Ian Richardson -- RIP

Mattbrain
#1Ian Richardson -- RIP
Posted: 2/9/07 at 2:38pm

This is the first paragraph of the article.

Ian Richardson, the theatre, film and TV star who earned a Tony nomination for his performance as Henry Higgins in the 1976 revival of My Fair Lady, has passed away at the age of 73.

Here's the rest of the article. And I would just like to say that he was amazing in The House of Cards:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=15715

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

WOSQ
#2re: Ian Richardson -- RIP
Posted: 2/9/07 at 2:46pm

Ian Richardson was a first in Broadway history.

In Marat/Sade he gave Broadway its first male bare butt. On talk shows he said there were binoculars.

Somebody had to break that barrier, and why not Mr. Richardson.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#2re: Ian Richardson -- RIP
Posted: 2/9/07 at 2:54pm

Ian Richardson had a remarkable career. I had the pleasure of seeing him in many productions by the Royal Shakespeare Company since 1967, both at Stratford and when they toured in this country. I saw him as Henry Higgins twice on Broadway in 1976 and found him to be perfection in that role, and far more sensitive than Rex Harrison in his portrayal. Richardson did many wonderful roles for television although he is rightly known best for The House of Cards, in which his asides to the viewer were amazing examples of irony and self-awareness. He had a small role in the recent BBC production of Bleak House. I am saddened by his death, and will miss him. Much too soon a loss...

joshy Profile Photo
joshy
#3re: Ian Richardson -- RIP
Posted: 2/9/07 at 6:06pm

I feel honoured to have seen his last stage performance in The Alchemist at the National Theatre just a few months ago.

bohemianxsunshine Profile Photo
bohemianxsunshine
#4re: Ian Richardson -- RIP
Posted: 2/9/07 at 7:02pm

That's unfortunate :/ My Fair Lady is one of my favorite shows,

theatre major, class of 2011 ♥
MARIAN: Well, what would you like to take out?
HAROLD HILL: The librarian.
MARIAN: Quiet, please!
HAROLD HILL: (whispering)The librarian.

I would like to invite you to Voices for Rent! The Official Rent fanbase! Come and join your fellow RENTheads!

Dollypop
#5re: Ian Richardson -- RIP
Posted: 2/9/07 at 9:06pm

I saw him play Higgins several times. He was excellent in the role.

"May flights of angels sing him to his rest."

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

pab Profile Photo
pab
#6re: Ian Richardson -- RIP
Posted: 2/9/07 at 10:52pm

"You might very well think that. I of course couldn't possibly comment."

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#7re: Ian Richardson -- RIP
Posted: 2/9/07 at 11:07pm

pab - Just spent a couple of hours watching House of Cards - every time Richardson says that, I smile.

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#8re: Ian Richardson -- RIP
Posted: 2/10/07 at 3:38am

I also saw his final performance, in The Alchemist. He played Sir Epicure Mammon and he delivered that character's torrent of bombast with wit and eloquence and wonderful timing. He was very funny and in every way superb. He went out in style.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

Videos