Plays

BSoBW2
#0Plays
Posted: 9/23/06 at 9:13pm

I thought this could be fun.

If everyone listed out plays that are very important to them, plays they enjoy, plays that have had a large impact on theatre, etc. for those of us who enjoy reading plays (old and new) and those who are always looking for scenes to do, etc.

Anyone care to start?

Yankeefan007
#1re: Plays
Posted: 9/23/06 at 9:15pm

I've been on the search for a heartstopping version of the "Stinkin Old Miser" sequence from Long Day's Journey. Of the versions I've seen, Larry Olivier came the closest. Didn't get to see Brian Dennehey's version, sadly. How was it?
Updated On: 9/23/06 at 09:15 PM

Coolkid123
#2re: Plays
Posted: 9/23/06 at 9:16pm

I really love the play The Miser

bwayondabrain
#3re: Plays
Posted: 9/23/06 at 9:16pm

DOUBT is a beautiful play- never saw it, but enjoyed reading it a lot
A RAISIN IN THE SUN- it is awesome, very human and real play

:)

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#4re: Plays
Posted: 9/23/06 at 9:18pm

A Raisin in the Sun
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Sondheim Geek Profile Photo
Sondheim Geek
#5re: Plays
Posted: 9/23/06 at 9:18pm

I saw Doubt last night Bwayondabrain, all I can say is... wow.... those last moments will never leave me.

I'm still hitting myself for never seeing Wit. Over and over and over and over and over and over...

SondheimGeek: Is it slightly pathetic that you guys get to be Jedi bitches, and I'm Bitchy the Hutt?
LizzieCurry: No, you're more memorable

bug_u_2day
#6re: Plays
Posted: 9/23/06 at 9:19pm

i like Cat on the Hot tin roof, i just like it for some odd reason, it is just wonderful to me

bwayondabrain
#7re: Plays
Posted: 9/23/06 at 9:20pm

sondheimgeek, that is really cool! i wanted to see this very badly- maybe i could catch it on tour :)

mabel Profile Photo
mabel
#8re: Plays
Posted: 9/23/06 at 9:31pm

Yankeefan, the entire cast of the recent revival of Long Day's Journey was absolutely riviting. Dennehy was wonderful as Tyrone, as he was in Death of a Salesman.

But when did New Hampshire become--Such a backward wasteland of seatbelt hating crazies?...I mean, only 40 people actually live there. The others are just visitors who come for the tax-free liquor and three inches of novelty coastline. John Hodgeman on The Daily Show (1-30-07)

Sondheim Geek Profile Photo
Sondheim Geek
#9re: Plays
Posted: 9/23/06 at 9:31pm

Anything Tennessee Williams has ever touched is pretty much brilliant… or Albee, or Beckett.

First night of the tour was last night, and it’s fantastic. Yes, the chemistry is a bit different than the original B’way production, but it’s just as good. That material paired with those performances is just breathtaking.

SondheimGeek: Is it slightly pathetic that you guys get to be Jedi bitches, and I'm Bitchy the Hutt?
LizzieCurry: No, you're more memorable

Julian2
#10re: Plays
Posted: 9/23/06 at 9:34pm

I know this is Shakespeare, but Much Ado About Nothing will always have a VERY special place in my heart. I was in an EXCELLENT production in high school with dedicated, talented preformers whom also hold a very special place in my heart. This is a show I doubt I will ever forget.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

Yankeefan007
#11re: Plays
Posted: 9/23/06 at 9:37pm

I'm also a huge fan of As You Like It. Brian Bedford, in the Shakespeare in the Park production, was excellent beyond words. It was an extremely underrated production, with terrific performances by Bedford, Lynn Collins, and the whole company.

gavrochegirl
#12re: Plays
Posted: 9/23/06 at 9:42pm

I enjoy these plays:

Lend Me A Tenor
The Pillowman
Run For Your Wife
The Foreigner
A Midsummer's Night Dream
Collateral Damage
Spider's Web
The Mousetrap
House/Garden
Rube!
Our Town

I'm seeing Doubt in a few weeks, so I'll see if I like that.

What the puck?!
Updated On: 9/23/06 at 09:42 PM

JLY's Jersey Gal Profile Photo
JLY's Jersey Gal
#13re: Plays
Posted: 9/23/06 at 10:01pm

The History Boys.

"Awww! Boo!"

gertiecummings Profile Photo
gertiecummings
#14re: Plays
Posted: 9/23/06 at 10:08pm

I love anything Tennessee Williams, especially Streetcar and Summer and Smoke.

Wit is wonderful. I wanna see the one with Emma Thompson.

It's not that well known, but if you ever get the chance to read The Gut Girls, do it. So good and has some great female monologues.

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#15re: Plays
Posted: 9/23/06 at 10:57pm

From the responses thus far, I gather we're talking straight plays? Good enough.

Top of the list, hands down: THE MADWOMAN OF CHAILLOT by Giraudoux. Almost anything by Giraudoux, actually, but in the original French, not those lame (and inaccurate) Maurice Valency translations.

HOTEL PARADISO by Feydeau. Well, again, almost anything by Feydeau because they're such wonders of construction. And just when you think it cant get any more bizarre, he sends it right over the top.

Anything by Aristophanes, but special mention to LYSISTRATA and THE BIRDS.

EDWARD II. No reason needed.

SKIN OF OUR TEETH. I would seriously *kill* to design that play.

HOSANNA by Michel Tremblay. Again, no reason needed -- it's just a wonderful play, period.

http://docandraider.com

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#16re: Plays
Posted: 9/23/06 at 11:03pm

"The Man Who Came To Dinner" by Kaufman and Hart
"A Streetcar Named Desire" by Tennessee Williams
"A Nervous Smile" by John Belluso
"Double Double" by Roger Rees
"Peter Pan" by J.M. Barrie
"The Lieutenant of Inishmore" by Odetts?
"The Heidi Chronicles" by Wendy Wasserstein
"Hamlet" by Shakespeare

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

queenbee2
#17re: Plays
Posted: 9/24/06 at 12:48am

The Crucible with Liam Neeson blew me away.
History Boys is incredible.
And I try to see every production of Hamlet I possibly can, no matter how insane the concept might be. I think it's a perfect play (although not immune to bad acting).

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#18re: Plays
Posted: 9/24/06 at 1:03am

The History Boys
The Real Thing
Jumpers
Not About Nightingales
Oedipus Rex / Antigone
Measure for Measure
Thom Pain
Richard 3

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

Theatreboy33 Profile Photo
Theatreboy33
#19re: Plays
Posted: 9/24/06 at 1:10am

My list goes something like this:

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Cloud 9
The Zoo Story
Amadeus (although i do believe the film is better)
Take Me Out
The Pillowman
Angels in America
Ludlam's "Camille"
Glengarry Glenross
The Glass Menagerie
The Misanthrope
Our Town
and of course, Shakespeare stands in a class by himself

BSoBW2
#20re: Plays
Posted: 9/24/06 at 1:19am

Thanks all! Keep 'emcoming!

I am trying to also compile a list of the plays I own hard copies of. People are always telling me plays I should read, that I would enjoy...so I figure I should see which I have (before I buy them) but I am also looking to expand my library.

And, CAPN - ""The Lieutenant of Inishmore" by Odetts? " You mean McDonagh?

roseaddams Profile Photo
roseaddams
#21re: Plays
Posted: 9/24/06 at 2:39am

I'm partial to the Kaufman and Hart comedies -- You Can't Take it With You and particularly The Man Who Came to Dinner.

"You mean what was the best picture of the year or what did they pick as the best picture of the year?" - California Suite
Updated On: 9/24/06 at 02:39 AM

EganFan2
#22re: Plays
Posted: 9/24/06 at 9:00am

"Amadeus". I prefer the movie where it's more fleshed out, but the play is excellent too.

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#23re: Plays
Posted: 9/24/06 at 9:07am

Our Town
Death Takes a Holiday
The Glass Menagerie
The Crucible
Jitney
The Beauty Queen of Leenane
Rabbit Hole
Beautiful Thing