pixeltracker

Mary Poppins review (including the set breakage)

Mary Poppins review (including the set breakage)

broadwayguy2
#0Mary Poppins review (including the set breakage)
Posted: 10/26/06 at 12:28am

Okay.. I just want to say that I am beyond dissapointed that teh show could not be completed after the set malfunctiona nd I will return ASAP to see this again.. and finished!!

I thought the cast was pitch perfect. No one stuck out as being miscast and I was SO happy to see Brian Letendre in a featured role as Nelius. Ashley Brown is divine in the role... I really like Gavin Lee, though stil wonder why they didn't just use Gavin Creel.. ah well.. hope to see him here agin soon!

The design of thsis how is breathtaking. And it is hard to TRULY impress me... I inspected the house rigging to see how the finale would be done.. I could see NOTHING. I saw NOTHING there. The house is stunning.. particularly the attic. WOW. Crowley is walking away with the scenic design of a musical award NO questions asked based on what was seen tonight....

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#1re: Mary Poppins review (including the set breakage)
Posted: 10/26/06 at 12:39am

I loved Brian in Urban Cowboy and Movin' Out. I didn't realize it was him until the set broke and I had a chance to read the Showbill on the E home. Looking at him and his movement, he seemed familiar, but I didn't know why. Good for him, he's very talented.

I do agree about Crowley walking away with the scenic design award. The set never disappointed, until it did and we had to go home. But it was breathtaking all around.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

neddyfrank2
#2re: Mary Poppins review (including the set breakage)
Posted: 10/26/06 at 12:41am

I inspected the house rigging to see how the finale would be done..

What? How do you know what the Finale is if they stopped the show?

broadwayguy2
#3re: Mary Poppins review (including the set breakage)
Posted: 10/26/06 at 12:46am

the show has been playing for two years.. it's not a secret. If you want to find out what happens, it's easy to know before you go. I knew. I looked. NOTHING there!

Pippie_Poppins
#4re: Mary Poppins review (including the set breakage)
Posted: 10/26/06 at 12:47am

I was there! I'm going back as soon as I can.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#5re: Mary Poppins review (including the set breakage)
Posted: 10/26/06 at 12:55am

I don't understand why they put Gavin Creel in London and brought Gavin Lee here. Perhaps to showcase the London talent here? I have a feeling Creel will take over in the US when Lee doesn't do it here anymore.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

broadwayguy2
#6re: Mary Poppins review (including the set breakage)
Posted: 10/26/06 at 12:58am

I suppose, but but since Gavin is s uch a talent, a Tony nominee, and known here among the ranks, I assume he would have been a better bet, but Disney decided to hedge on Lee's aclaim from London....... our treat AND out loss.. both.

Every set change, simple or comlex, had me gasping. The house was just... WOW.. the attic.. especially during Temper Temper...

Speaking of TEMPER, TEMPER, I didn't find the number scare or unsettling and no child I saw seemed to feel freightened! That fuss is much ado about nothing.

nomdeplume
#7re: Mary Poppins review (including the set breakage)
Posted: 10/26/06 at 1:12am

I thought Rebecca Luker stole the show without trying her soprano is so elegant and her acting is so well-nuanced.

Such a beauty! How lucky we are to have her onstage again! The joy of it.

I didn't think "Temper, Temper" was scary but that mean nanny who showed up sure was--wonderfully so! And she has a smashing voice as well!

broadwayguy2
#8re: Mary Poppins review (including the set breakage)
Posted: 10/26/06 at 1:13am

Only saw her do one scene, but the nanny, Miss Andrew, WAS far scarier than anything in Temper, Temper!

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#9re: Mary Poppins review (including the set breakage)
Posted: 10/26/06 at 1:14am

Luker does well in the role absolutely, but in my opinion the big duet is a masterclass is awkward lyrics, and it does her a disservice. That she rises above it is a credit to her talent.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

BroadwayRandy0711 Profile Photo
BroadwayRandy0711
#10re: Mary Poppins review (including the set breakage)
Posted: 10/26/06 at 1:22am

I saw the show on 10/18 and have to totally agree about the set, I thought that it was stunning. The cast is amazing.
"Temper,Temper" was not that scarry.

And everythingtaboo, I have to agree with you. I was expecting her to belt out, but no dice. She sounded like she wanted to as well.

The only problem that I had was with the little girl behind us being a commentator the entire evening. "That's not in the movie; Oh, this is where she flies!"

jess20882 Profile Photo
jess20882
#11re: Mary Poppins review (including the set breakage)
Posted: 10/27/06 at 12:02pm

question about the banks children...

are alexander scheitinger and kathryn faughnan the understudies and used as a last resort if neither of the scheduled kids can perform that night?

jakebloke Profile Photo
jakebloke
#12re: Mary Poppins review (including the set breakage)
Posted: 10/27/06 at 2:58pm

Definitely some of the most stunning scenic/set design I've seen on stage. No matter what you say about Disney, they have the $$ to put into great visuals.

I don't like the scenes with the bank. But I also hated those scenes in the movie. I didn't really care about the parents. There really isn't much of a plot, and I found myself looking forward to the next ensemble number (which I loved).

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#13re: Mary Poppins review (including the set breakage)
Posted: 10/27/06 at 3:59pm

I totally agree. Nanny Ms. Andrew scared me lol not "Temper Temper".

Yankeefan007
#14re: Mary Poppins review (including the set breakage)
Posted: 10/27/06 at 4:02pm

Jess - yes.

Did anyone else see the Disney in-joke in Ms. Andrew's costume?

jess20882 Profile Photo
jess20882
#15re: Mary Poppins review (including the set breakage)
Posted: 10/27/06 at 4:08pm

and what joke would that be?
i'm going to see the show tonight so i'll keep an eye out for it, and for any tricks of the eye that they incorporated into the sets...esp during 'temper temper' and mary poppins bag o'tricks in the beginning re: Mary Poppins review (including the set breakage)

jess20882 Profile Photo
jess20882
#16re: Mary Poppins review (including the set breakage)
Posted: 10/27/06 at 4:08pm

and what joke would that be?
i'm going to see the show tonight so i'll keep an eye out for it, and for any tricks of the eye that they incorporated into the sets...esp during 'temper temper' and mary poppins bag o'tricks in the beginning re: Mary Poppins review (including the set breakage)

Yankeefan007
#17re: Mary Poppins review (including the set breakage)
Posted: 10/27/06 at 4:26pm

Take a look at Ms. Andrew's costume (especially the hat she wears.) Which Disney villan does it look like?

I'll give you a multiple choice, PM me the answer.

a. Maleficent (Sleeping Beauty)
b. Ursula (The Little Mermaid)
c. Hades (Tarzan)
d. Jafar (Aladdin)

jess20882 Profile Photo
jess20882
#18re: Mary Poppins review (including the set breakage)
Posted: 10/28/06 at 4:46pm

did anyone see the show this afternoon? which kids performed as jane and michael?

Videos