pixeltracker

Les Mis 11/18 Stage Door and Daphne's B-day

Les Mis 11/18 Stage Door and Daphne's B-day

rarefizz
#1Les Mis 11/18 Stage Door and Daphne's B-day
Posted: 11/19/06 at 10:43am

Don't listen to the negative reviews--the show is as emotionally powerful and as beautiful as ever. The new cast and the orchestrations make the show feel more intimate than it ever has. Nearly everyone signed at the stage door last night, and Valjean and Javert (I don't have my Playbill in front of me and I don't want to get the spelling of their names wrong) were especially talkative and friendly. Daphne came out last (around 11:30), probably because it was her birthday, and she was the most friendly and excited of all the cast. She posed for pictures and then chatted with these three teenage boys for a while (who were all clearly huge Les Mis and Rent fans). They then serenaded her with a version of happy birthday, and Daphne clearly loved it. In a word, she was fierce. She just chatted on the street with everyone for a while before heading across to Sardis for some birthday celebration. As for her performance, Daphne plays Fantine with a nervous tic and on the verge of a breakdown, and while she certainly doesn't "fit" with the some of the rest of the cast, there is something new and different about her take on the role. At the end of the show, when Fantine returns to bring Valjean to eternal rest, her voice sounds less shaky, presumably because she is now at peace (in other words, her shaky singing of "I Dreamed a Dream" might have something to do with her dramatic intention).

mentaltenant Profile Photo
mentaltenant
#1re: Les Mis 11/18 Stage Door and Daphne's B-day
Posted: 11/19/06 at 11:18am

There's no doubt that her "shaky-ness" in "I Dreamed a Dream" is a character choice, some people just don't seem to like it haha. I find it incredibly moving. Anyway, glad to see Daphne was in top spirits on her birthday and still just as gracious to her fans, always makes me smile.

JamesMacon Profile Photo
JamesMacon
#2re: Les Mis 11/18 Stage Door and Daphne's B-day
Posted: 11/19/06 at 1:00pm

Glad you enjoyed Daphne too. Happy Birthday to her!

StarStruckGB Profile Photo
StarStruckGB
#3re: Les Mis 11/18 Stage Door and Daphne's B-day
Posted: 11/19/06 at 2:34pm

Hooray for positive Les Mis revival reviews!!

Goshen doesn't do High-School-shows.

lucydee Profile Photo
lucydee
#4re: Les Mis 11/18 Stage Door and Daphne's B-day
Posted: 11/19/06 at 7:03pm

So Glad people are sharing the love for Les Miserables.

Feel the Love - Les Mis

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#5re: Les Mis 11/18 Stage Door and Daphne's B-day
Posted: 11/19/06 at 7:15pm

I loved this production sooo much, especially Daphne. I finally believed that this woman [Fantine] was terminally ill and not just melodramatic

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

neddyfrank2
#6re: Les Mis 11/18 Stage Door and Daphne's B-day
Posted: 11/19/06 at 7:19pm

I love how people now review the stage door.

NJRae Profile Photo
NJRae
#7re: Les Mis 11/18 Stage Door and Daphne's B-day
Posted: 11/19/06 at 8:56pm

Was the barrier back up? When I walked past the theater Wednesday and today I thought I saw it propped against the building.

"I wrote a book: "How to Be Popular". Now I've put together a top ten list of how to help you: -Elphie, everyday... shower. I mean, who knows? Maybe some of that green is gonna come off! -Deodorant Elphie. No body likes a stinky witch! -I think we've covered the hair, we'll get to that. -Clean underclothes. That's all I'm gonna say. -Look at your posture. That's no way to be popular! -Bed made, room straightened. We've done that. -Colors blended. Oookay. -But the most important thing to have, to make yourself popular, is to keep your beautiful smile." ~Kristin Chenoweth in her last performance of the song "Popular"

fengshuihellnyc
#8re: Les Mis 11/18 Stage Door and Daphne's B-day
Posted: 11/19/06 at 11:02pm

I know I hate when the baracades aren't up at the stage door. It creates mass confusion and I think at some point irritates both actor and fan.

MovieGuy1031 Profile Photo
MovieGuy1031
#9re: Les Mis 11/18 Stage Door and Daphne's B-day
Posted: 11/21/06 at 4:56pm

I was one of the three serenading her!!! She was so nice!!! Then she dropped her earrings while she was walking away, and my friend Billy went to give them back to her. She took them, walked away, then turned back around and said "You know, what... you found them, you can keep them!"

And, on top of her being THE NICEST actress ever, she was INCREDIBLE as Fantine. I loved her interpretation of the character as something OTHER than a doomed belting diva. She was true to the actual character... doomed, yes, but also tragic, sick, downtrodden, poor, etc...

It was beautiful!

"The nice thing about the rain is that it always stops... eventually."

- Eeyore

javertjunky Profile Photo
javertjunky
#10re: Les Mis 11/18 Stage Door and Daphne's B-day
Posted: 12/11/06 at 9:01pm

I was another one of those three high school guys who sang to Daphne. The show was amazing but the stage door was just as good or even better. I was the one who decided to sing "happy birthday" to her. Every one in the entire cast was so nice. My favorite was Norm Lewis. He was without question the one who stole the show for me. From Ali's pretty face, to Adam's teeth, to Gary's laugh... it was a night to remember. I thought Daphne might think that us singing to her would be a little "stalkish" but she enjoyed it. The three of us are going to be in a high school production of Les Miz in February. It was very helpful to see the Broadway production to help us in our character development. Plus the whole cast was excited to hear that we were going to be putting on Les Miz!

"Men like me can never change, Men like you can never change. No, 24601. My duty's to the law - you have no Rights. Come with me 24601. Now the wheel has turned around, Jean Valjean is nothing now. Dare you talk to me of crime, And the price you had to pay. Every man is born in sin. Every man must choose his way. You know nothing of Javert. I was born inside a jail, I was born with s like you, I am from the gutter too!" ~Javert

mentaltenant Profile Photo
mentaltenant
#11re: Les Mis 11/18 Stage Door and Daphne's B-day
Posted: 12/11/06 at 9:08pm

"She took them, walked away, then turned back around and said "You know, what... you found them, you can keep them!" "

that is too awesome! She couldn't be a more gracious, awesome lady.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#12re: Les Mis 11/18 Stage Door and Daphne's B-day
Posted: 12/11/06 at 9:20pm

re: Les Mis 11/18 Stage Door and Daphne's B-day

Adam's teeth? LOL...

You need some of these!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Videos