ABC Television Kiss Me, Kate

Fenchurch
#1ABC Television Kiss Me, Kate
Posted: 2/2/07 at 3:15pm

found the LP of the SOUNDTRACK of the made for television version of Kiss Me, Kate at a local record store. It says the record is/was not available in stores and that it was a limited edition.

Anyone know anything about the record/production?

thanks

"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." -Keen on Kean
"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." - muscle23ftl

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#2re: ABC Television Kiss Me, Kate
Posted: 2/2/07 at 3:24pm

I have this Lp and it is divine! Haven't seen the film but this is my favorite Kate disc and I wish it would be released on CD>

Fenchurch
#2re: ABC Television Kiss Me, Kate
Posted: 2/2/07 at 3:29pm

See! We have something in common!

Im listening to I hate men right now.
How much fun is this track? I love it!

It's obvious that people have been re-interpreting and reinventing pieces like this for years, so why do people get so upset at new interpretations in revivals and stuff?

I dont get it. It's all fun.

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#3re: ABC Television Kiss Me, Kate
Posted: 2/2/07 at 3:29pm

Is this the one with Alfred Drake and Patricia Morrison that was filmed in 1958?

Fenchurch
#4re: ABC Television Kiss Me, Kate
Posted: 2/2/07 at 3:36pm

No this is with Robert Goulet, Carol Lwrence, Jessica Walter and "special guest star" Michael Callan

Love, this already. Were thine...is a fun rhumba....how awesome is this recording. I almost passed over it because the cover looked cheesy, and so is the record, but what great cheese!

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#5re: ABC Television Kiss Me, Kate
Posted: 2/2/07 at 4:11pm

Oh man! I'd kill to hear it!

Dollypop
#6re: ABC Television Kiss Me, Kate
Posted: 2/2/07 at 4:50pm

I not only have the LP, but I actually saw the TV production. (Yup, I'm THAT old!) It was very good. My only complaint was that they cut "ANother Open'in, Another Show"

This was part of the Armstrong Circle Theater. They had also done BRIGADOON, CAROUSEL and KISMET.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Joshua488
#7re: ABC Television Kiss Me, Kate
Posted: 2/2/07 at 4:56pm

Wow, Kiss Me, Kate without "Another Op'nin', Another Show"? I can't imagine!

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#8re: ABC Television Kiss Me, Kate
Posted: 2/2/07 at 5:20pm

I'm coming to NYC in April and am planning a return visit to The Museum of Television and Radio. I wonder if they have this in their archive. My mom had the the Armstrong recording of "Brigadoon." I believe Goulet played Tommy and Sally Ann Howes played Fiona.

bwaylvsong
#9re: ABC Television Kiss Me, Kate
Posted: 2/2/07 at 6:37pm

A.) I'd KILL to see/hear this

B.) The 1954 movie also cut "Another Op'nin'

Piercemn Profile Photo
Piercemn
#10re: ABC Television Kiss Me, Kate
Posted: 2/2/07 at 7:33pm

Between 1967 and 1969, Armstrong Circle Theatre presented four musicals on TV. Robert Goulet starred in 3 of them.

Brigadoon costarred Peter Falk and Sally Ann Howes; Carousel featured Goulet, and I don't recall who played the other roles, except for Marlyn Mason (Broadway's How Now Dow Jones) as Carrie Pepperidge. She was also Meg Brockie in Brigadoon. Kiss Me Kate featured Carol Lawrence, Jessica Walter and Michael Callan. Jules Munshin was one of the gangsters and it's one of the last roles he did before he died. The fourth was Kismet with Alfred Drake and Anna Maria Alberghetti. The albums were available only at stores that sold Armstrong Flooring supplies. I had three, but missed out on the Kismet.

I would guess that they're at the Museum of TV and Radio. You might also consult the Musicals 101 website for more information.

NYC Visitor and Broadway Fan

Dollypop
#11re: ABC Television Kiss Me, Kate
Posted: 2/2/07 at 7:37pm

Kismet wasn't released as an LP. Are you sure Alfred Drake was in that> Why do I think Goulet also did that one?

Dollypop
#12re: ABC Television Kiss Me, Kate
Posted: 2/2/07 at 10:55pm

Suddenly I think Jose Ferrer was in the TV KISMET.

AJ1985 Profile Photo
AJ1985
#13re: ABC Television Kiss Me, Kate
Posted: 2/3/07 at 12:35am

The Lp's were pressed by Columbia Spcial Products but not sold in regular record stores. Of the 3 that were released I have only heard Carousel and it is uttrly dreadful. I would be curious to see the broadcasts, however I think NOTHING could compare with the 1958 KMK w/ Drake & Morrison.

Updated On: 2/3/07 at 12:35 AM

Piercemn Profile Photo
Piercemn
#14re: ABC Television Kiss Me, Kate
Posted: 2/3/07 at 11:40am

Thank you. You're right. I looked it up on IMdB and it was indeed Jose Ferrer. Alberghetti appeared in it, as did George Chakiris, Hans Conreid and Barbara Eden.
I didn't see it, and perhaps the reason I passed on the album was because it was not, indeed, released.

Of course this was 40 years ago and I was in Jr. High at the time, but I vaguely remember seeing the MGM Kismet and not being overly impressed with it. I seem to recall a version starring Marlene Dietrich that I liked better.

Ah, well, such is life. Thanks for clarifying.

NYC Visitor and Broadway Fan

Videos