pixeltracker

Spamalot, Sunday Top Olivier Award Noms; Wicked Snubbed

Spamalot, Sunday Top Olivier Award Noms; Wicked Snubbed

Yankeefan007
#1Spamalot, Sunday Top Olivier Award Noms; Wicked Snubbed
Posted: 1/17/07 at 6:41pm

Spamalot garnered 7 Olivier Award nominations, Sunday in the Park followed with 6. Avenue Q got a best musical nomination, Wicked was snubbed. Also notably snubbed was Kevin Spacey, for Misbegotten.

The full list can be found here:
http://www.theatre.com/story/id/3005514

Highlights:
Best New Play
Blackbird by David Harrower
Frost/Nixon by Peter Morgan
Rock ‘N’ Roll by Tom Stoppard
The Seafarer by Conor McPherson

Best New Comedy
The 39 Steps adapted by Patrick Barlow from John Buchan’s novel with an original concept by Simon Corble and Nobby Dimon
Don Juan in Soho by Patrick Marber after Moliere
Love Song by John Kolvenbach

Best Revival
The Crucible by Arthur Miller
Donkey’s Years by Michael Frayn
A Moon for the Misbegotten by Eugene O’Neill
Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? By Edward Albee

Best New Musical
Avenue Q by Robert Lopez and Jeff Marx (music, lyrics and original concept) and Jeff Whitty (book)
Caroline, or Change by Tony Kushner (book and lyrics) and Jeanine Tesori (music)
Monty Python’s Spamalot by Eric Idle (boko and lyrics) and John Du Prez (music) from the original screenplay by Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Michael Palin
Porgy and Bess by George Gershwin (music) and Dubose and Dorothy Heyward and Ira Gershwin (book and lyrics) with an adaptation by Trevor Nunn

Best Actress
Eve Best for A Moon for the Misbegotten
Sinead Cusack for Rock ‘N’ Roll
Tamsin Greig for Much Ado About Nothing
Kathleen Turner for Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Best Actor
Iain Glen for The Crucible
David Haig for Donkey’s Years
Frank Langella for Frost/Nixon
Rufus Sewell for Rock ‘N’ Roll
Michael Sheen for Frost/Nixon

Best Actress in a Musical
Nicola Hughes for the Gershwins’ Porgy and Bess
Tonya Pinkins for Caroline, or Change
Elena Rogers for Evita
Jenna Russell for Sunday in the Park with George
Hannah Waddingham for Monty Python’s Spamalot

Best Actor in a Musical
Tim Curry for Monty Python’s Spamalot
Daniel Evans for Sunday in the Park with George
Clarke Peters for the Gershwins’ Porgy and Bess
Philip Quast for Evita

Updated On: 1/17/07 at 06:41 PM

ThankstoPhantom
#2re: Spamalot, Sunday Top Olivier Awards; Wicked Snubbed
Posted: 1/17/07 at 6:48pm

Glad to see Miss Pinkins with a nomination.

I find it rather interesting that Wicked and Avenue Q opened in London during the same season.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

Yankeefan007
#2re: Spamalot, Sunday Top Olivier Awards; Wicked Snubbed
Posted: 1/17/07 at 6:49pm

And clearly, the Broadway Tony vote wasn't wrong.

MargoChanning
#3re: Spamalot, Sunday Top Olivier Awards; Wicked Snubbed
Posted: 1/17/07 at 6:57pm

As did CAROLINE (which already received the Evening Standard Award for Best Musical).

Not that I like the show, but I find it interesting that WICKED was shut out of both the "Best Musical" and "Best Musical Production" categories, but it did receive nods for direction, sets, lighting and costumes (I mean, even if you hate the book and score, aren't those the elements that go into a "Musical Production"?). Also funny that Menzel was snubbed, considering she won the Tony here (over Pinkins who DID get an Olivier nomination).

http://www.variety.com/awardcentral_article/VR1117957568.html?nav=news&categoryid=1985&cs=1

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 1/18/07 at 06:57 PM

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#4re: Spamalot, Sunday Top Olivier Awards; Wicked Snubbed
Posted: 1/17/07 at 6:58pm

Wow that is a little shocking that it got nothing...but you know the English may have not been as enthralled by it.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

Yankeefan007
#5re: Spamalot, Sunday Top Olivier Awards; Wicked Snubbed
Posted: 1/17/07 at 6:59pm

It got 4 - only tech. noms.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#6re: Spamalot, Sunday Top Olivier Awards; Wicked Snubbed
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:00pm

How is Porgy and Bess nominated for best new musical?

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

ThankstoPhantom
#7re: Spamalot, Sunday Top Olivier Awards; Wicked Snubbed
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:00pm

I'm assuming their Musical Production category is for revivals, so that may be why they wouldn't give it for that category.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

MargoChanning
#8re: Spamalot, Sunday Top Olivier Awards; Wicked Snubbed
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:04pm

I was wondering about PORGY myself. I know that Nunn made some trims to the original text and score, but I find it odd that that could be enough to consider the show a "New" musical (considering nothing new was added). Sounds like it would more likely be a candidate for "Musical Production" than "New Musical."

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#9re: Spamalot, Sunday Top Olivier Awards; Wicked Snubbed
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:05pm

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Updated On: 1/17/07 at 07:05 PM

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#10re: Spamalot, Sunday Top Olivier Awards; Wicked Snubbed
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:12pm

Trevor Nunn edited 'Porgy And Bess' down from an opera by turning recitative passages into dialogue and cutting other bits out to turn it into a more standard less-than-three-hour musical. I guess that's change enough for it to be considered a new musical.

I'm quite torn between wanting Tonya Pinkins and Jenna Russell to both win Best Actress in a musical. :/ I'd really like Philip Quast to take Best Actor, because he was amazing, but it's such a small role that I think I'd be much happier if Daniel Evans took it. Basically, 'Sunday In The Park With George' was as wonderful as you've all been led to believe and I hope it nabs as many awards for itself as possible. :3

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#11re: Spamalot, Sunday Top Olivier Awards; Wicked Snubbed
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:13pm

The Trevor Nunn production is not PORGY & BESS but "The Musical Porgy & Bess" and it is cut down from 4 hours to 2-1/2, with much of the music set down within Broadway rather than operatic singing range. So it isn't really a revival as much as a total re-working.

MargoChanning
#12re: Spamalot, Sunday Top Olivier Awards; Wicked Snubbed
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:14pm

I guess my confusion was that they have separate categories for "New Musical" and "New Musical Production." My assumption at first glance was that "Musical Production" referred only to the actual "physical" production -- the sets, lighting, costumes, and staging -- so that even if they hated the book and score (which they apparently did), they might still put the show in the "Production" category, since they thought enough of the technical elements to nominate each separately. Now, if "New Musical Production" is simply another term for "Best Musical Revival" then I understand why WICKED wouldn't be put in that category (though it seems a little odd to me that they wouldn't just call the category "Best Musical Revival" since they do have a "Best Revival" category, which apparently only applies to non-musical plays). But, whatever. It's not like I'm a fan of WICKED anyway.

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#13re: Spamalot, Sunday Top Olivier Awards; Wicked Snubbed
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:33pm

I'm kind of shocked Idina Menzel wasn't nominated. If I remember correctly, her reviews there were almost universally positive, some raves. And it's hard for me to believe there were five peformances of greater caliber in this one year.

Even if you don't like Ms. Menzel's work, it's still pretty surprising. Like Margo said, she took the Tony home over Pinkins, who was nominated for an Olivier.

MargoChanning
#14re: Spamalot, Sunday Top Olivier Awards; Wicked Snubbed
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:35pm

The thing about PORGY & BESS though is that during its long 70+ year history, it has very, very rarely been performed in its full, 4 and a half hour uncut opera house version with all the recitatives in tact. In fact the Houston Grand Opera production from the late 70s was one of the first to do it. More often than not, world-wide, it's been edited down to three hours or less and its recitatives have been dropped altogether, due to audience tastes and the often limited resources of the theatres it's played in (I believe that the version that toured extensively internationally throughout the 50s -- starring Leontyne Price and William Warfield for some of it -- was a bus-and-truck version that was about two-and-a-half hours long). And it was very much the norm to regularly lower and adjust keys due to the punishing nature of the roles (black opera singers used to call the role of Bess "The Great American Voice Eater").

The full version has ALWAYS been the exception, not the rule and not until it became generally acclaimed as an important American Opera just a couple of decades ago -- heck, The Met didn't see fit to mount it until 1985 -- did the uncut version start popping up with any regularity in the US (it still is usually heavily cut overseas).

My point is that London has seen a heavily edited, no recitative, lowered keys, two-and-a-half hour version of PORGY & BESS many times before -- certainly more times than it's ever seen a full version -- so why would Nunn trotting out the same old cut-down edition this time around be seen as somehow making the show "New?" I take it that it's just because it's Trevor Nunn and not for any truly logical reason.

Updated On: 1/17/07 at 07:35 PM

neddyfrank2
#15re: Spamalot, Sunday Top Olivier Awards; Wicked Snubbed
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:36pm

Porgy and Bess for a New Musical?

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#16re: Spamalot, Sunday Top Olivier Awards; Wicked Snubbed
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:53pm

I'm not surprised about the lack of love for WICKED and its stars, though I'm curious whether THE SOUND OF MUSIC was snubbed or opened after the cut off date. It seems like, based on what I've read, that the set design and perhaps Connie Fischer would have been in the running.

I think the best actress in a musical race will be between Elena Roger and Nicola Hughes...

EDIT: Nevermind, I see SOM was nominated for the "best musical production" award - I made the same mistake Margo did. A bit of a confusing label.

Updated On: 1/17/07 at 07:53 PM

MargoChanning
#17re: Spamalot, Sunday Top Olivier Awards; Wicked Snubbed
Posted: 1/17/07 at 8:01pm

SOUND OF MUSIC was nominated for Best Musical Production:

MUSICAL PRODUCTION
"Cabaret," book by John Masteroff, music by John Kander, lyrics by Fred Ebb, based on the play by John van Druten and stories by Christopher Isherwood

"Evita," lyrics by Tim Rice, music by Andrew Lloyd Webber

"The Sound of Music," music by Richard Rodgers, lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II, book by Howard Lindsay and Russell Crouse, suggested by "The Trapp Family Singers" by Maria Augusta Trapp

"Sunday in the Park With George," music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim, book by James Lapine

I would think that Pinkins has a shot at Best Actress as well, since CAROLINE was so well-received there (beating out Evita, Spamalot and SITPWG for the Evening Standard Award).

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#18re: Spamalot, Sunday Top Olivier Awards; Wicked Snubbed
Posted: 1/17/07 at 8:03pm

I'm sure she does have a chance, though I think, historically, the Oliviers are a little biased towards awarding Americans. Jane Krakowski and Patti LuPone are about the only Yanks I can think of off the top of my head to actually win. I'm sure there have been others.

Really a case could probably be made for all the women nominated in that catagory. How often do you see a Best Actress lineup with the calibre of those roles?

MargoChanning
#19re: Spamalot, Sunday Top Olivier Awards; Wicked Snubbed
Posted: 1/17/07 at 8:07pm

Very true (though, The Lady of the Lake is a bit smallish compared to the others).

#20re: Spamalot, Sunday Top Olivier Awards; Wicked Snubbed
Posted: 1/17/07 at 8:17pm

"Trevor Nunn edited 'Porgy And Bess' down from an opera by turning recitative passages into dialogue and cutting other bits out to turn it into a more standard less-than-three-hour musical. I guess that's change enough for it to be considered a new musical. "

Isn't that basically how it was originally performed on Broadway in the 30s??? I know the recitative was cut to dialogue (in fac tthis was the standard way to perform it for some time) and many moments like Buzzard Song cut

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#21re: Spamalot, Sunday Top Olivier Awards; Wicked Snubbed
Posted: 1/17/07 at 8:26pm

I certainly hope Tonya Pinkins wins the award since I believe she deserved the Tony in 2004, her "Lot's Wife" alone should give her just about any award there is.
I'm not too familiar with London theater audiences, did it come as a surprise that Connie Fisher and Idina Menzel were snubbed?

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

MargoChanning
#22re: Spamalot, Sunday Top Olivier Awards; Wicked Snubbed
Posted: 1/17/07 at 8:30pm

Yes, the original Broadway production from the Theatre Guild (that Gershwin himself conducted and supervised) was performed without recitatives and several key numbers cut (including The Buzzard Song and Strawberry Woman).

Updated On: 1/17/07 at 08:30 PM

MrBundles Profile Photo
MrBundles
#23re: Spamalot, Sunday Top Olivier Awards; Wicked Snubbed
Posted: 1/17/07 at 9:09pm

i hope daniel evans wins!

Your fupa is showing.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#24re: Spamalot, Sunday Top Olivier Awards; Wicked Snubbed
Posted: 1/17/07 at 11:06pm

As brilliant as Pinkins is, I would imagine that Elena Roger will win. It seems to be all about her this year, though I know NOTHING about the politics of the Oliviers.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Videos