Gutenberg the Musical!

bwaybabe3
#1Gutenberg the Musical!
Posted: 2/4/07 at 1:13pm

Anyone seen this off-broadway show? I searched and didn't find anything. Anyways, the guys in it are amazing, tickets are cheap, I totally recommend it!

#2re: Gutenberg the Musical!
Posted: 2/4/07 at 2:45pm

Saw it with my daughter on the 19th. Absolutely hilarious!

Prettylittlepicture2 Profile Photo
Prettylittlepicture2
#2re: Gutenberg the Musical!
Posted: 2/4/07 at 10:36pm

Saw it last night... HYSTERICAL. Loved every minute of it.

billygoatgirl300
#3re: Gutenberg the Musical!
Posted: 2/4/07 at 10:43pm

I saw it a few months ago and loved it!

The towel waving reminded me of a Per?nist rally. I kept chanting "Evita!" whenever they'd pan to the crowds. - SM2

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#4re: Gutenberg the Musical!
Posted: 5/2/07 at 6:45pm

Can someone tell me the running time of GUTENBERG?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 5/2/07 at 06:45 PM

iliketheater Profile Photo
iliketheater
#5re: Gutenberg the Musical!
Posted: 5/2/07 at 9:26pm

There is a thread on it, but I'm glad this one is up too. You guys should all go see it, especially now that it's closing.

re: Gutenberg the Musical!

Shakespearean Profile Photo
Shakespearean
#6re: Gutenberg the Musical!
Posted: 5/3/07 at 9:02am

I recommend this show to anyone who can get there before it closes. I went in expecting to look down my nose at it, and was soon snorting water through it. I haven't laughed that hard in ages, I hurt for days after. Run, don't walk, to see this show but definitely stop at the Rite Aid on the corner for some Depends. You'll need them! No joke, one lady in my row actually got up and said to her friend, "I have to find the ladies room, I think I peed myself".

Wanna Be A Foster
#7re: Gutenberg the Musical!
Posted: 5/3/07 at 9:07am

I was just about to bump this thread! I saw GUTENBERG for the first time last night! It announced a sudden closing notice last week for this Sunday, and I'm going away this weekend, and I knew I'd regret it if I missed it.

It was absolutely hysterical! David Turner has 100% completely redeemed himself from the IN MY LIFE fiasco. He was as cute as a button, and so funny! His subtle facial expressions were what really made his performance. I loved this show and I'm glad I got to see it before it closes!

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#8re: Gutenberg the Musical!
Posted: 5/3/07 at 1:05pm

If this doesn't win the Drama Desk for Best Book, I will be SOOOOO upset. This is one of the funniest shows I have ever seen. And David Turner is a god!

Wanna Be A Foster
#9re: Gutenberg the Musical!
Posted: 5/3/07 at 2:03pm

Don't miss this one, guys! It closes this Sunday!

-Kad

TulitaPepsi Profile Photo
TulitaPepsi
#10THE BIG BANG - GUTENBERG's Big Daddy?
Posted: 5/3/07 at 2:31pm

GUTENBERG is very similar to THE BIG BANG by Jed Feurer and Boyd Graham which played off-Broadway in 2000.

Astonishingly similar, in fact.

THE BIG BANG was negatively reviewed by Bruce Weber of the Times:

"The conceit is that the audience has been invited to a backer's audition for a spectacular new musical that purports to tell the history of the world from creation to the present. Mr. Feuer and Mr. Graham are there to give their potential investors a taste of the impending extravaganza, and they sing songs and act out scenes involving, among other people and events, Adam and Eve, Julius Caesar, Attila the Hun (Mr. Feuer doing Frank Sinatra), Columbus and the Irish potato famine. (Mr. Feuer contemplating his last potato: 'Should I have you boiled?/ Should I have you mashed?/ Or should I make you a knish?') Between numbers they race around frantically, stopping now and then for some supplicating show biz patter.

It all takes place in the opulent digs of a Dr. and Mrs. Lipbalm -- he's a proctologist, of course -- who are vacationing in Israel, and the two men employ the curtains, lampshades, slip covers, rolling tables and other household accouterments to suggest the characters they are playing. This is actually the cleverest element of the show.

.....the entire show seems purposely geared to the kind of Jewish middle-class audience that once kept Broadway afloat. This wouldn't be so bad if several portrayals in the show -- Nefertiti as a black soul diva; Queen Isabella as a Latina home girl, among others -- didn't affect inauthentic mimicry; neither of the two performers has the talent to lift these scenes from discomforting racial stereotyping. It's out of date stuff, to say the least; they should know better. The best number in the show, a Marlene Dietrich-like torch song sung by Mr. Feuer as Eva Braun, with the refrain, 'Loving him is where I went wrong,' works because it treats a deserving target with a kind of sympathy.

The show comes to an abrupt end when the Lipbalms phone in from the airport; they're home ahead of schedule. So, except for a catchall finale, the history of the world stops at Woodstock. It makes you wonder where these guys have been for the last 30 years. "

I saw THE BIG BANG and disagree with Mr. Weber's assesment - I thought it was hysterically funny (the Eva Braun song was a little masterpiece of comic writing) and sharp. IMHO, it was better than anything in GUTENBERG.
THE BIG BANG

"Hurry up and get into your conga clothes - we've got to do something to save this show!"
Updated On: 5/3/07 at 02:31 PM

MissNY
#11THE BIG BANG - GUTENBERG's Big Daddy?
Posted: 5/3/07 at 4:51pm

I've seen the show 3 times and plan to go again on Sunday for a final viewing. It's probably one of my absolute favorite shows. It's similar in feel to [tos] so if you liked that, you'll love this one.

Its about an hour and 40 min

Wanna Be A Foster
#12THE BIG BANG - GUTENBERG's Big Daddy?
Posted: 5/3/07 at 5:16pm

I went mainly on hearing that it was similar to [tos], because [tos] is my favorite musical of all time. And while I can see the similarities, I would say that [tos] had me laughing much more often throughout than GUTENBERG did. But, I still had a blast at GUTENBERG! The performers were fantastic, and I love it when writers think outside the box, and this show was a perfect example.

-Kad

Videos