Mr Roxy
#1There Should Be .....
Posted: 2/3/07 at 12:16pm

..... a new Tony Catergory: Best Song From A Musical

Poster Emeritus

Julian2
#2re: There Should Be .....
Posted: 2/3/07 at 12:46pm

Before the nay-sayers come on and give their logical reasons why it wouldn't work, I'll just give one this year where it could be highly reasonable.

Best Score; Spring Awakening
Best Song; "Another Winter in a Summer Town" Grey Gardens

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!
Updated On: 2/3/07 at 12:46 PM

Julian2
#2re: There Should Be .....
Posted: 2/3/07 at 12:46pm

Double Post

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!
Updated On: 2/3/07 at 12:46 PM

erikaamato
#3re: There Should Be .....
Posted: 2/3/07 at 12:51pm

I actually like the idea.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#4re: There Should Be .....
Posted: 2/3/07 at 1:10pm

Let's work on getting the voters to actually attend all the shows first. Bigger priority.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

myManCape Profile Photo
myManCape
#5re: There Should Be .....
Posted: 2/3/07 at 1:14pm

This has come up many times before. A lot of people say its unnecessary. Personally I like it, and it could add to the performances. Best Cast Recording is a Grammy category, but I think it would be nice to honor songwriters with a good song in a overall undeserving score.

Problems that arise:
Do some shows get 2 performances (1 for best musical 1 for best song?)
If only 1 performance it could cost a best leading actor/actress nominee the chance to perform.
If a song is good enough for a Tony, shouldn’t the score be nominated? Which results in double awards for more or less the same category.
You would need producers to petition for 1 or 2 songs from their show to be nominated. You can’t expect the nominating committee to rate every single song, from every show.

If they did it, it would have to be named something like Best New Song Written for the Stage. To disqualify songs from Jukebox musicals and movie musicals etc.

"Have they come yet?"

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#6re: There Should Be .....
Posted: 2/3/07 at 1:19pm

The Best Score "Honorable Mention" Award tends to fall under Best Orchestrations (MOVIN' OUT?).

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

myManCape Profile Photo
myManCape
#7re: There Should Be .....
Posted: 2/3/07 at 1:22pm

Exactly Foster, so by adding Best Original Song to the mix your giving 3 awards for more or less the same thing.

"Have they come yet?"

timote316
#8re: There Should Be .....
Posted: 2/3/07 at 7:37pm

OT, but to respond to Foster: MOVIN' OUT's orchestrations are fantastic.

gumbo2 Profile Photo
gumbo2
#9re: There Should Be .....
Posted: 2/3/07 at 7:42pm

I pretty much agree that it's an interesting idea but maybe a little impractical in reality. Like, they'd pretty much have to rank every song.

xM3L24x Profile Photo
xM3L24x
#10re: There Should Be .....
Posted: 2/3/07 at 9:33pm

I was thinking the other day that it would be interesting if they had a "best ensemble member" category.

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#11re: There Should Be .....
Posted: 2/3/07 at 9:43pm

i recently thoguht about that

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#12re: There Should Be .....
Posted: 2/3/07 at 11:36pm

It is interesting you should bring this up because I stumbled across my sheet music for "Any Dream Will Do" and it says "Best Broadway song 198(?)" under the title. I never knew there was such an award, and then thought the Tony's should add the category.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

DancNdaMoonlite Profile Photo
DancNdaMoonlite
#13re: There Should Be .....
Posted: 2/3/07 at 11:49pm

I agree, that would be a really good category.