't like for a small period of time and then I hit myself on the head and was like "wait, THIS is real singing"[...]But then I see all of the people that love her, or love... Stephanie J. Block... or... *thinks* Carollee Carmello, maybe, and I feel a bit better. There's a place for pop and it shouldn't be Broadway, and it upsets me that the big people on Broadway are doing so much poppy stuff because they feel they need to appeal to the masses."

THANK YOU. Steph's is one of the names that popped to mind when you said this; I really do think that the people who like her tend to like Patti, and vice versa (I'm not saying there's a 1 to 1 correspondence, just that there are some similarities).

"Anyway, Patti LuPone...
You need to see some sort of video of Sweeney, honey, because you're really not getting it."

YESSS. Ditto PASSION (I DID like her Fosca) or EVITA. "A New Argentina" and "Rainbow High" in particular give me chills every time. She truly inhabits every role she plays.

That said, I think we're going to have to accept that pop musicals are here to stay, and that they represent a new genre. Good news? Maybe the pop musicals will serve as a "gateway" that leads to the hardcore stuff! And, honestly...it's not the people who love Idina who bother me; that's a matter of taste. It's the people who say "Idina is great and Stephanie sux" or "Bernadette rocks; Patti is hideous"...OR "Newbie, you're an idiot because you only know WICKED."

Can we all at least agree that it's still better than reality TV? re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Updated On: 9/6/06 at 01:47 PM

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#138re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 9/6/06 at 2:17pm

I never used to like Patti until her turn in the recent revival of Sweeney. Now I can't get enough of this talented woman! Evita has rarely left my player at work in the past few weeks and I'm about to break out the OLC of Les Miz.

Patti LuPone, you are one tough broad. I think that's why I love you so much.

"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#139re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 9/6/06 at 2:33pm

Wow, now she REALLY polarizes us, doesn't she?

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#140re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 9/6/06 at 5:59pm

The first time I saw Patti perform was in Master Class and before she even spoke, she commanded the audience's attention. The woman has a presence unmatched by anyone I've ever seen onstage.

"No wonder television doesn’t want her."

Which has nothing to do with how well she performs on stage. Totally different world. Of course, it didn't stop Will and Grace from using her as a guest star.

"Like she studied in France or something."

Nope. That would be Julliard. Might want to check your hem. Your ignorance is showing.

"Paris is A list..."

Oh yes. And Anna Nicole Smith deserved an Emmy. Do you believe everything you see on MTV?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Katecab99 Profile Photo
Katecab99
#141re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 9/6/06 at 7:19pm

the pizza store story is the best thing i've ever heard.

and not only is she a fabulous diva, she makes me even prouder to be italian.

RiffIt Profile Photo
RiffIt
#142re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 9/6/06 at 7:21pm

It sounds like Leslie Kritzer is gonna try to make sense of it all!

colored by esteem Profile Photo
colored by esteem
#143re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 9/6/06 at 7:37pm

Patti LuPone was Madonna before there was Madonna.

Short, fierce, italian, sexual, gifted, glamourous BOMBSHELL.

(who could really really sing)

Updated On: 9/6/06 at 07:37 PM

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#144re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 9/6/06 at 7:38pm

The title of this thread makes me laugh.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

OtherDaryl Profile Photo
OtherDaryl
#145re: Can someone explain Patti LuPone?
Posted: 9/6/06 at 7:48pm

NOBODY can EXPLAIN her . . . she is a unique and fascinating performer. Her live album is one of my favorites ever.

The range she's shown from Working to The Woods to Anything Goes to Evita to Gypsy, Passion, Sunday in the Park with George, Sunset Boulevard and Sweeney Todd is astonishing. Not that I thought every performance definitive, but they were all more than creditable. And until just now I hadn't really realized just how long I've been watching her and how many times I've been lucky enough and at the right place at the right time to have seen her live.

She managed a long run on television playing a credible and loving character.

She's also memorable in an Academy Award winning Best Picture and gave a great performance (or was it two?) as Lady Bird Johnson in that TV movie or mini-series or whatever it was.

Okay, I didn't care for the Will & Grace episode.

She's just got the stuff, pure and simple. Well, maybe not ever simple.

"Love Life. Live." Michael Bennett