pixeltracker

Les Miserables Review 11/4- Page 2

Les Miserables Review 11/4

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#25re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/5/06 at 3:39pm

people act as though Daphne was found in an alley and has never been on the stage before. You freaking go play the role if your so much better. the woman has 2 tony nominations. i am so sick of hearing how awful she is.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

theaterdude87
#26re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/5/06 at 3:39pm

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/
Updated On: 11/5/06 at 03:39 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#27re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/5/06 at 3:41pm

You freaking go play the role if your so much better.

I hate this reasoning. Just because I don't have a "DDS" suffix after my name doesn't mean I can't complain about my dentist.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

aspiringactress Profile Photo
aspiringactress
#28re: Les Miserables Review 11/4

That is a stupid argument, theatredude, it really is. People are allowed to criticize a performance without being performers.

It's saying shut up if you don't have the training to be a better politician than George Bush.

Welcome to America.

"We don't value the lily less for not being made of flint and built to last. Life's bounty is in it's flow, later is too late. Where is the song when it's been sung, the dance when it's been danced? It's only we humans who want to own the future too." - Tom Stoppard, Shipwreck

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#29re: Les Miserables Review 11/4

Thanks, Lizzie. That's what it feels like.

BSoBW2: That mini connection just doesn't feel like enough to me. The scene still feels too contrived and theatrical (not like many other parts...hehehe).

Thanks for your input, though! re: Les Miserables Review 11/4

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx

BSoBW2
#30re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/5/06 at 3:43pm

Well, I didn't write it.

:)

Yeah, it's just theatrical. Guess there has to be a happy, theatrical ending to the show.

#31re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/5/06 at 3:44pm

You freaking go play the role if your so much better.

That's the worst justification for not being able to speak one's mind that I've ever heard. So, I can't criticize anyone in theatre because I personally am not willing to go on stage and give the role of Fantine a try, even though I openly admit I'm not a singer? If people are paying money for a ticket, they have every right to criticize the performers on stage as they see fit, provided that they remain respectful. I don't condone posts along the lines of "she sucks, I couldn't wait until she died," which admittedly is in the vein of the original poster's post, but I cannot fathom how a post such as the one made by jakebloke is out of line. As any performer does, Daphne accepted the role knowing that people were going to give their opinions on it. The potential of receiving an overwhelmingly negative reaction is the chance one takes when accepts a role.
Updated On: 11/5/06 at 03:44 PM

gumbo2 Profile Photo
gumbo2
#32re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/5/06 at 3:50pm

Everyone has their opinions, there's no reason to shove them down anyone else's throat. A lot of people seem to dislike her performance, but not everyone. The beauty of actually seeing a show is to decide for yourself how you liked it, so let's not assume that one person is right and one person is wrong.

LizzieCurry
#33re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/5/06 at 3:53pm

shove them down anyone else's throat.

Help, I'm being attacked by the cliché monster!

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#34re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/5/06 at 3:56pm

"she sucks, I couldn't wait until she died,"

I think this is a very apropos way of describing how someone feels.
Fantine dies in the show and then doesn't sing solo again for a good 2 hours. If she is as bad as she is described I probably would be waiting for her to die too.
I don't think anyone was saying that they wanted Daphne herself to die.

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?
Updated On: 11/5/06 at 03:56 PM

#35re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/5/06 at 4:11pm

Neverandy, I just feel that there is probably a more eloquent, mature, and descriptive manner to express one's opinion than that. However, as I've said in a previous post, since people are apparently saying that they "couldn't wait until she died" during intermission, perhaps it's not so horrible to post it on here as well.

theaterdude87
#36re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/5/06 at 4:15pm

I have no problem with someone critcizing a performer. it just gets really tiring after a while hearing the same thing over and over again. no one really will care about my opinion, but there is a way to be critical and there is also a way to be out right rude to someones performace.

#37re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/5/06 at 4:17pm

it just gets really tiring after a while hearing the same thing over and over again.

Well, more than one person is going to see the show and give an opinion on it. I really don't know what to say - it's just the way these things called "message boards" work.

LizzieCurry
#38re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/5/06 at 4:27pm

it just gets really tiring after a while hearing the same thing over and over again.

All that clicking over and over again must get really tiring, too.

theaterdude87
#39re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/5/06 at 4:33pm

what?

alexg456
#40re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/5/06 at 4:37pm

for those who don't like daphne...
you're basing it solely on her voice. Belting beautifully DOES NOT equal GOOD ACTING. How about reading Daphne's interview... she did much research on the character of Fantine. Fantine gave up everything for her child and went through so much. She shouldn't be sounding beautiful at all. She freakin dies. She's a broken soul.

So, by that rationale, since most people on stage die at the end, they should NOT be singining beautifully. Certainly Valjean shouldn't be singing Bring Him Home as well as he does, because he aged and shouldn't have the same voice as when he was young.

No one cares about Daphne's research. She could have written the book instead of Hugo for all we know. If she acts well -- great. Let her have a part in a PLAY. But, this is a MUSICAL, and the audience expects actors on stage to have the best voices anywhere!

theaterdude87
#41re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/5/06 at 4:39pm

alex I find that so much more of a fair review than many other people have given her. atleast you have some support rather than saying "she sucks, I couldn't wait until she died,"

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#42re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/5/06 at 4:42pm

I wouldn't mind Daphne using a "character" voice during her performance--it was her lack of pitch and phrasing that drove me nuts. And that is NOT a part of her character.

People in the theatre actually "groaned" when she returned in Act II, the night I saw it.

Oh well, press week has started so hopefully, she'll get it together.

LizzieCurry
#43re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/5/06 at 4:44pm

People in the theatre actually "groaned" when she returned in Act II, the night I saw it.

I heard that from two different people who saw it last week, too.
(Two different performances.)

Updated On: 11/5/06 at 04:44 PM

Yankeefan007
#44re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/5/06 at 4:57pm

I enjoyed her very much, too.

She's on stage for 20 minutes. Granted, she sings one of the most recognizable songs in the score, but people have to realize that this isn't the Les Miz they saw 7 times 10 years ago. If the production team thought she sucked, they would have let her go already.

KQuill Profile Photo
KQuill
#45re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/5/06 at 5:19pm

This board is comprised of a lot of people who want to see themselves as "theater savvy", so we tend to bash things that are "cool" to think are "horrible".

I think Phantom is the best example, because the majority of people here dislike Phantom, yet it has been running for almost 19 years. So now go ahead, fire away at me for that; no one likes to be told they are closed minded - and I think this notion is subconscience.

I think this is happening to a degree with Daphne. First of all, everyone here who sees the show has the preconveived idea that everyone hates her before going in. Secondly, I think i have seen only one or two people actually analyze what makes her so "horrible" - and I have totally respected those people even though i disagree - but im so sick and tired of these cheap insults, completely void of any thinking, that are present in most so called "reviews".

Want to sound "theater savvy"? Sound like you actully know something about the technical aspects of singing and acting.

LizzieCurry
#46re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/5/06 at 5:22pm

You might like this: http://talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/d.php?id=323750

KQuill Profile Photo
KQuill
#47re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/5/06 at 5:26pm

lol love it...
Updated On: 11/5/06 at 05:26 PM

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#48re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/5/06 at 5:27pm

Yeah, seems really savvy...

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#49re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/5/06 at 6:05pm

How was Aaron Lazar?

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Videos