The Scene/ second stage

massofmen
#1The Scene/ second stage
Posted: 12/14/06 at 2:01pm

Did anyone get to see the dress rehearsal last night?

Yankeefan007
#1re: The Scene/ second stage
Posted: 12/14/06 at 2:06pm

There's a review over on the other forum that pretty much said the show's in great shape. The cast, too, was excellent, apparently.

massofmen
#2re: The Scene/ second stage
Posted: 12/14/06 at 2:07pm

thanks. i am looking foward to this.

bigbigbill Profile Photo
bigbigbill
#3re: The Scene/ second stage
Posted: 12/14/06 at 2:35pm

I'm seeing it on December 27th. Should be fun.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#4re: The Scene/ second stage
Posted: 12/19/06 at 3:51pm

I'm seeing this tonight.....

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#5re: The Scene/ second stage
Posted: 12/19/06 at 3:52pm

Me too.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#6re: The Scene/ second stage
Posted: 12/19/06 at 5:38pm

I saw it over the weekend and I was really taken with it. I was surprised, since I have not been a fan on Rebeck in the past. All four actors are terrific. Here's what I posted on my blog:

Theresa Rebeck redeems herself after The Water's Edge with this razor-sharp black comedy about the New York party scene. Three entertainment industry professionals go through significant life changes after they become acquainted with a naive Ohio transplant and unapologetic party girl. Patricia Heaton and Tony Shaloub (both playing against their type) are absolutely terrific, as is veteran stage pro Christopher Evan Welch, but it is Anna Camp as the scenester who steals the show. I have never seen her on stage before, but on the strength of this performance I would say she can look forward to a nice, long career in theatre.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#7re: The Scene/ second stage
Posted: 12/19/06 at 10:29pm

I pretty much agree with AC1. The play is not perfect, but it's REALLY good.

The entire cast is truly talented. As someone who's seen about a million reruns of Everybody Loves Raymond, I was struck by the fact that there is not one trace of Debra Barone in Heaton's Stella. Whether any of us agree with her politics or not, she's a much better actor than I ever realized, and I was truly affected by her performance.

I had never heard of Anna Camp either, but she is pitch perfect from start to finish. I agree that she is on the road to great things. Shalhoub and Evans are both terrific, although Evans doesn't convince me of a major character point which I won't discuss here for fear of spoilage.

If you have a chance to see this one, don't pass it up.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#8re: The Scene/ second stage
Posted: 12/19/06 at 10:35pm

I ushered this show last Friday and pretty much echo what was said here. I absolutely loved it, and was taken by the performances of the entire cast. It was really in fantastic shape, especially considering I saw something like the second preview.

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#9re: The Scene/ second stage
Posted: 12/20/06 at 10:33am

Anna Camp was wonderful in "columbinus" too. I hope she has a great career ahead of her.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#10re: The Scene/ second stage
Posted: 12/20/06 at 2:16pm

Saw it last night, the cast was great, wasn't crazy about some of the story (dragged on a little long at times, even the sex scene). I think they could have shortened a few scenes. Anna Camp as the scenester was excellent, a pleasant suprise.

Sat way up in Row L.

Very enjoyable and worth seeing!

I wasn't crazy about the in-between scene music. The scenery itself was very good (no, not just the blonde, the inanimate scenery as well!)

Ken
Updated On: 12/20/06 at 02:16 PM

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#12re: The Scene/ second stage
Posted: 12/28/06 at 7:53pm

January 11.

I saw it last week, and I think both Rath and AC126748 hit the nail on the head. The show isn't perfect, but it's pretty damn good. Stellar work all around. Heaton's range really pleasantly surprised me.

McFrenzied Profile Photo
McFrenzied
#13re: The Scene/ second stage
Posted: 12/28/06 at 10:24pm

I can't wait to see this. I love Rebeck. Bigbigbill, what did you think of it last night?

tearsforhari
#14re: The Scene/ second stage
Posted: 12/29/06 at 3:23am

I was pleasantly surprised too, especially after THE WATER'S EDGE.
But I still wrote a sarcastic review of it to parallel the black comedy.
http://broadwayreviews.googlespages.com

bigbigbill Profile Photo
bigbigbill
#15re: The Scene/ second stage
Posted: 12/29/06 at 8:40am

I loved it! It was very good. Great acting, funny script, great sets. I love the theatre as well. I definitely recommend this show All of the actors were perfect for their parts.

massofmen
#16re: The Scene/ second stage
Posted: 1/1/07 at 12:02pm

i finally got to see the show and loved it.
I think tony shalhoub is amazing and I can kinda see this at a bigger theater a few blocks away. when do producers decide if shows will transfer or not?

Yankeefan007
#17re: The Scene/ second stage
Posted: 1/1/07 at 12:39pm

Depends on the reviews.

Considering that Shaloub is doing this on his break from Monk, if he gets the bulk of good reviews, the transfer would probably be contingent on his schedule. He and Heaton are their selling points, much like Little Dog and Julie White. They wouldn't want to move the show without the selling points.

Videos