Top 10 Lists

Yankeefan007
#1Top 10 Lists
Posted: 12/19/06 at 7:39pm

No, this isn't a High Fidelity thread.

Is it too soon to start posting the top 10 of 2006 lists yet? I was thinking about mine earlier today....tough choices.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#2re: Top 10 Lists
Posted: 12/19/06 at 8:51pm

I posted my list today on All That Chat. I still have one more show to see this year (TWO TRAINS RUNNING), but I think my list is pretty much set. In alphabetical order, and counting both parts of THE COAST OF UTOPIA as one entity:

Awake and Sing
The Coast of Utopia: Voyage and Shipwreck
Faith Healer
Heartbreak House
Jacques Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris
Landscape of the Body
The Lieutenant of Inishmore
Mother Courage and Her Children
Of Thee I Sing!
Seven Guitars

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#2re: Top 10 Lists
Posted: 12/19/06 at 9:10pm

Of Thee I Sing? Really?

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

bwayondabrain
#3re: Top 10 Lists
Posted: 12/19/06 at 9:10pm

I will post my after the new year
Seeing 5 more shows next week, which will be sure to occupy some space

but "locks" are
THE WEDDING SINGER
THE DROWSY CHAPERONE

*EDITED Updated On: 12/19/06 at 09:10 PM

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#4re: Top 10 Lists
Posted: 12/19/06 at 9:14pm

Of Thee I Sing? Really?

Yes. It was a wonderful production, the kind that reminds you how wonderful musicals once were.

BWAYONDABRAIN-

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Sweeney Todd opened in 2005. How can they be used on a 2006 list?

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

bwayondabrain
#5re: Top 10 Lists
Posted: 12/19/06 at 9:15pm

woops, my mistake, i thought it meant shows we saw this year
wow, my bad
so sorry

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#6re: Top 10 Lists
Posted: 12/19/06 at 9:15pm

Really? I have to ask what exactly you liked about it because to be honest the only things I liked about it were Jenny Powers and Victor Garber.

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#7re: Top 10 Lists
Posted: 12/19/06 at 9:17pm

Here's My top five:

COAST OF UTOPIA Part 1: Voyage
COAST OF UTOPIA Part 2: Shipwreck
SPRING AWAKENING
COMPANY
APPLE TREE

bwayondabrain- You were right...for last year though! hehe- Sweeney was EW's #1 last year! yay!

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck
Updated On: 12/19/06 at 09:17 PM

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#8re: Top 10 Lists
Posted: 12/19/06 at 9:21pm

Incomplete list, but so far:

The Lieutenant of Inishmore
The History Boys
The Pajama Game
The Drowsy Chaperone
The Little Dog Laughed
Heartbreak House

I've yet to see Grey Gardens, Spring Awakening, Company or Coast of Utopia.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

Yankeefan007
#9re: Top 10 Lists
Posted: 12/19/06 at 9:30pm

1. The Coast of Utopia, Part II: Shipwreck
2. Grey Gardens
3. The History Boys
4. Jay Johnson: The Two and Only
5. Company
6. Mary Poppins
7. The Coast of Utopia, Part I: Voyage
8. The House in Town
9. Show People
10. The Pajama Game

Show I regret seeing: Hot Feet
Show I wish I had seen: Faith Healer Updated On: 12/28/06 at 09:30 PM

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#10re: Top 10 Lists
Posted: 12/19/06 at 9:32pm

SallyBrown-

It is my personal opinion that OF THEE I SING! has one of the best scores ever written, and being able to hear it live was absolutely thrilling to me. Add to that a top-notch cast and gorgeous orchestrations and I was in musical theatre heaven. That's why I included it.

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#11re: Top 10 Lists
Posted: 12/19/06 at 9:34pm

Oh ok. I have a question though, is it an Encores! thing that they have the scripts with them or is it just an Of Thee I Sing! thing?

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#12re: Top 10 Lists
Posted: 12/19/06 at 9:42pm

An Encores thing. It's called a staged reading.

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#13re: Top 10 Lists
Posted: 12/19/06 at 9:54pm

Awake and Sing would be at the top of my list.

actor
#14re: Top 10 Lists
Posted: 12/19/06 at 10:25pm

The Drowsy Chaperone would be at the very top of my list.

AnaGFan
#15re: Top 10 Lists
Posted: 12/20/06 at 12:49am

In no particular order...

High Fidelity
Wedding Singer
Jersey Boys
Mary Poppins

bigbigbill Profile Photo
bigbigbill
#16re: Top 10 Lists
Posted: 12/20/06 at 9:20am

My two all time favorite shows are from 2006. Those are

The Drowsy Chaperone
Spring Awakening.

to be continued.

RentHead2 Profile Photo
RentHead2
#17re: Top 10 Lists
Posted: 12/20/06 at 11:09am

My Top 5 For 2006:

1. The Wedding Singer (5)
2. Grey Gardens (1)
3. Evil Dead: The Musical (Off-Broadway 2)
4. Title Of Show
5. High Fidelity (2)

I made a list of all your faults, it was quite detailed and lengthy too and when I read it through I missed you. Your like a classic Eagles song, you just cant help but sing along even though it sometimes gets annoying too. I just know I want to be wherever I can wake and see you there next to me. **High Fidelity** Love is what I do **The Wedding Singer** Xanadu - Best NEW Musical of the Season!

NBC
#18re: Top 10 Lists
Posted: 12/20/06 at 11:56am

Not everybody gets to see everything the year it opens...and Sweeney didn't open until November 2005, so I say feel free to include it in your 2006 top ten lists! It would certainly be on mine...the final performance was one of the most thrilling evenings of theatre I had this year.

"I cried during the Frug." - MC

#19re: Top 10 Lists
Posted: 12/20/06 at 12:07pm

1. The Drowsy Chaperone
2. Mary Poppins
3. Les Miserables
4. A Chorus Line
5. Spring Awakening

Flash-In-The-Pan Profile Photo
Flash-In-The-Pan
#20re: Top 10 Lists
Posted: 12/20/06 at 8:46pm

1. Landscape of the Body
2. Rabbit Hole
3. Grey Gardens
4. Lieutenant of Inishmore
5. Awake and Sing
6. Company
7. Seven Guitars
8. Based on a Totally True Story
9. Hedda Gabler (BAM)
10. Mother Courage

Yankeefan007
#20re: Top 10 Lists
Posted: 12/28/06 at 5:44pm

bump

actor
#21re: Top 10 Lists
Posted: 12/28/06 at 6:25pm

1. Wicked in the UK
2. The Drowsy Chaperone
3. Mary Poppins
4. Jersey Boys

[incomplete]

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#22re: Top 10 Lists
Posted: 12/28/06 at 7:35pm

1. Mother Courage and Her Children
2. Awake and Sing
3. The Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck
4. Rabbit Hole
5. Bernarda Alba
6. The Coast of Utopia: Voyage
7. Landscape of the Body
8. The Lieutenant of Inishmore
9. Faith Healer
10. The House in Town

Honorable Mentions: [title of show]; Heartbreak House; The Voysey Inheritance; Two Trains Running; Wrecks; Seven Guitars; Jacques Brel...; No Child; The Busy World is Hushed