Posted: 9/7/06 at 2:05am

Except for my last post.

PEACE.

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#26re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 2:10am

oh ok. as long as i know.

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"

Wildcard
#27re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 2:18am

I must say that this is not how I expected Edna to look. That said, given what we've seen from the other photos of how the set and extras are, Edna Travolta fits in rather nicely. There's a certain sadness to his face like a plus size woman waiting to burst out and enjoy life. Then again, he's not really acting in this photo as it is just a paparazzi shot. Who would've thought the Fever-era Travolta would look like this years later. Can't wait to see the trailer for this movie. Wonder if we'll get a teaser with Dreamgirls.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#28re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 2:30am

I have to say that you are not doing the film any favors by posting these photos. Like someone who posted the costume fittings of the actors that immediately got bashed for being to this or not enough that. This photo of Travolta is obviously not a publicity shot. Who knows what is going on here? Is he on the way to the make-up trailer? Just coming off a scene and already half way out of make-up and costume? That ladder is not part of the set, I would venture to guess.
You are putting these up for people to make quick opinions of this film based on some sneaky photographer's blurry shot. And are starting the bad word of mouth because of them.

And your enthusiasm for this project, Mateo, is borderline stalker/psycho.

But that is just my opinion.

PEACE.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#29re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 2:48am

Anyone who can create a movie fan site that is getting the kind of hits Mateo's is getting isn't a psycho or a stalker, she's a frickin genius business woman.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#30re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 2:50am

Not if the people who are hitting it don't like what they see.

PEACE.

jsrocks
#31re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 2:55am

Eww! Travolta is so wrong for this role!! re: Edna Travolta!

"Michael's got a head like a Ping Pong Ball" -The Cast of Sweeney-

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#32re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 2:57am

Oh, I think most fans actually will themselves to like what they see when they are anticipating a project. Disappointment only comes with years of therapy and repeated viewings on HBO.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#33re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 3:47am

For me, Edna needs ironed-in creases from years scrubbing in the laundry. Here she looks like she's on Botox!

jsrocks
#34re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 4:06am

That's b/c Travolta's on Botox! re: Edna Travolta!

"Michael's got a head like a Ping Pong Ball" -The Cast of Sweeney-

Playbill9117 Profile Photo
Playbill9117
#35re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 6:33am

I really like Tracy's hair! It's kinda streaked as opposed to the entire layer of bleached hair from the Broadway Version (Which also works well) Nikki is definitely a true Tracy from the looks of it.

Travoltas wig...hmmm...anyway, he looks like a teacher that I work with. Very realistic, I think (that is, i hope) the picture was taken at a bad angle. I'm still so excited about the movie!!

bwayondabrain
#36re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 6:49am

thanks for the photos, mateo!
he looks...interesting, to say the least
:P

Marc Shaiman Profile Photo
Marc Shaiman
#37re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 6:56am

Ummm…have you all (all 5 or so of you) gone mad?

You’re assessing the look of a movie from paparazzi shots and/or candid pictures, taken off-camera and after the set is closed for the night?

And you are judging an actors performance from a candid shot where he is probably thinking "I better watch my step, I may trip over this electrical cord here!"??

Lighten up!

And Edna is always drab pre "the makeover", what are you even talking about??

I will tell you this...Travolta's recording sessions, dance rehearsals and wardrobe/camera tests have been some of the giddiest experiences of my life, you really should try to relax about all this! And his face is beautifully free of any Botox, and believe me, I have been around a LOT of Botox'd faces!

Anyway, I am once again saddened to realize how jaded and ready to criticize the anonymous Internet generation is. "When I was a kid", I would have just been so excited about some behind the scenes shots, and left it at that. We could all be in Iraq. Enjoy yourselves! Especially if you post on a music theatre message board, you might want to consider expressing positive thoughts about theatre and musicals and movies, particularly a film of a Broadway musical that is getting the loving care that "HAIRSPRAY" is getting!

Just a suggestion from an old fart who's been around.

re: Edna Travolta! Marc Shaiman

BroadwayRandy0711 Profile Photo
BroadwayRandy0711
#38re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 7:09am

Thanks Mateo, just what I was waiting for. Edna T. This still looks exciting and I can't wait to see him all dolled up.

BrookArtsCenter Profile Photo
BrookArtsCenter
#39re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 8:41am

You tell those young whippersnappers, Mr. S. And have fun on Sirius.

Gerry

-------------------- Brook Arts Center closed due to flooding from April 2007 Nor'easter. Watch www.brookarts.org for more info.

BSoBW2
#40re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 8:49am

I think that comment on how pensive he looks, or whatever, is ridiculous.

Maybe he's thinking "Damn burrito." Or maybe, just maybe, he's thinking "I hope no one takes a picture, I'm not at my most Edna-ness right now."

I agree with Sue, for once.

Hell, you can't judge anything from production photos even - speculation is fun, but c'mon...

On the other side, thanks for all the pics, mateo. But let us know when the Queen gets her crown. (aka when Latifah is all dolled up wishin' she never ate the sesame chicken dish from Hard Wok, Toronto.)

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#41re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 8:51am

As I have posted in each thread of this nature. You can't tell a lick until you see the film. Until then, you have no idea of how lighting, makeup, hollywood magic and so on will change any "snapshot" being randomly taken.

There's no context to many of these pictures. Maybe Travolta was walking to the makeup trailer. Maybe they were doing blocking and he's "done" yet. Maybe it's a weird angle or bad lighting. Who knows and who really cares...UNTIL... we see actual footage. Until then, everything is complete speculation and opinion based on what I would consider "weak" evidence :)

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#42re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 9:30am

UGH. Divine is tossing in his grave right now.
I love John Travolta and he might do a good job.
I hate when people only care about having a big name.
There is only one big diva right for that part.
Harvey! And if he didn't want to do it, Vilanch would do a great job.
Harvey is the Diva that puts the letter D in the name divine. Travolta looks out of his element.
I am sure Travolta will do a good job and I am excited for the film. I just wish Harvey was playing Edna.
I love him. He is a genius as Edna Turnblad.
I never understood why big names win over the true winners.
Just a thought.

Updated On: 9/7/06 at 09:30 AM

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#43re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 9:34am

Corine, did you just not read Marc's post or mine? You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but to say that Divine is tossing in his grave is rather silly. And as I said above, you can't judge whether or not Travolta is out of his element or any element based on a papparazzi picture completely out of context.

Perspective people.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#44re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 9:39am

I love Mr Shaiman.
I still wish Harvey was in this film.
I also wanted:
Kerry Butler
Brier
Chester
Matt Morrison
;-( Updated On: 9/7/06 at 09:39 AM

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#45re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 10:13am

Im just passionate about it.

I have a connection to Hairspray that covers many years... its a personal connection so I dont have to explain myself.

I really do enjoy hairspray and I made the blog first for me- and then for those fans who care to enter matt's hairspray world. They dont have to like it- but I have to tell you - I get 20 emails a day from people who enjoy the site and enjoy what I am doing and what they are hearing about the film. I am all about spreading a positive message. I would never wish for the demise of a film or of anthing really. I mean whats the point?

I dont think I can spoil the film for anyone, because no matter what i hear or search- I will nevr SEE the film before anyone. People choose for themselves whether to visit the site or not. I hope I am doing a service to the film. If I thought for a second I was turining people away... well then Id stop.

Im not going to know EVERYTHING about the film before its release... I mean i want to be excited, and shocked and wowed just like everyone else.

Im not sure if Marc was referring to me making assesments (but may be.) Maybe, its not right to prejudge anything whether you think its good or bad... I dont know. But I love Hairspray and I love Hairspray discussion.

I have many other interests and this is just one of them... so if you think what I do all day is it around praying to my hairspray shrine to beam me to Toronto well then you are sorely mistaken.

Im sorry guys-- may be I am doing disservice - but I dont think so.

-Matt

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"
Updated On: 9/7/06 at 10:13 AM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#46re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 10:16am

Yes, apparently we've all seen everything there is to see in this one snap shot.

Why bother even going to the movie theatre now? Or ever again.

You've already written your reviews!

...on movies that haven't even been made yet.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#47re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 10:25am

Love to you best12bars.

-Adam Shankman.

-E!'s "The Soup"

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#48re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 10:25am

Kerry Butler as???? (Velma or Prudy -- I mean she is 35)
Matthew as ?? ( Corny -- he's 28 )
Brier ?? -- 31

None of these people are highschool aged or even close. While you can pull off this age difference on stage, it's not going to work on film. It's nice to be tied to people who were with the stage production, but this is a MUCH different medium.

". . . POP . . ."
Updated On: 9/7/06 at 10:25 AM

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#49re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 10:29am

Hanna, they pulled it off with GREASE.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes