pixeltracker

Emily Skinner is Miss Mona in 'Whorehouse'- Page 2

Emily Skinner is Miss Mona in 'Whorehouse'

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#25re: Emily Skinner is Miss Mona in 'Whorehouse'
Posted: 10/3/06 at 11:10am

I'm sure he will be. They are casting all the roles young - but I actually think that is okay, the more I think about it. Skinner really isn't "too young" when you get down to it as other posters have pointed out - She's just younger than our current conception of the role: but Fanny Flagg, Candace Tovar, Anita Morris and Carlin Glynn were all more or less Skinner's age when they played the role on Broadway.

broadwayalto01 Profile Photo
broadwayalto01
#26re: Emily Skinner is Miss Mona in 'Whorehouse'
Posted: 10/3/06 at 11:33am

Leave Emily Skinner alone. She works really hard. She is great and will be great. Sorry, this is a soft spot for me. Don't underestimate anyone, you could be suprised what they do in a role most people think they won't do well in...

Life is like a patio door, you never know which side is open... and then you run into the glass.... ~Connie and Carla

philcrosby
#27re: Emily Skinner is Miss Mona in 'Whorehouse'
Posted: 10/3/06 at 12:23pm

Emily will sing the hell out of it.

ruprecht Profile Photo
ruprecht
#28re: Emily Skinner is Miss Mona in 'Whorehouse'
Posted: 10/3/06 at 12:28pm

Emily skinner is not only NOT too young she looks much older than she is, so it's fine. I just think Seth is very hit or miss with casting these benefits. He's either spot on, or just off. Either way, this is far from how ridiculous it was to have the vocally challenged Tamara Tunie in Dreamgirls.

JailyardGuy Profile Photo
JailyardGuy
#29re: Emily Skinner is Miss Mona in 'Whorehouse'
Posted: 10/3/06 at 12:36pm

*big giant SQUEEEEE*

I will be there come hell or high water. I think this is brilliant, and Emily is going to TEAR IT UP.

*squeee again*

Suzanne: I never use catalogs. I'd rather go in the store and see all the salespeople groveling and sucking up to you. Julia: Pardon me, I never knew they were so solicitous at the K-Mart.

BreeDaniel Profile Photo
BreeDaniel
#30re: Emily Skinner is Miss Mona in 'Whorehouse'
Posted: 10/3/06 at 1:04pm

Skinner is not too young in age or looks.

CherylA928 Profile Photo
CherylA928
#31re: Emily Skinner is Miss Mona in 'Whorehouse'
Posted: 10/3/06 at 1:58pm

I think Emily Skinner will make a marvelous Miss Mona.
Now, if they could only get Marc Kudisch to play Sheriff Ed Earl.... what a hoot that would be!

It's never too late to live happily ever after!

Lady of the Talkies
#32re: Emily Skinner is Miss Mona in 'Whorehouse'
Posted: 10/5/06 at 5:50pm

BroadwayAlto- Why is it such a soft spot for you? Are you dating her? Are you her? Otherwise, I'm not sure I understand why you're so defensive...

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#33re: Emily Skinner is Miss Mona in 'Whorehouse'
Posted: 10/5/06 at 7:06pm

Emily is actually the same age Dolly was when she played Miss Mona in the movie version. Maybe she is not a "name," but I happen to think Ms. Skinner is very talented. Why all of this hatred for a very accomplished performer? As for Reba, I caught her in the "South Pacific" concert on PBS and was very disappointed. I think Emily will be great and I wish I could get to NYC to see her. It would be great if they would record this for those of us who can't make it to NYC.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#34re: Emily Skinner is Miss Mona in 'Whorehouse'
Posted: 10/5/06 at 7:13pm

Where do you see hate? We're talking about TYPE, not TALENT. Plenty of people could act/sing the hell out of the role, but you wouldn't cast them because they're physically wrong.

Maybe we'll eat our words. But I haven't seen any hate for Skinner on this thread.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

buffyactsing Profile Photo
buffyactsing
#35re: Emily Skinner is Miss Mona in 'Whorehouse'
Posted: 10/5/06 at 8:14pm

I wouldn't say she looks much older than she is at all. She looks in her 30s. Maybe it's just the conception we have in the media which makes us assume that people who aren't thin look older. I saw her in a workshop the summer before last where they were trying to pawn her off as Jenny Powers' Mother. Yeah, that didn't work.

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine

Musical Director
#36re: Emily Skinner is Miss Mona in 'Whorehouse'
Posted: 10/6/06 at 11:53am

Emily Skinner is really not the right choice for Miss Mona. I did this show for a year in Las Vegas and it is full of heart. I feel that Miss Skinner is too young,and does not have the star persona to pull it off. Vulnerability in very important in casting Miss Mona. It seems an odd choice anyway for a concert reading. Terrence Mann isn't right, either. The whole thing seems misguided to me...

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#37re: Emily Skinner is Miss Mona in 'Whorehouse'
Posted: 10/6/06 at 12:01pm

The point of these cocncerts is to make money for the The Actor's Fund and put on a good show.
Skinner and Mann are fine performers but they are not the kind of names that will bring out the big bucks.
Just my opinion.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#38re: Emily Skinner is Miss Mona in 'Whorehouse'
Posted: 10/6/06 at 12:07pm

This is great news. I'm thrilled that they didnt go with "event" casting, instead opting for talent over celebrity. After "South Pacific" I'd have been very disappointed if Reba was asked to do this. She cannot act, imo...and she is the opposite of sexy.

I think Emily is a great talent and am so happy she is getting this chance...she is perfect for this role. I dont get what the problem is with her not being a huge star. Neither was Carlyn Glynn.

I am a bit disappointed in Hudson as Jewel, but will not condemn the choice without seeing it...she deserves a chance, but the memory of Delores Hall will be tought to erase.

Lovin' McArdle as Doatsy Mae.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

ILUVTOMG Profile Photo
ILUVTOMG
#39re: Emily Skinner is Miss Mona in 'Whorehouse'
Posted: 10/6/06 at 2:07pm

the late casting announcement of both she and terrance mann kind of make you think they were holding out for names. frankly, i'd rather see skinner and mann than say reba and tony danza :) and don't these one night only BCEFA shows sell-out anyway? is a name really needed? since it's mostly theatre folk who are buying tix i would think most would be excited to see emily (i know i am). Updated On: 10/6/06 at 02:07 PM

LouieLovesTheater Profile Photo
LouieLovesTheater
#40re: Emily Skinner is Miss Mona in 'Whorehouse'
Posted: 10/6/06 at 5:43pm

I love me some Skinner...

And hey, look at it this way, to all of you who have gone to see a show she was in that she was usually out of (seems to me she has a bad attendance record)...now you have a 100% chance of seeing her!

Chrysanthemum62001
#41re: Emily Skinner is Miss Mona in 'Whorehouse'
Posted: 10/6/06 at 6:27pm

I'm not familiar with the show at all, but I Emily Skinner is my favorite female performer. Yay! re: Emily Skinner is Miss Mona in 'Whorehouse'

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#42re: Emily Skinner is Miss Mona in 'Whorehouse'
Posted: 10/6/06 at 7:03pm

"I love me some Skinner...

And hey, look at it this way, to all of you who have gone to see a show she was in that she was usually out of (seems to me she has a bad attendance record)...now you have a 100% chance of seeing her!"

You never have a 100% chance of seeing anyone.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson