re: HIGH FIDELITY 11/25 2pm

iluvtheatertrash
#1HIGH FIDELITY 11/25 2pm
Posted: 11/25/06 at 4:49pm

Hated it. Sadly. Really wanted to love it - I was trying to love as much as the cast was trying to make it work. Neither one of those attempts worked.

Where is the plot? Where are the visits with the ex-girlfriends? When does Laura "settle"? Why is "Ready to Settle" sung by the wrong character? Why is that the only memorable ballad? Why is the set better than the score? Why is the staging dull and childish? Why are there only about 5 or 6 laugh-out-loud jokes?

Poor Nick Hornby.

It'd be better to close it up before it opens. Start workshopping again. In a year or two, it could be great. But right now - it's pretty embarassing.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Yankeefan007
#1re: HIGH FIDELITY 11/25 2pm
Posted: 11/25/06 at 4:55pm

To each his own. I actually thought it was one of the better things this season, after being let down by stuff like Spring Awakening and Les Miz. It's a cute show, yet emotionally vacant. Rocket science it isn't - not by a long shot. Love the music. Not every show needs to be ballad heavy. Ballads in a show like this wouldn't work more than once or twice.
Updated On: 11/25/06 at 04:55 PM

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#2re: HIGH FIDELITY 11/25 2pm
Posted: 11/25/06 at 4:56pm

I really wish "Let Me Touch Your Breast" were still in it. It's about breakup number 3 or 2 I think. The one that wouldn't put out, then went all the way with another guy after he dumps her.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

ashley0139
#3re: HIGH FIDELITY 11/25 2pm
Posted: 11/25/06 at 5:00pm

That's too bad. I really enjoyed it. It seems as though people are either loving it or hating it.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

ILoveWicked330
#4re: HIGH FIDELITY 11/25 2pm
Posted: 11/25/06 at 5:03pm

Were there any playbills left? Yesterday some kid took atleast 25 of them. Why? I have NO idea.

ACTlete676 Profile Photo
ACTlete676
#5re: HIGH FIDELITY 11/25 2pm
Posted: 11/25/06 at 5:06pm

Boston Globe Today 11/25:
(sidekick section)

"'High Fidelity' the Broadway musical based on a movie that loathed Broadway musicals, is expected to close after a short run."

re: HIGH FIDELITY 11/25 2pm

Who says blondes have more fun on the French Riviera?

Yankeefan007
#6re: HIGH FIDELITY 11/25 2pm
Posted: 11/25/06 at 5:08pm

ILoveWicked - Ebay.

ATC - It didn't even open yet. I think that it's a bit quick to listen to the Boston Globe. As much as it irks me, I'll believe it when Riedel says it.

Though if the sales really do suck, closing it in previews would be the way to go, sadly.

Updated On: 11/25/06 at 05:08 PM

ILoveWicked330
#7re: HIGH FIDELITY 11/25 2pm
Posted: 11/25/06 at 5:10pm

Selling them on ebay? A pamphlet that's given out for free at a theatre that has no numerical value? If that kid is selling it on ebay, he's pathetic.

Yankeefan007
#8re: HIGH FIDELITY 11/25 2pm
Posted: 11/25/06 at 5:18pm

Hey, if they can get money for 'em, more power to 'em.

But enough thread jacking. Updated On: 11/25/06 at 05:18 PM

joyce2
#9re: HIGH FIDELITY 11/25 2pm
Posted: 11/25/06 at 5:35pm

I couldn't disagree with you more. I thought it was terrific. I've seen it in Boston, and again in NY. Lot's of energy, lot's of talent, and I think it's a winner.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#10re: HIGH FIDELITY 11/25 2pm
Posted: 11/25/06 at 5:36pm

Wow...I didn't think it was that bad. It should not close in previews and deserves to have at least a 3 month run. I guess it all depends on ticket sales though (and there were TONS of comps the night I went). Only time will tell.

BreeDaniel Profile Photo
BreeDaniel
#11re: HIGH FIDELITY 11/25 2pm
Posted: 11/25/06 at 5:53pm

Actually, it really was/is "that bad". I already posted my "review" on another thread. I know people are really pulling for this show (not sure why) but in all honesty, they should have cut their losses while out of town. I wasn't all that blown away by the performances either, especially the woman playing the best friend, it was a manic performance that seemed like a watered down version of about 5 other people who do that "schtick" far more proficiently. Colella's acting is weaker than I've seen from her yet (yes, the culprit could be the material but she's not transcending) and Will Chase, who I thought was the only thing worth suffering through Lennon for, I simply didn't care about here.

mightydog Profile Photo
mightydog
#12re: HIGH FIDELITY 11/25 2pm
Posted: 11/25/06 at 6:05pm

There is a short Q&A with Nick Hornby in the Movie section of the Decemer issue of GQ. He does not seem all that thrilled or even interested in the fact that a musical has been made from his novel.

iluvtheatertrash
#13re: HIGH FIDELITY 11/25 2pm
Posted: 11/25/06 at 6:07pm

Bree, that's more the fault of the story. You couldn't even care for John Cusack.

However, that works for film and literature. But I don't understrand why anyone would want to write a musical with a protagonist that is detestable.

It worked in CAROLINE, OR CHANGE mostly because she goes through a triumphant, dramatic change. Rob goes through one - but is it really one you care so much about? And, is that change ULTIMATELY a plot?

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

joyce2
#14re: HIGH FIDELITY 11/25 2pm
Posted: 11/25/06 at 6:27pm

Are you seeing the same show as everyone else? I thought Rachel Stern was awesome. Manic???? She was exactly what the role calls for.

ashley0139
#15re: HIGH FIDELITY 11/25 2pm
Posted: 11/25/06 at 6:28pm

Joyce- I agree. I thought Rachel was perfect in the role.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#16re: HIGH FIDELITY 11/25 2pm
Posted: 11/25/06 at 6:31pm

I really want to see this show....

"Passion can drive you crazy but is there any other way to live"

AlreadyDressed
#17re: HIGH FIDELITY 11/25 2pm
Posted: 11/25/06 at 6:55pm

I absolutely loved the show in Boston and saw it 4 times, but after seeing it today, there it no way I'd ever be able to sit through it again. I felt nothing for any of the characters, though it wasn't the fault of the actors. The actors were all rather good, for what they had to work with. The show itself is weak right now, and I can't see them making enough necessary changes while still in previews to make it any better.

Yankeefan007
#18re: HIGH FIDELITY 11/25 2pm
Posted: 11/25/06 at 7:01pm

AlreadyDressed - I feel the exact same way. The actors were all very good, but you feel nothing.

Was it any different in Boston?

AlreadyDressed
#19re: HIGH FIDELITY 11/25 2pm
Posted: 11/25/06 at 7:05pm

In Boston it was a lot of little things that made you care about Rob and Laura, and root for them to get back together. They cut a song that Jenn had in the beginning that explained a lot of why they're breaking up rather than it just seeming like it's about the fight. Rob also didn't seem like a complete asshole as much back in try outs. Today the show left me not caring if they got back together because Robs an ass and Laura didn't have enough character development to make me really care what happens either way. It's sad, because I felt that Will and Jenn really gave it all they had.

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#20re: HIGH FIDELITY 11/25 2pm
Posted: 11/25/06 at 7:32pm

Not to sound cruel, but I hope it closes in previews because I have tickets for the 3rd performance (full-price, well discount code..) and would much rather use that money toward something else if this show is as awful as everyone says it is.

Yankeefan007
#21re: HIGH FIDELITY 11/25 2pm
Posted: 11/25/06 at 7:35pm

It's not bad.

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#22re: HIGH FIDELITY 11/25 2pm
Posted: 11/25/06 at 7:38pm

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I can't stand it when people tell people their opinion is wrong and the show sucks. Say you don't like it, but don't say your wrong it's awful. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I respect theatretrash's opinion, even though I don't agree with him.

Also, don't judge a show before you've seen it. I thought LITP was going to be terrible and it's now one of my all time favorite shows.

#23re: HIGH FIDELITY 11/25 2pm
Posted: 11/25/06 at 8:16pm

Even though I don't agree with your list of flaws in the show, I certainly won't attempt to argue with you over an opinion. I just really hope that this show gets a chance, even though the chances continue to look worse. Even though you might not have found it hysterical, I was definitely in tears for a good portion of the show, and I would imagine those with a similar sense of humor would be the same way. High Fidelity just needs to find its audience. I think it might have done better off-Broadway.

Trish2
#24re: HIGH FIDELITY 11/25 2pm
Posted: 11/25/06 at 8:52pm

Are you kidding? If you dont mind parting with some of your older, rare playbills, you can fetch some nice pocket change and then some on EBAY. Just go there and do a search !

Videos