Updates on Little Mermaid??

broadwayjoe476 Profile Photo
broadwayjoe476
#1Updates on Little Mermaid??
Posted: 12/12/06 at 6:49pm

Any updates on casting, when opening, etc....

Heybeenfood Profile Photo
Heybeenfood
#1re: Updates on Little Mermaid??
Posted: 12/12/06 at 8:31pm

None that you are most likely aware of.

theatregoer
#2re: Updates on Little Mermaid??
Posted: 12/22/06 at 12:49am

The show, as is public knowledge, will start in Denver in Mid-2007. As far as I know, rehearshals will start in February.

As far as casting goes, I know that Sebastian has been cast. I cannot say who, except that it is not a big-name star, and is an unknown in the industry.

Because of this, I assume other principal roles have also been cast. I'm not familiar with who has received them however.

WellIfYouInsist
#3re: Updates on Little Mermaid??
Posted: 12/22/06 at 12:51am

I got the workshop score a week or so ago, if that counts as an update.

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#4re: Updates on Little Mermaid??
Posted: 12/22/06 at 12:52am

They were doing final callbacks for Neptune last week. There also was a listing in the agents breakdowns about needing someone young to play Flounder.

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

WellIfYouInsist
#5re: Updates on Little Mermaid??
Posted: 12/22/06 at 12:56am

Flounder has a gospel number with merman backups. Exactly how young did they want?

And by Neptune did you mean King Triton...or did I miss something?

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#6re: Updates on Little Mermaid??
Posted: 12/22/06 at 12:58am

As with POPPINS and TARZAN they will go with replacable leads who work for no $.
Ah there's the rub.
Actors on Skate shoes, well what does that say?

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#7re: Updates on Little Mermaid??
Posted: 12/22/06 at 12:58am

Yeah I am sorry. I meant Triton. Let me go back and doublecheck the breakdown

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#8re: Updates on Little Mermaid??
Posted: 12/22/06 at 1:08am

Here it is:

SEEKING
[Flounder} To play a boy fish of 10-12 who can sing and move well.
A little fish in a big pond. A faithful friend small enough to look up to the Little Mermaid, Ariel. What he lacks in courage he more than makes up for in enthusiasm. Vocal Range: Boy Soprano with good pop sensibility. Belt to a Strong D. Principle Role.

Sounds to me like they want a Kid

WellIfYouInsist
#9re: Updates on Little Mermaid??
Posted: 12/22/06 at 1:14am

That's cool, thanks. His song isn't exactly gospel, but I would say very modern and Poppy (hence the need for 'pop sensibility').

The actors are going to be on skates?

CurtainPullDowner
#10re: Updates on Little Mermaid??
Posted: 12/22/06 at 1:15am

what's a boy fish?

WellIfYouInsist
#11re: Updates on Little Mermaid??
Posted: 12/22/06 at 1:17am

A fish with a winkle-dinkle, I'd imagine. Why?

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#12re: Updates on Little Mermaid??
Posted: 12/22/06 at 1:22am

i wish flounder was older...but it isn't my decision.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

CurtainPullDowner
#13re: Updates on Little Mermaid??
Posted: 12/22/06 at 1:25am

so who's up for the leads?

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#14re: Updates on Little Mermaid??
Posted: 12/22/06 at 1:31am

From what I know, Triton is pretty close to being cast. If it turns out to be who I think it's going to be, he is someone who has worked for the company (Disney) for a long time.
That's all I know. I don't want to say more cause I don't want my sources to get in trouble. I had to delete some spoilers on the South pacific thread last night.
Anyway, I am interested in how exactly they are going to make this show happen. There are scenes with her underwater interacting with fish, and then she is on the surface of the water interacting with Scuttle the Seagull (will he fly?). Then there are the land scenes! Plus there are details like Ursala's tentacles and her Evil Eels, Flotsam and Jetsam.(sp?)

Updated On: 12/22/06 at 01:31 AM

lady godiva Profile Photo
lady godiva
#15re: Updates on Little Mermaid??
Posted: 12/22/06 at 1:57am

They are in their last weeks of casting. Ursula & Sebastian have been cast, but I cannot say who. I'm surprised nobody's clued into it, though.

my life is brilliant. my love is pure.

Julian2
#16re: Updates on Little Mermaid??
Posted: 12/22/06 at 2:08am

Why does Flounder even need a number?

Oh well, I won't judge this untill it opens.

This whole affair saddens me so. I am not opposed to the idea of taking certain films and fine tuning them for the stage, and the Menken/Asheman movies are great starting points, but disney is running this whole thing into the ground as far as any real art and/or credibility goes.

But like I said, I won't judge this one untill it opens.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

WellIfYouInsist
#17re: Updates on Little Mermaid??
Posted: 12/22/06 at 2:31am

It's your basic 'Something's-up-with-ariell-she's-acting-different-omg-she's-in-love' number. It's actually called "She's In Love."

Lady Godiva, how is it really that obvious if no one's figured it out?

Sherie Renee Scott?
Idina?
Shoshana Bean?

Since you have these contacts, maybe you could use your powers for good and instead of tantalizing us just telling us when the casting is most likely to be announced.

lady godiva Profile Photo
lady godiva
#18re: Updates on Little Mermaid??
Posted: 12/22/06 at 4:03am

From what I understand, it will be announced soon -- however, they are still finalizing things. However, since (as said) rehearsals will begin around February - they'll be announcing soon.
I didn't mean to "tantalize" anyone - just mention that roles were cast, and still maintain honour with those contacts. Sorry if that was misconstrued?

my life is brilliant. my love is pure.

The_Legend
#19re: Updates on Little Mermaid??
Posted: 12/22/06 at 8:55am

Hmmmm,
Anyone know who the CD is for this? Thanks!

broadwayguy2
#20re: Updates on Little Mermaid??
Posted: 12/22/06 at 8:57am

I'm loving this thread.. there is so much that just makes me say "dear GOD if you only knew what was going with this show, it's casting, and it's staging..."

People have NO clue.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#21re: Updates on Little Mermaid??
Posted: 12/22/06 at 10:45am

"From what I know, Triton is pretty close to being cast. If it turns out to be who I think it's going to be, he is someone who has worked for the company (Disney) for a long time."

Steve Blanchard? Lord knows he's been in Beauty and the Beast since the inception of time...

In regards to Ursula, it has been pretty much substancialized that they want the same actress to play both Ursula and Vanessa (the younger form she takes when she goes on land,) so it's a pretty safe bet to say whoever is cast will be someone young-ish and attractive.

Sherie Rene Scott's name was mentioned as heavily rumored on another thread.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 12/22/06 at 10:45 AM

CurtainPullDowner
#22re: Updates on Little Mermaid??
Posted: 12/22/06 at 10:46am

Well he has the chest for it.

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#23re: Updates on Little Mermaid??
Posted: 12/22/06 at 11:04am

Actually, I don't believe any final decisions have been made for ANY of the roles. And those decisions will be made after the holidays.

And even after the roles are cast - they still need to do the contract work which means that those cast aren't 100 percent the ones that will be appearing in the show. Things can always happen during negotiations.

In other words - until there is an official announcement - everything is speculation and rumor. No matter who is posting about it.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#24re: Updates on Little Mermaid??
Posted: 12/22/06 at 11:09am

That's true Craig. Offers haven't been made, so there is still possibilities that people will turn the roles down, or not get what they want in negotiations.

Videos