pixeltracker

What can I take high school students to see in London?- Page 2

What can I take high school students to see in London?

zerodanny Profile Photo
zerodanny
#25re: What can I take high school students to see in London?
Posted: 1/25/07 at 9:42am

Mary Poppins(the current cast is "effin" fabulous)
Billy Elliott or Blood Brothers.

**Anything Can Happen If You Let It** SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#26re: What can I take high school students to see in London?
Posted: 1/25/07 at 9:47am

Well im from the UK so ive seen most shows in london and i would say

Little shop of horrors
Billy Elliot
Mary Poppins/woman in black

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

sidjones09 Profile Photo
sidjones09
#27re: What can I take high school students to see in London?
Posted: 1/25/07 at 10:06am

I hate to say it, but if they haven't seen it already, The Lion King wouldn't dissapoint either. I don't know what the quality of the London cast is right now though, but that does make a difference. Little Shop and Billy Elliot sound like great ideas as well. I would definitely take them to see a play as well, if at all possible. Are there no good plays running in London besides History Boys for this age group? I

"If you've got something to say, say it, and think well of yourself while you're learning to say it better." - David Mamet

ILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
#28re: What can I take high school students to see in London?
Posted: 1/25/07 at 12:19pm

Billy Elliot
Guys and Dolls
Caberet

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#29re: What can I take high school students to see in London?
Posted: 1/25/07 at 12:21pm

Updated On: 1/25/07 at 12:21 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#30re: What can I take high school students to see in London?
Posted: 1/25/07 at 12:21pm

Why WICKED? They can see that any day here.

Will EVITA still be running?

And that London CABARET doesn't like a great idea for a school trip. Especially for a Catholic school. I'm in Catholic school, so I know how prude things can be sometimes.
Updated On: 1/25/07 at 12:21 PM

MargoChanning
#31re: What can I take high school students to see in London?
Posted: 1/25/07 at 12:46pm

Be sure to check out the National Theatre which always has a few high quality offerings playing in rep at its various theaters. It's also very student friendly (with student group friendly prices) and may provide opportunities for workshops and/or talkbacks with the casts/directors/designers of the various shows.

http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 1/25/07 at 12:46 PM

Piercemn Profile Photo
Piercemn
#32re: What can I take high school students to see in London?
Posted: 1/25/07 at 1:56pm

Mary Poppins is marvelous. I loved it and saw it twice. Google the London Theatre Guide and see what's playing at the Royal Shakespeare Company, the Donmar Warehouse or the Old Vic. The Woman in Black is a definite consideration, and maybe Bloodbrothers.

There's always Mamma Mia, but my recommendation is to see things they might not get to see in the U.S. Of course, that would leave out Poppins. When I went in 2004, my friend liked The Mousetrap, but I went to see Dirty Blonde that night instead. If Journey's End is still playing, it's electrifying theatre,too.

NYC Visitor and Broadway Fan

Aqualline2 Profile Photo
Aqualline2
#33re: What can I take high school students to see in London?
Posted: 1/25/07 at 2:05pm

My school's going to london in May with a little over 30 kids.
we're going to see a show at Stratford, The Globe Theatre, and a West End production. It would be good to give them diversity in what they see.

MargoChanning
#34re: What can I take high school students to see in London?
Posted: 1/25/07 at 2:09pm

The Globe and Stratford are also excellent ideas for student groups. Both are very equipped to handle them and provide further educational opportunities beyond just the show itself (and usually make it easy for the kids to meet and talk with the actors after the show).

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

WalkOn
#35re: What can I take high school students to see in London?
Posted: 1/25/07 at 2:11pm

My advice would be to choose productions that they are not likely to see in the US. I know the temptation will be to take to see the popular West End touristy stuff that has tranfered from here...but serious consider taking them to see Shakespeare or Shaw as done by the Brits in the UK.

Otherwise it like going to the UK and eating McDonalds...what is the point?

Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart; and you'll never walk alone.
Updated On: 1/25/07 at 02:11 PM

Aqualline2 Profile Photo
Aqualline2
#36re: What can I take high school students to see in London?
Posted: 1/25/07 at 9:17pm

There's also opportunities to see some really great actors live. When we go to Stratford we're going to see Ian Mclellan in "The Seagull". It will take forever to get there but it will DEFINATLEY be worth it

Kristeliz Profile Photo
Kristeliz
#37re: What can I take high school students to see in London?
Posted: 1/25/07 at 9:58pm

Dirty Dancing.

wait. nevermind.

that might not fly.

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#38re: What can I take high school students to see in London?
Posted: 1/25/07 at 10:22pm

I thought by one musical one drama and one comedy that it was meant ONE musical and 2 plays...not 3.

I would say Wicked or LSOH something that everyone will like. Q will not do in a catholic school and Dirty Dancing caters to much to the women....but i like it.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#39re: What can I take high school students to see in London?
Posted: 1/25/07 at 10:22pm

sorry double post.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/
Updated On: 1/25/07 at 10:22 PM

Piercemn Profile Photo
Piercemn
#40re: What can I take high school students to see in London?
Posted: 1/25/07 at 10:42pm

Oh yes, I agree with Margo. I took the Globe Theatre tour and it was fantastic. They take you to the site where the Rose Theatre once stood and you could prepare them by showing Shakespeare in Love. It's well worth a visit.

NYC Visitor and Broadway Fan

goldes
#41re: What can I take high school students to see in London?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 8:51am

My vote for musicals would be Blood Brothers or Billy Elliot. Both are very British stories, which comment a lot on recent British history. Personally, I'd shy away from things you can already see in the US.

Agree with many of the play suggestions put forward already. You can't go wrong with the National or the RSC in Stratford-on-Avon. And The Globe is get a great education experience as well. Other Shakespeare option is The Tempest with Patrick Stewart. Haven't seen it yet, so can't comment on the reviews...

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#42re: What can I take high school students to see in London?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 9:26am

I agree, though both Blood Brothers and Billy Ellit have a lot of swearing in - it depends how 'Catholic' the school is...

And to second Margo - definitely check out what's on at the National, they have a varied program and will almost certainly be something of interest.